Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
GY SC3's corded after 15 track sessions and 5,500 miles?!

As the title says, I just discovered that my front GY SC3's are corded on the inside edges after 15 track sessions and 5,500 miles/4 months of daily driving with the track alignment specified for the ZL1.

I was surprised by this as I thought it would be the outside shoulders that would cord first, they sure look like they are about too as well since there are no groves or tread channels left on the outsides edges of the front tires.

I remember some forum members saying that the SC3R's corded first on the inside for them, so perhaps GY designed these similar in that regard.

Has anyone else had these tires cord on the inside before the outside? And if so, after how many track sessions and/or miles on the road?
Old 09-29-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
What is your front toe? Toe out, even a little will kill the inner shoulder. Add lots of street driving and more negative camber, all of which stress the inner shoulder.

Do you have a picture of the tires? If you wore the outer shoulder too, then it sounds like you got all the good out of them!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
It is normal on the Camaro platform. It is due to a dynamic toe change mid-corner when the inside, unweight tire basically gets a crap tone of toe out and is "dragged" through the corner. Nothing you can do to change it.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #4
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
It is normal on the Camaro platform. It is due to a dynamic toe change mid-corner when the inside, unweight tire basically gets a crap tone of toe out and is "dragged" through the corner. Nothing you can do to change it.
Good to know, thanks Sean.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
What is your front toe? Toe out, even a little will kill the inner shoulder. Add lots of street driving and more negative camber, all of which stress the inner shoulder.

Do you have a picture of the tires? If you wore the outer shoulder too, then it sounds like you got all the good out of them!
I'm going to go back to the street alignment until next track season and I'll check to see how much the alignment changed since it was set in May earlier this year, but based on what Sean is saying, it sounds like this is normal.

I'll try to remember to take some pics, basically one of the tires was so corded that the metal strands were sticking up and out of the surface of the tire and stabbed me when I grabbed the tire.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I'm going to go back to the street alignment until next track season and I'll check to see how much the alignment changed since it was set in May earlier this year, but based on what Sean is saying, it sounds like this is normal.

I'll try to remember to take some pics, basically one of the tires was so corded that the metal strands were sticking up and out of the surface of the tire and stabbed me when I grabbed the tire.
You should be checking tire condition between sessions, especially given that this seems to be a known issue with this chassis. At the very least, once the tires have finished their 10th session. Sooner with the 'R' tires.

Gloves. In purely street driving, it's also the odd shard of glass, nail, sharp-edged stone, etc., that hasn't punctured all the way through that you're protecting yourself from.

It's also another reason to run dedicated track tires. Carrying an OE wheel/tire as a full size spare means you don't have to drive home on a corded tire hoping it'll hold up, or that you'll have to rely on some fix-a-flat-in-a-can. Worst case, you have to load it into the car and take it out (twice).

Better yet would be to bring two street tires as spares in case you cord a track tire or hit somebody else's debris and flatten one early in the day (you'd change both sides for reasons of symmetry). You probably wouldn't be able to maintain the same pace and the handling would be somewhat different, but you wouldn't be throwing a big part of what you paid for away either (and might learn something).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-30-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Always the insides, I now had my alignment set to zero toe and over inflate the front tires for street driving to try and make the center balloon a bit...
Attached Images

TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
It is normal for tires to cord on the inside and not just on Camaros.

In another related thread, i had mentioned that tire wear depends on several factors, including driver skill.
Also as mentioned before, no doubt by focusing on laptimes vs learning, you over drive the car. At times inducing massive amounts of understeer without correcting it. This will shorten life of any tire, the softer the faster. Food for thought about your plan to go with G3R next season.

As Sean has commented, not much can be done, except for learning to drive smoother (and faster without scrubbing speed). But all tires will eventually cord. Especially track focused tires like G3 (and softer).

As Norm has said, checking tires, brakes, etc should be done after each session and become a habit. Tires can get cut on sharp curbs, wheels can crack, etc.

Perhaps a good time to re-read my notes ive sent ya a while back and reflect on how to get better next season? It is extremely difficult to self coach oneself even as a top skill driver. For a beginner it is outright impossible.

Having said all that, dont get discouraged. You are just starting up. Still tons to learn and still tons of pace to gain - with less tire wear - guaranteed cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #9
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Same thing happened to mine. About 8500 miles and 7 track days on the short but rough pavement of the local track. Very inside was corded - didn't see it and almost did another track day on them, until I was under the car changing oil and noticed it. Had to scramble to get another pair.

Front alignment has probably been knocked out a bit - haven't had it aligned since last August.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #10
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
You should be checking tire condition between sessions, especially given that this seems to be a known issue with this chassis. At the very least, once the tires have finished their 10th session. Sooner with the 'R' tires.

Norm
After 10 sessions huh? Most guys here seemed to be getting up to 25 sessions on these SC3 tires, so I figured I wouldn't have to check until closer to 20 sessions. I was wrong. I guess that's what happens on a 19 turn track that I'm doing in 1:23.5 combined with hard driving.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 PM   #11
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Always the insides, I now had my alignment set to zero toe and over inflate the front tires for street driving to try and make the center balloon a bit...
Did you noticed much different in the feel when you took the toe out?
Old 09-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #12
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
Same thing happened to mine. About 8500 miles and 7 track days on the short but rough pavement of the local track. Very inside was corded - didn't see it and almost did another track day on them, until I was under the car changing oil and noticed it. Had to scramble to get another pair.

Front alignment has probably been knocked out a bit - haven't had it aligned since last August.
Just changed my front tires today and got it realigned back to street settings after it had been aligned to track specifications in May.

Camber had moved from of -2.0 to -2.5 on the front passenger side but stayed about the same on the front driver side going from -2.0 to -1.7.

Toe had gone from +.02 on both front tires to -.13 and -.08 before the re-alignment back to street settings. Now that I think about it, the dealership never set the toe right, seeing as how track alignment recommends .1 to .15, not sure if that's a big deal or not.

Also not sure if that kind of camber and toe change is normal after about 15 twenty minute track sessions and 5000 miles.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post

This tire still has tons of life left, except for the cords of course. Which is quite different from overall wear leading to eventual cording (see pic). Perhaps your toe walked?
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2019, 10:05 PM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Just changed my front tires today and got it realigned back to street settings after it had been aligned to track specifications in May.

Camber had moved from of -2.0 to -2.5 on the front passenger side but stayed about the same on the front driver side going from -2.0 to -1.7.

Toe had gone from +.02 on both front tires to -.13 and -.08 before the re-alignment back to street settings. Now that I think about it, the dealership never set the toe right, seeing as how track alignment recommends .1 to .15, not sure if that's a big deal or not.

Also not sure if that kind of camber and toe change is normal after about 15 twenty minute track sessions and 5000 miles.
Very abnormal and a huge deal for both specs.
Ps Mine havent moved in 3 seasons.
Pss find another shop asap!!!

Tags
corded, goodyear, sc3, track