Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #29
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
$360 for 4 slotted and drilled rotors , pads front and rear along with the hardware kits for all 4 corners. Granted my brakes aren't Brembos . Also about 4 hours of my time. Would have been less time but the front rotors decided they wanted to be whores about coming off. Had to beat the piss out of them to get them off the front hubs .
Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #30
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I did a ZL1 upgrade on the front for about 800 an that's powder coating and new vented pistons.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 AM   #31
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
I don't think your invoice is out of line for dealership work. You will always pay a premium when you have them do work. I had to have my inlaws' Buick diognosed for a battery draining issue. It was something I very well could have done myself but lack of time kept me from doing it. 2.5 hours and $300 diagnostic fees later it was found the driver door module not going to sleep and keeping the BCM awake. Dealer wanted $574 for the part plus more shop time. That whole deal would have been near $1000. I told them I'd pick it up while it's apart and figure it out myself. One click off eBay and $49 later it was fixed.

While the Buick was there I quoted replacing the rear air ride shocks. Cost and labor was again around $1000. Did some internet searching and found where GM sourced the shocks from. Replaced them under 30 minutes for $100 total.

Story here is that usually you will always save money doing it yourself. You need to make the decision what YOUR time is worth though.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:22 AM   #32
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Here's my thoughts. There's about $700 in parts you listed, if you buy retail. Online prices are discounted and are not generally what is quoted in the service lane. I just bought those parts online and it was around $500 to my door. This included all the pins and springs.

So, you paid approximately $700 for parts and $450 for labor. This seems perfectly in line with typical dealer charges I would expect. The job probably flat rates 4 hours and the experienced tech probably does it in 1/4 to 1/3 that time. You may not like that cost, but it's about what you'll pay at any dealer imo.

I didn't like the thought of dealer charges and did the fronts myself today. It took this 61 year old man, one week out of throat surgery, on pain meds, never did camaro brakes, about 3 hours total, including replacing the front hubs.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #33
gmpartsman

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS IBM
thats why i asked to see the invoice as it didnt sound right. prices are accurate for GM parts,maybe they could of offered you AC-DELCO and saved you some money. we always give the customer the option and let them decide if they want OEM or AC-Delco..
Glad to hear that they reached out to you and at least attempted to put some cream on the burn...
gmpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote