Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #1
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
Cold Air Intake

What's the best cold air intake out here for these cars? I know JLT had one for the 5th gen with 25rwhp/rwtq peak power and 36 throughout the full pull(with a tune). Last I heard from them, they have no interest in making one for the 6th gen. So far the best I've seen is 14rwhp(without a tune).

Last edited by SSNYSTR; 08-17-2016 at 10:31 AM.
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
The Roto-fab system is honestly built like no other CAI in the world. Our preliminary dyno tests were great (12+ peak HP gain). And we are looking forward to seeing more independent tests come out!

You can find more information on this system's development and release here:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443153
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463253

Thank you for your time, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions specific to our system.

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Lord Dirt

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Was wondering the same. Many out now and many claim certain numbers but how do we know what they are saying is correct?

Roto-Fab - 12+ HP

aFe Momentum GT Pro Stage-2 - no numbers yet

CAI - 11+ HP

Mishimoto - 14+ HP
Lord Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Captain Slow

Drives: 2017 SS
Mods should make a sticky with a running list of available intakes along with info for each. Another for headers and exhaust...

Like every other forum has to avoid 4, "whats the best cai" threads a day.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #5
Roto-fab 1

Since testing last, we have increased our air box and air filter size, and we've also made a few key changes to the MAF housing. We fully expect to see gains in the 15-18 hp range with our production system.

As I'm sure many of you are, we're looking forward to seeing some dyno results come out for all of the available CAIs
Old 08-18-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
davet435
davet

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic Black
Send a message via Yahoo to davet435
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
What about the GM Intake?
Last I heard it still wasn't available. I went a different route so haven't been checking on it.
2/8/16 3000 TPW 2/29
2/18/16 3400
3/3/16 3800
3/4/16 4B00
3/5/16 4300
3/7/16 4200!!!
davet435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #7
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Most people considering a cold air intake are looking for more power. Cold Air Inductions delivers that and then some! We get the basics right with systems that provide more airflow without needing an ECM tune. Our systems use thermal barriers and coatings to keep the air inlet temp as cool as it can be: Cooler air means denser air which means more power. Our made in the USA systems feature aluminum construction with all TIG welding, air-filter view window, ¼-turn fasteners to make servicing the lifetime filter easy and a lifetime warranty. And they provide a deep, performance air-intake sound when you accelerate hard. You can learn more about what sets Cold Air Inductions apart from the rest here: https://www.coldairinductions.com/cold-air-intakes/about/

Kyle J. Lesch
Director of Sales & Marketing
Cold Air Inductions, Inc.
810-392-9999 Ext. 903
klesch@coldairinductions.com
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
SSNYSTR

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Since testing last, we have increased our air box and air filter size, and we've also made a few key changes to the MAF housing. We fully expect to see gains in the 15-18 hp range with our production system.

As I'm sure many of you are, we're looking forward to seeing some dyno results come out for all of the available CAIs
That is 15-18rwhp without the tune? Did y'all do one with a tune to see?
SSNYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Watch this CAI test vid from Sledge. He tested the CAI and Mishimoto vs stock.

Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #10
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post

SEE OUR RESPONSE TO THIS VIDEO:

Hello Sledgehammer,

We know that many fellow Camaro enthusiasts appreciate the videos that you provide and we are aware that you add a great deal of value and input to the aftermarket world. We would like to share some of our experiences and knowledge pertaining to dyno pulls and the 2016 V8 Camaro in general, we have been working with this particular vehicle longer than any other aftermarket cold air intake manufacturer.

1) It takes a great deal of air in front of this vehicle when doing dyno pulls to simulate real life situations and see the results.

2) Also, we noticed that you did the dyno pulls with the hood open, this does not simulate real life driving conditions as you would not be driving down the road with the hood open. We ask that when you test our system vs. other systems (especially those systems without an air box lid) that you test them all with the hood closed. The systems without a lid will obviously show more airflow with the hood open but this is not real life driving conditions. This is the only way to compare apples to apples.

3) Obviously, as you stated in your video, it was an extremely hot and humid day. The only way to compare (apples to apples) is to run them on the same day and with the hood closed. Note: A cold air intake system with a sealed lid will not benefit from having the hood open while testing. However, a system with no lid will benefit (falsely) from testing with the hood open due to pumping losses. When the hood is closed (real life driving conditions) this will seal the box that has no lid.

We look forward to seeing your future aftermarket cold air intake system comparisons! Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.

PS: Keep those videos coming, we enjoy watching your views and insight on the Gen 6 Camaros.

Kyle J. Lesch
810-392-9999 Ext. 903
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
SEE OUR RESPONSE TO THIS VIDEO:

Hello Sledgehammer,

We know that many fellow Camaro enthusiasts appreciate the videos that you provide and we are aware that you add a great deal of value and input to the aftermarket world. We would like to share some of our experiences and knowledge pertaining to dyno pulls and the 2016 V8 Camaro in general, we have been working with this particular vehicle longer than any other aftermarket cold air intake manufacturer.

1) It takes a great deal of air in front of this vehicle when doing dyno pulls to simulate real life situations and see the results.

2) Also, we noticed that you did the dyno pulls with the hood open, this does not simulate real life driving conditions as you would not be driving down the road with the hood open. We ask that when you test our system vs. other systems (especially those systems without an air box lid) that you test them all with the hood closed. The systems without a lid will obviously show more airflow with the hood open but this is not real life driving conditions. This is the only way to compare apples to apples.

3) Obviously, as you stated in your video, it was an extremely hot and humid day. The only way to compare (apples to apples) is to run them on the same day and with the hood closed. Note: A cold air intake system with a sealed lid will not benefit from having the hood open while testing. However, a system with no lid will benefit (falsely) from testing with the hood open due to pumping losses. When the hood is closed (real life driving conditions) this will seal the box that has no lid.

We look forward to seeing your future aftermarket cold air intake system comparisons! Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss this further.

PS: Keep those videos coming, we enjoy watching your views and insight on the Gen 6 Camaros.

Kyle J. Lesch
810-392-9999 Ext. 903
Yes, this would make a difference in some set ups, (like the Roto-Fab) but all 3 boxes were closed off to outside air. The only difference I could see was the thermal lining on CAI's box. which could in theory keep the thermal transfer of heat from the engine cooler.

E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
What about the GM Intake?
Last we heard still a couple months out. Around SEMA time.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
Roto-fab 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post

Interesting testing and review. We look forward to seeing Roto-fab put the power down in a Lethal Hammer Production!!

We fully expect to see an honest 15-18 HP gain.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #14
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Here is my thing and just my opinion. I have ran both Roto-Fab and C.A.I intakes on my 5th Gens. I really like Roto-Fabs design this year for the SS going from a metal box to a plastic to keep the heat out. I think C.A.I should have stuck with the metal insulated intake tube versus whatever that is they have now. Does not look like that tube belongs on a high hp Camaro...maybe a drift car. Roto-Fab spent a lot of R&D time getting it right and ending up before release going with even a bigger box and filter. I also like that their box is fully closed except for the top that is closed once the hood is shut. I think that is a better overall design in my opinion. The C.A.I I had on my 2014 SS looked nice and had a top with insulation inside to help with heat but the bottom of the box did not fully enclose because of gaps between their box and the Camaro's engine bay. When I had both systems on my 2014 SS with factory NPP exhaust you could hear a big difference between the two from the exhaust note and I could feel it from the pedal as well. The Roto-Fab had more of a deep rumble and a better sound and feel wise when mashing down the pedal. The C.A.I kind of had a bogged down sound and I could feel that at the pedal as well. I am going with Roto-Fab for my Gen 6 SS and will do a unboxing and install video once I get my hands on it. Also will do a video for sound at the intake and inside the cabin because I went with the sound tube delete. Don't get me wrong both companies put out a great intake and a quality product so I am not here trying to knock either company. Just my opinion. Thanks

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer

Last edited by Hyper1SS; 08-19-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote