Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Doogie

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Undercarriage bracing removal

I have a 2013 ZL1. I have installed the Corsa exhaust at a local shop. Although specifically asked "coupe or convertible ?" They claim the stock undercarriage bracing bars at the rear will not fit now. There is another pair that do fit.on the rear ones there is a 3 point connection that runs diagonally and has connection points at the edge of the frame behind the doors then connecting at the base of the rear shock and then close to the centre under the trunk. The last section of pipe sits too low to allow the connection of the last bolt. The shop has spoken to several sources and say that the rear braces are overkill and either not required or the last section can be snipped off and the 2 remaining at the front will suffice. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Don't do it.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
pannhead51

Drives: 2SS convertible
I'm guessing that especially with the torque and power of a ZL1 that these frame connectors are very important..even more so with a convertible.
pannhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
I have a 2013 ZL1. I have installed the Corsa exhaust at a local shop. Although specifically asked "coupe or convertible ?" They claim the stock undercarriage bracing bars at the rear will not fit now. There is another pair that do fit.on the rear ones there is a 3 point connection that runs diagonally and has connection points at the edge of the frame behind the doors then connecting at the base of the rear shock and then close to the centre under the trunk. The last section of pipe sits too low to allow the connection of the last bolt. The shop has spoken to several sources and say that the rear braces are overkill and either not required or the last section can be snipped off and the 2 remaining at the front will suffice. Any input on this would be appreciated.
Don't even think about compromising any of the factory braces.
GM put them there for a reason.
Especially on a ZL1.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I agree with the others, don't do it. I would trust the GM engineers over a local shop guy.

If you are going to modify something, modify the aftermarket exhaust instead of your body structure.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Oldag

Drives: 2013 2SS Convertible, LS3
Don't do it.

ESPECIALLY on a vert. But personally, I would not eliminate bracing even on a coupe.
Oldag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
I did it. However, I put something in place of it which allowed me to reuse the tunnel braces. If you don't have them in, you will feel the loss of rigidity in the car, so it will be important that you do put something in place. For myself, I went with the LG chassis brace. The only thing that has been taken out completely is the two diagonal in the rear that from the center of the car, up, and out to the side rails. Even with those gone and the chassis brace in, everything feels very tight and strong, and this is with all the power I have now.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
No way, no how. Are you kidding me? If the exhaust can't get around it, get rid of it and over it. You have many more choices. You want as much rigidity as you can get.
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
The chassis braces use the existing mounting points and add a few more. It also allows to drop the tunnel braces down enough to clear the 3" piping. The car feels just as strong as it did stock if not stronger because of the upgraded sway bars.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Yeah, don't do it... It really sounds like the shop didn't install your exhaust correctly.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
I am running the Corsa exhaust on my ss convertible with no problems. It clears all the braces. Don't no if the braces are the same on both cars.
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
Some of the aftermarket bracing is very effective, if not better than, the stock braces. Some specifically allow for 3" exhaust. But none of it should be removed without something else stiffening the chassis. Not sure where you're having the exhaust work done, but I would recommend taking it to a reputable suspension shop for their input before cutting any braces.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
I am running the Corsa exhaust on my ss convertible with no problems. It clears all the braces. Don't no if the braces are the same on both cars.
Me too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
ahesq

Drives: 2014 C7, 3LT, manual
Wondering why the ZL1 owner switched from the NPP GM dual mode to the corsa? I am having issues with my NPP GM mufflers (weird resonance at 3000 rpm and wire stuffing coming out of them). Let me know.

The Corsa set up for the ZL1 is 3 inch pipe. That's why they specifically state it will NOT fit the convertibles (because of the bracing). The Corsa set up for the SS is 2.5 inches, so it will fit the convertibles with no modifications. However, the SS corsa 2.5 inch version is not Quad tip, like the GM NPP dual mode.

Good news is that you can buy spacers for the rear cross braces (where they meet the trunk), and a new front brace to accomodate the 3 inch pipe. Check out Phastek Performance's website and then the bracing kit for the "Stainless works" 3 inch system.
ahesq is offline   Reply With Quote