The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-10-2015, 12:09 PM   #29
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
If you don't believe me... then come down to south FL and I'll take you as a passenger for 30 minutes in very fast hot laps in the advanced group. You can can eyeball my car's temps nonstop while I accelerate and corner hard enough for you to get nauseous... or even puke.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #30
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Let's keep this "overheating" in perspective. I assume you're referring to Pobst's hot laps at Road Atlanta earlier this summer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
^ Exactly... too many who don't even own one let alone track the car easily jump to conclusions.
While I don't own one, I do plenty of track events myself and have come across a few C7 Z06's. One in particular was having cooling issues. Perhaps it was due to it being end of spring here in Houston and temps weren't favorable. It was well beyond the "86 F" that GM designs their cars around. Having said that, my ZL1 wasn't having any cooling issues that entire weekend.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #31
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
While I don't own one, I do plenty of track events myself and have come across a few C7 Z06's. One in particular was having cooling issues. Perhaps it was due to it being end of spring here in Houston and temps weren't favorable. It was well beyond the "86 F" that GM designs their cars around. Having said that, my ZL1 wasn't having any cooling issues that entire weekend.
I won't disagree with that... in late June when ambients were quite high in PBIR FL, there were three C7's in the same group as me that experienced very high transmission temps (from 270 to as high as upper 290s). High humidity didn't help. All 3 were automatic C7's and they weren't even consistently lapping as fast as I was. My oil temp that day got to the high 260s (for my 2 fastest laps therefore not sustained) but it definitely rose although not to the point nor past the red danger zone (i.e. 280 and above).

My highest ever so far was 276 at Homestead last month on nearly a 100 degree day and very humid... fast lapping for nearly 30 mins. No overheating but you can clearly see the C7 Z06 can get quite high in oil temps especially when keeping rpm's hovering above 5k in 3rd gear... shifting near redline too. No issues with my coolant, diff or trans temps. Tires do get hot... particularly the right F&R tires due to the track having more left infield turns and counterclockwise high speed banks.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #32
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I have this magazine sitting on my living room table. I can wait to read it this weekend!