Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
Rulerof52

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
Help - Need to get a new key and fob

Hey everyone,
I recently had a bag stolen that had my 2013 2lt Camaro keys inside. Thankfully i had a spare key (no fob) that my brother drove out to me. But now i need to get another key and fob. I called my nearest dealer, and they want about $50 for the key, $50 for programming, and $75 for the fob. I'm sure there's a cheaper way to do this.

I read a few posts on these forums (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93145) saying that the key is easily programmable, and you can buy it from Ebay or a similar site. Something about inserting the old key, turning the car on, turning it off, and quickly inserting the new key, and turning the car on. However i have a few questions.

Will this process work if i don't currently have the fob? All i have is the key blade.
I have the remote start capability on my Camaro. Will the programming set up remote start as well, assuming my key has the button?
Where do you recommend buying the key and fob? I usually shy away from Ebay and prefer more reputable retailers..

Thanks in advance for helping me with this noob question.
Rulerof52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
I would be sure to get the car locks changed completely so that the keys that were stolen don't find their way back to your vehicle...
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Rulerof52

Thankfully i was far from my home when the keys got stolen so i'm sure there's no way they could find my car.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
TangoMike

Drives: 2012 2ls RS V6 Auto
Key, and separate fob? I thought they all had the remote built into the key?

I paid about $50 for mine. That was it. And to program it, they told me what to do, and to do it before I left. And if I had a problem to ask for help.
I'd say go somewhere else if they want $50 to take 15 seconds to program it.
TangoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulerof52 View Post
Hey everyone,
I recently had a bag stolen that had my 2013 2lt Camaro keys inside. Thankfully i had a spare key (no fob) that my brother drove out to me. But now i need to get another key and fob. I called my nearest dealer, and they want about $50 for the key, $50 for programming, and $75 for the fob. I'm sure there's a cheaper way to do this.

I read a few posts on these forums (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93145) saying that the key is easily programmable, and you can buy it from Ebay or a similar site. Something about inserting the old key, turning the car on, turning it off, and quickly inserting the new key, and turning the car on. However i have a few questions.

Will this process work if i don't currently have the fob? All i have is the key blade.
I have the remote start capability on my Camaro. Will the programming set up remote start as well, assuming my key has the button?
Where do you recommend buying the key and fob? I usually shy away from Ebay and prefer more reputable retailers..

Thanks in advance for helping me with this noob question.
It should work for the key, but I don't know how you would program the remote. If you do have the dealer do it he can disable your missing key and remote.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Rulerof52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMike View Post
Key, and separate fob? I thought they all had the remote built into the key?
If i understand this correctly, the Camaro keys were originally a switchblade style where the key was built into the fob. However due to a recall (people would hit their knee on the key/fob and turn off the engine while driving) dealers had to separate the key from the fob.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Not really sure but I think it was in 2013 where they stopped the key on the fob thing. Several folks were having trouble with knees hitting the key fob and breaking off in the ignition or shutting off the car while in motion. Think there was a big recall for it on the 2010-2012 model years. My 2015 keys are separate from the remote fob. I'm good with that. The fob stays in my pocket and the only thing in the ignition is the key with nothing dangling from it.

ninja'ed ^

Other than what's in the manual, doesn't really say anything about programming a remote fob, just the key, I don't really know of any after market solutions to replacement keys and fobs. Sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dragonman; 09-30-2016 at 01:49 PM. Reason: add a pic
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
Yknjack
Yknjack

Drives: 2014 Yellow RS Vert
I programed a new remote from just the key but the remote I bought was just one number off and the remote start does not work. You should check out a site provided by Camguynj:
Here's the link to the Strattec key site. Most up to date and searchable by yr & model. Once you find the key/fob for yr & model it then shows the specific On Board programming instructions.

http://aftermarket.strattec.com/key.php?q=Chevrolet
Yknjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You should have the dealer do it, so that the old key cannot start the car. You don't need to have the locks physically swapped, just new keys programmed. That will cancel out the old keys.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #10
TangoMike

Drives: 2012 2ls RS V6 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulerof52 View Post
If i understand this correctly, the Camaro keys were originally a switchblade style where the key was built into the fob. However due to a recall (people would hit their knee on the key/fob and turn off the engine while driving) dealers had to separate the key from the fob.

Strange. I guess I'm lucky because my dealership gave me a switchblade.

Anyway, in that case that means the OP is still getting ripped off. $50 for just the key when it's the same for the key/remote combo?
TangoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #11
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMike View Post
Strange. I guess I'm lucky because my dealership gave me a switchblade.

Anyway, in that case that means the OP is still getting ripped off. $50 for just the key when it's the same for the key/remote combo?
It does seem expensive. Before the recall I bought a switchblade from my dealer with the key cut for $85. I guess his dealer is using MSRP.

When I bought a new remote for my wife's Pontiac they charged $18 to program it.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote