The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes

Old 12-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
1stcorvette

Drives: None at present
Black Wheels?

Could some of you that ordered black wheels please tell me why you did so?

I realize it's just a personal preference, but it seems to be very popular. I personally don't get it. Maybe it's an age thing? I'm 66 and ordered chrome, but my 30 year old son thinks the blacked out wheels look "gangsta". I'm too old to be that trendy.

I know we all love this car for its performance capabilities so black wheels or chrome for that matter don't help, so it must just be for the "look". I haven't looked at a lot of performance cars, i.e., Porsche, Mercedes, Bugatti, etc. so can someone that owns them tell me if they got black wheels on them?

Maybe some of you guys, or girls, can chime in and shed some light on this issue as to why you got them and what age bracket you're in. That would be interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want to ruffle any feathers, I'm just saying to each his own, but they aren't gonna be on my C7. Either way I know we all are going to be enjoying them.
1stcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
bkindall
NCM Raffle Winner

Drives: '14 Cpe 3LT Z51 Crystal Red
I ordered the black rims because I think it completes the look.

I ordered a Crystal Red 3lt Z51 With black rims, carbon flash racing stripes, mirrors and spoiler. My thought was chrome rims would stand out like a sore thumb due to all of the black that would be on the Corvette. If there was more chrome on it other places other than the grill line and badges I probably would have chosen the chrome rims over black.
bkindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
If and when I order, I will be getting the black rims. I used to think black looked awful (and I still do think it looks awful on several types of rim), but there is something about this style rim that black looks good to me. I also think black makes it look more like a race car, and less like a show car. I've had chrome rims on several cars, and I'm kind of tired of it now - so gray, dark silver, black are starting to be my preference. I'm 37, so it probably is an age thing - I know my dad gripes about the black rims.
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Nate GM
Rand Paul 2016

Drives: Corvette Stingray Z51 2LT
I think it definitely does have a lot to do with age. I've noticed that younger generations tend to prefer black wheels and older generations tend to prefer chrome. I'm sure there is a reason for it being that way but I honestly have no idea why.

That being said, it obviously doesn't apply for everyone. I'm ordering black wheels for my C7 because I think it goes best with my color. But I have to admit that chrome looks awesome on the C7 as well.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Emmdmd

Drives: 2015 Z06
The black rims just makes the car. This car is loaded with black accents and it just looks right. I'm 46 years old, so it's definitely not an age thing.

I just placed my order yesterday for a Crystal red Z51 with Black rims and carbon splash mirrors/spoiler. Also added more black with the carbon fiber roof.

Never thought I'd like the black rims until I saw this car. 99 times out of 100 I would have ordered chrome.....
Emmdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
1stcorvette

Drives: None at present
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo40oz View Post
If and when I order, I will be getting the black rims. I used to think black looked awful (and I still do think it looks awful on several types of rim), but there is something about this style rim that black looks good to me. I also think black makes it look more like a race car, and less like a show car. I've had chrome rims on several cars, and I'm kind of tired of it now - so gray, dark silver, black are starting to be my preference. I'm 37, so it probably is an age thing - I know my dad gripes about the black rims.
Thanks, Solo for your input. And I can appreciate that you drive "wife mad".
I also agree that on some cars they actually look good! A perfect example is Nate's yellow C7.

So I think it basically comes down to an age thing mostly, but we'll see what others are saying.
1stcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: a bunch of fast toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stcorvette View Post
I also agree that on some cars they actually look good! A perfect example is Nate's yellow C7.

So I think it basically comes down to an age thing mostly, but we'll see what others are saying.
I also agree with you guys (and yes I'm in the early 40's age bracket); IMPO nothing wrong with black wheels. I have black wheels on my Race Red with black stripes Boss 302 and it suits the intension on the mark, As for the C7, if the buyer's goal is to further match/contrast the darker vents and even moreso if TTV option is also present then it certainly acheives it aesthetically. The beauty with the new C7 is it can perfectly pull it off across the spectrum... from lighter colored wheels (such as silver, chrome, and even white on a AW C7) or to dark gray and black as mentioned throughout this thread.
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Richardlord

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT Hemi AWD
I'm 66, I ordered Black Wheels, and to go with them, I also ordered a 3LT Torch Red/Adrenaline Red Z51 Vert with Red Calipers, Black Top, Carbon Black Hood Stinger, Carbon Black Spolier & Outside Mirrors, Black Splash Guards, Carbon Black Interior to go with all the outside Black Accents. The Black nicely offsets, balances, and compliments all the Red. Thought the Carbon Black Full Racing Stripes a bit much with all the other Black, and better on a Coupe than a Vert. This Torch Red Z51 Vert is not just nicely accented by all the Black, it is a KILLER KOMBO. I can't wait to tool around in my C7 and blow minds as well as blow doors off!

But then, I work in federal law enforecment, and I like Black things; like Black SUVs, Black SWAT uniforms, and most of all, Black Assault Rifles. Maybe my agency gets a Black C7, now would that not look cool, a Black C7 Cop Car, but it would need very special lights.

Last edited by Richardlord; 12-05-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Richardlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
C7BOB

Drives: 2012 C6 COUPE
I like black SPOKE or black CENTER wheels. Without a shiny rim to define the wheel, it looks like a steel wheel with missing hub caps. These are some of my cars with wheels that I painted myself. I can't understand paying for wheels that I can't see!

2005 LeMans Blue coupe, black int., A4, 1SB, NCM Delivery 4/25/2005
2003 gray/black coupe, A4, F55, 12CD, NCM Delivery 9/16/2002
2000 green/tan coupe, A4, NCM Delivery 5/16/2000
1996 CE silver/gray coupe, A4
1993 green/tan coupe, A4
C7BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
bowtie440

Drives: 2014 Stingray 1LT Coupe
Black wheels?

Just turned 62. Have an Arctic White 1LT on order that is due at the dealer around 12/16/13. I am with the other guys here, black wheels, especially on a white car, just "make it". I plan to change my C7 by either plasticote, or powder coat, of the stock wheels. Or I will upgrade the stock wheels if I can find an aftermarket wheel that is a dead ringer for the factory black Z51 wheels.
bowtie440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Matches the vents really well. Even more so if you opt for the black mirrors/spoiler.

And I'm just kinda done with chrome wheels. I liked them for a bit but now I just think they're too gaudy.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie440 View Post
Just turned 62. Have an Arctic White 1LT on order that is due at the dealer around 12/16/13. I am with the other guys here, black wheels, especially on a white car, just "make it". I plan to change my C7 by either plasticote, or powder coat, of the stock wheels. Or I will upgrade the stock wheels if I can find an aftermarket wheel that is a dead ringer for the factory black Z51 wheels.
PVD Chrome your oem wheels; choices include bright or black.

Just a suggestion.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Never have liked all black wheels, too much potential lost to have an area of a car pop. They just become black holes on the car. I do however, love back wheels with machined faces as I have done on my last 3 cars. They stay clean and really add to the cars look, like fine jewelry on a elegant lady.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
Because us younger people are just to lazy to clean chrome. Ah I love my black wheels.