Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahesq View Post
How much were the J pipes (parts and labor) you added to your Borla system?

I have the factory GM NPP dual exhaust with quad tips. Can I add on the J pipes as you did?
I don't know. I haven't seen (or heard) your exhaust in person yet. What mode(s) are you hearing drone with?
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #30
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
The mechanic that works on my cars has a small performance shop where he does a lot of custom work. He is also on a pit crew for an NHRA team, and travels around the country on weekends when his team is racing. He really knows his stuff when it comes to mods, and I had him do my exhaust installation. Then I had the drone issue. I emailed him some pictures of other Solo j-pipe installations on Borla S exhausts, asking him if he could handle it. He called me right away and said from looking at the pictures I sent, he had some "ideas" and said that his goal was to make the installation as clean and hidden as possible, no visible hardware, bolts, threads or pipes. He said I would be pleased with his result and to trust him with doing it. Mine are not installed the way Solo typically installs them according to the pictures I got from others. He was able to tuck everything up and under the rear diffuser, with all bolts, pipes and hardware hidden. You literally have to get under the car to see it and the only thing visilble is the j-pipe welded to the exhaust pipe before the Borla muffler, and you really have to be looking for it to see it if you are driving behind my car. When I picked up my car, I was blown away by what he had done, and thanked him for putting his ideas to work for me. He had never done one of these j-pipe installations before.

I would recommend going to a small performance shop where they do custom exhaust pipe bending and mods to hot rods and such. They are used to this type of work. Make sure they will weld your j-pipes with stainless material. It may cost a bit more for the work to be done, but I would not go to your typical exhaust shop where they do work without much thought being put into it, and as quickly and cheaply as possible. You get what you pay for.

JMHO...
Install looks great! Do you know how large of a hole he cut in the Borla pipe before he weld the J Pipe on?

Does Solo just sell the J Pipes by themselves or is it part of some other kit?
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 View Post
Install looks great! Do you know how large of a hole he cut in the Borla pipe before he weld the J Pipe on?

Does Solo just sell the J Pipes by themselves or is it part of some other kit?
The instructions Solo provides with their j-pipes says to position the pipe and trace around the end of the j-pipe with a magic marker and cutting where the lines are making sure not to go too big.

They sell the j-pipes by themselves upon request. I contacted Steve at Solo directly and he hooked me up.
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Z/TA Rear Spoiler|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #32
Regio_42
Ready...Set...Gone.....

Drives: 10' Camaro SS/RS "Stacy"
I have a cherry bomb extreme on mine with j-pipes check out my car thread for pics. As for the j-pipes you adjust them in or out to fix the drone at different rpm. I had to move mine about two times and marked the place in with a sharpie to keep track, but as far as it goes drone is gone with j-pipes, buy them now!!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #33
ahesq

Drives: 2014 C7, 3LT, manual
Factory GM NPP dual mode exhaust definitely has drone 1200-2000 rpm, no question about it. It's getting quieter as I put some miles on my new system (400 miles so far), but 6th gear on the highway while applying any throttle breeds a headache. They should have engineered these mufflers better. However, wide open throttle above 3000 rpm sounds awesome.

Checked out welding J pipes like on the Borla system, but there is no room with the existing factory NPP mufflers.

Last edited by ahesq; 05-10-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: added line
ahesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #34
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Getting mine installed next week with the stainless works retro chambered catback
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #35
Anaconda

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 6-speed VR
Quote:
Factory GM NPP dual mode exhaust definitely has drone 1200-2000 rpm, no question about it. It's getting quieter as I put some miles on my new system (400 miles so far), but 6th gear on the highway while applying any throttle breeds a headache. They should have engineered these mufflers better. However, wide open throttle above 3000 rpm sounds awesome.

Checked out welding J pipes like on the Borla system, but there is no room with the existing factory NPP mufflers.
Same here. I'm debating on going the J-pipe route on my NPP mufflers. When I first had the exhaust installed I thought I could deal with it but then again as time went on...the drone was also giving me a headache.
Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #36
photonfury
I wanna go fast!!!!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
i just got the J-pipes here yesterday, i'll update after the install on the effect it has.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #37
Anaconda

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 6-speed VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by photonfury View Post
i just got the J-pipes here yesterday, i'll update after the install on the effect it has.
Cool. What mufflers are you running?
Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
photonfury
I wanna go fast!!!!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I actually have the solo mach x, and i just added the solo high flow cats and the drone became a bit more prominent.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #39
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:

Really? I think something may be wrong. My system is non-existent on the highway. With flaps closed, I hear nothing.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #40
Rugbypud

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3 (stock...for now
Anyone have any recommendation?

I have a 2010 SS with under 25k miles and the muffler baffles from the factory POS exhaust are loose so the car sounds like a rumbling tin can. I want to put on something more aggressive, but i also live in Northern VA where they pull you over for tinted windows and looking like you are driving fast.

I like the Corsa (14951) and the Borla (S-type or Touring, but afraid S-type might be too loud). From what everyone is saying the j pipes might be requried for the S-type to avoid drone, but has anyone used the Corsa or Borla Touring and can confirm there wouldnt be drone? Currently the car is 100% factory, performance-wise anyway.
Rugbypud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #41
acr3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Rugypud, NO Drone with Corsa system. 2010 SS Camaro, auto, Kooks FL headers, HP cats, X pipe. I wish the sound was a little deeper rumble w/ Corsa but, as I understand, this is how they sound.
acr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #42
Road dog

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS COnvertible
Hello,

I have the Borla S type on a 2014 SS Vert, the exhaust sounds gret but around 1500 to 2000 rpm the drone monster pops out. I have a range which helps but the drone on cold start and the stated rpm does not work for me. I was going to ebay the Borla exhaust but the Solso J pipoes are my last option. Will the J pipes take the bog out of the 1500-2000rpm range?
Road dog is offline   Reply With Quote