Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #1
cheap

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
1LE Sub Install (for the 1LE subforum)

I'm almost done acquiring all of the components for my subwoofer installation and I've noticed some differences between the 1LE and other stock 1SS setups. Following a few guides posted on Camaro6 I expected to find the non-bose amp in my trunk under the lid but the only component in there is the magnetic ride controller. It turns out our amp is located in the passenger compartment behind the passenger side rear plastic paneling (according to the local Chevy parts department). I don't think we have rear deck speakers either although I don't know if that's standard for the 1SS or not.

I'll take a few pictures as I get my stuff in to help document the process for future installers.

My setup will be two 12" Sound Solution Audio Icon subs powered by one Synergy Audio WFO 15.1D 2500W amp. I'm going to be using an LC2i processor to source my RCA signal with a "sub of thump" amp integration harness (edit: doesn't work) and forward facing box.

[IMG]http://********.com/popup_image.php?pID=554&image=0[/IMG]

Last edited by cheap; 05-30-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: moved to an inappropriate subforum, 1LE specific
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
Sub-scribed... sounds like a cool project. Doing sound dampening too...?
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
cheap

No, I don't believe in sound dampening material; it adds cost and weight when the real culprit is usually two panels vibrating against each other. I've had much greater success in the past laying small beads of clear silicone sealant (RTV) between where panels vibrate against each other (with the pieces disassembled, of course, so they don't get glued together) since dried RTV has a rubbery quality. You'd probably be able to get away with slipping those tiny felt pads Home Depot sells between the two panels (the ones they sell for the bottoms of chair legs and stuff to prevent scratching floors) since they'll also help put tension between the panels and dampen the plastic-on-plastic vibrations.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
davef

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Garnet Red
Subbed as well.
Like you I went into the trunk expecting to find a non Bose amp. Nada. It's good to know you found the amp.
davef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
SpeedLimit

Drives: 2019 F150
project still in the works ?
SpeedLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #6
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
No one has found the amp location in the 1LE.

I simple found an amp that accepts high level input and auto power sensing and tied it to the rear passenger speaker.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
davef

OP seems to think the amp is beneath the passenger side rear plastic panel. And I remember seeing a pic of it but haven't been able to find it since then.

As soon as it gets warm here I'm going to start the speaker swap and I'll find the amp then.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
OP seems to think the amp is beneath the passenger side rear plastic panel. And I remember seeing a pic of it but haven't been able to find it since then.

As soon as it gets warm here I'm going to start the speaker swap and I'll find the amp then.
I'm not sure where this rumor originated from but there is no amp behind the passenger side rear plastic panel. The speaker wire goes right into the loom.

thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
davef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
It turns out our amp is located in the passenger compartment behind the passenger side rear plastic paneling (according to the local Chevy parts department).
From the original post in this thread. Yet another example of dealer knowledge.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
cheap

Back from my deployment and trying to get this project knocked out. Pulled the panel pictured above and I also do not have an amp in this location. I called the parts department at Stingray Chevy in Plant City, FL and was told the part showing up there is a radio antenna amplifier. Further digging revealed the external amp comes with option UQ4 on the SS and the 1LEs have UQ3 installed, so there's a strong chance we don't have an external amp at all. I'm going to see if the 'sub of thump' will take my harness back and just tap my LC2i into a rear speaker.

Last edited by cheap; 05-15-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #11
davef

That sucks. It would have been awesome to just replace the amp and speakers and call it a day. Looks like speaker level signal is the only way to go.

By the way, does anyone have an impedance value for the stock speakers? I remember seeing that they're 2 Ohm but I'd like proof from someone here.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #12
cheap

I measured the speaker and it read 4 ohms.

Made good progress today and didn't waste my effort pulling that side rear inside panel, although I did break the connector on the actual speaker in the process. I used the opportunity to tap the speaker wires for an input source on my LC2i, which is mounted and wired completely now. I put the converter and amp under my rear deck, hanging above the speaker box in the trunk area. Turned out to be a good use of space and helped keep the wiring really clean. The amp is wired but the positive cable isnt connected yet; I still need to mount my fuse holder. I have the spot picked out and holes made but ran out of hardware.

I still need to install the subs in the box and wire them up, finish the positive cable and re-tap the switched DC source since my tiny 18ga wire didn't splice very well. I'll post pictures of everything when I'm done, including the fuse box where I spliced my hot and switched power sources and the battery area. I also need to drill a hole in my center console storage area for the amp gain control knob signal wire and mount the knob in there. Lastly I'll need to tune all the amp and controller settings; I've never not had sub pre-outs and have read that the LC2i can compensate for factory settings that cut bass at high volumes to protect cheap factory speakers and will likely need to set that up.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #13
davef

Thanks for the info on the speakers. I'm looking forward to pics!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:16 PM   #14
cheap

Pictures: The rear side panel removed, the radio amplifier, my 4ga (green) wire next to the stock power (red) wire, and my amp and controller mounted under the rear deck.
Attached Images