Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
summitwhitess

Drives: 2012 summit white LS
Claybar what did I do wrong plz help ?

I washed my car today and while it was still wet I used a turtle wax clay bar with spray lub they supplied. I followed the instructions and made sure the area was well sprayed . I was actually happy on how it work taking off all the contaminates from the paint. After I did the whole car I hose it down with water and dried it. That's when I notice a lot of fine and a bit heavy scratches on my paint that was not there before . Why did this happened , and how would I be able to fix it without going to a bodyshop plz help.
summitwhitess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Berje

Drives: 1994 z28, 2010 ss, 2010 titan
Probably because the clay bar removed everything that was concealing them.

Just search the forum for how to fix. I believe his username is camarodream or something but he has a really good thread ab how to do this.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #3
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Sounds like you marred the finish with the clay bar. A little bit of marring is expected when you clay, especially for the first time. That's why it's always recommended to polish after claying. However, it shouldn't be bad and heavy scratches caused by claying means your clay bar got too dirty and you grinded grit into your paint. Did you knead the clay often to a fresh side?
To fix it, read up on doing it yourself or find a reputable detailer in your area (not a body shop!).
Old 08-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
berje is right. Either you had a glaze that filled in the scratches and swirls and the clay removed it or since you clayed you are now paying more attention to your paint and are now noticing them. The easiest way to fix them is machine polishing them using a polisher such as the Porter cable 7424XP or Griot's Garage 6 inch.

Here's a great thread to read up on about it

There is quite a bit to it but it's very informative.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Claying is not for amateurs, as mentioned, you damaged (scratched) your paint with contaminants embedded into the clay. Seek professional help.....your welcome!

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2019 Black 2SS
LOL! Have another vodka smirnoff.

Not sure how anyone can come to any type of conclusion with the vague amount of info given. summitwhitess, there are lots of videos on Adam's Polishes' YouTube channel, and they also have a discussion forum on their website: http://www.adamsforums.com/

rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
The best thing we can do is get a picture of what damage is actually done, I'm almost certain it's nothing too serious. But a picture will let us know if it's marring, regular swirls, etc...Unless you had boulders on your paint I've never heard of someone putting scratches in their paint by claying, marring yes probably due to not enough lubricity.

OP, how did the clay feel going over the paint, was it grabbing quite a bit or gliding over and how much pressure did you use, you really just want to maintain contact with the paint when claying.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Watch this video by The Junkman on claying. He's great. Like others have said, you have to fold the clay over on itself and make sure you are using a clean surface on the clay, otherwise you now have sandpaper.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
summitwhitess

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack View Post
Sounds like you marred the finish with the clay bar. A little bit of marring is expected when you clay, especially for the first time. That's why it's always recommended to polish after claying. However, it shouldn't be bad and heavy scratches caused by claying means your clay bar got too dirty and you grinded grit into your paint. Did you knead the clay often to a fresh side?
To fix it, read up on doing it yourself or find a reputable detailer in your area (not a body shop!).
No I did not knead the clay into a fresh side . And I just put my car in the sun and its not to bad maby I was just freaking out yesterday lol although the scratches are there it's hard to notice them .
Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitwhitess View Post
No I did not knead the clay into a fresh side . And I just put my car in the sun and its not to bad maby I was just freaking out yesterday lol although the scratches are there it's hard to notice them .
Sounds like it's time for some polishing.

I washed/clayed mine on Tuesday (took 3 hours). Rewashed and then compound polished with orbital buffer yesterday (another 2 hours) and am going to wax/buff this evening (another 2 - 3 hours).

Takes forever to do it right.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Claying is not for amateurs, as mentioned, you damaged (scratched) your paint with contaminants embedded into the clay. Seek professional help.....your welcome!
Claying is not for amateurs? Really? My little brothers can do it. And they're 12. All you do is keep the area wet and slide the bar across the area. How hard is that? Every panel or so you knead the clay to get a clean side and keep going

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Claying is not for amateurs? Really? My little brothers can do it. And they're 12. All you do is keep the area wet and slide the bar across the area. How hard is that? Every panel or so you knead the clay to get a clean side and keep going
Agreed ^^^
I believe Smirnoff has had a little too many smirnoff's.

I have my 5 year old niece help me time to time.. it is that easy.

Usually when you Clay a car you're planning to buff (polish) the car as some scratches can happen or be revealed from claying. Worry not OP as you can easily do a little light buffing and all should be good or at least less noticeable
Old 08-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
summitwhitess

Thanks Everyone on the fast replys gonna buff it today .
Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Mechman108

Drives: '12 Camaro LS M6, '16 Lexus IS200T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
Watch this video by The Junkman on claying. He's great. Like others have said, you have to fold the clay over on itself and make sure you are using a clean surface on the clay, otherwise you now have sandpaper.

Thanks for that link. He is funny.
Mechman108 is offline   Reply With Quote