Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
How do I clean my engine / bay

My engine bay and engine plastics are all very dirty, it's a dusty state here, wondering what's the best way to detail it. Make it look nice and new. Power wash? What do you guys do?
Knockoutpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Step one: Use search button.
Step two: follow directions of one of the 564619593 identical threads.

Works every time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
Power wash? What do you guys do?
I would advise against using a power washer, a garden hose with a good adjustable nozzle is what I would suggest. My engine compartment never gets dirty enough that I need to wash it down, I just use APC and towels to clean the compartment.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Use a good APC, but just remember to cover up delicate parts(ie. fuse box). Grab a boars hair brush and wash away. No power washers please as a garden hose will do.

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
Just search for Junkman engine bay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Step one: Use search button.
Step two: follow directions of one of the 564619593 identical threads.

Works every time.

Dude, your one of the most knowledgable and respected people on this sub-forum, but you really need to take a break and chill out with the smart a$$ answers before you lose that respect. He's just asking for a little advice is all. If you don't think he deserves an answer, then don't respond. I think most of us are guilty of asking a question or two that has already been asked and answered.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Knockoutpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Dude, your one of the most knowledgable and respected people on this sub-forum, but you really need to take a break and chill out with the smart a$$ answers before you lose that respect. He's just asking for a little advice is all. If you don't think he deserves an answer, then don't respond. I think most of us are guilty of asking a question or two that has already been asked and answered.
Thanks dog, i'd give you a fist bump if I could.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
I really could not care less if I have the respect of a bunch of strangers on the internet. My contributions speak for themselves and people not taking the time to help themselves is disrespectful to those of us that have spent countless hours and thousands of dollars to help everyone else for free.

Questions like this would get absolutely torn up on any serious detailing forum (or any other forum) , but here on C5 all it gets you is an occasional smart ass jab from me. Not really a big deal and no need to take it personally.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS

Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.

But OP a few things to pick up:
-Good All Purpose Cleaner, most are same, I recommend Megs D103/Adams APC
-Few good brushes to reach cracks, a wide boars hair and thin paint brush trim/lug style
-Nice protectant/dressing, Adams Super VRT, and In/Out Spray or Megs D45
-Fire hose nozzle will make it easier as well, can get one for like 10 bucks
-Utility MF towels

Wash and use plenty APC and make sure its all rinsed off, dry thoroughly and dress after. Easy and will make next cleaning much easier.
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
Knockoutpie

Quote:
I really could not care less if I have the respect of a bunch of strangers on the internet. My contributions speak for themselves and people not taking the time to help themselves is disrespectful to those of us that have spent countless hours and thousands of dollars to help everyone else for free.

Questions like this would get absolutely torn up on any serious detailing forum (or any other forum) , but here on C5 all it gets you is an occasional smart ass jab from me. Not really a big deal and no need to take it personally.

Curious as to how you spent 1000's of dollars if you're helping people for free.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
Curious as to how you spent 1000's of dollars if you're helping people for free.
You really haven't looked around here at all.

Buying all these products, and hundreds more, testing them and spreading the info. For free. Don't take my word for it though, feel free to read the 100s of members thanks:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418

I know Roshan has spent probably as much, if not more than me on products for review as well.

We also offer to teach, demonstrate, and help detail local member cars for free, which not only eats into my business, but takes away my free time.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Bobaloo
Member "O'l Farts"

Drives: 2012 SS Coupe/Automatic/Sunroof
I want to know if that chick from Adams products will come over and do my engine bay......Lordy Lord!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3 GONE....
Quote:

Pure Tools! Well good thing were not hovering all day on "serious detailing forums" Dont wanna get "Torn Up" either by a bunch of expert tools holding trophies. Guess we will just stay on C5 and ask real questions and hope we dont run into a proven expert to avoid the "tear up"

Maybe the OP can get some more normal answers. I too was wanting to hear something that made sense. O well off to the deathly waters of the "serious, hardcore, superduper, detaling forum pond"!

VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote