The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #57
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Computers and technology will only increase as time progresses. Computer programmers/techs start out making decent money. And as others have said, find something that you want to do that makes you happy. Nothing will be handed to you; YOU have to work for it! If something makes you happy, working becomes less like work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeast View Post
I'm trying to get into pharmacy school, however because not knowing what I wanted to do for awhile and not maintaining a high GPA because of that is making the acceptance process a difficult task. So my advice to you is while searching for what you want to do do your best at what you are doing in the mean time, or it might come back to bite you.
Great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevn86 View Post
You and me both!
I'm not sure if pharm school's acceptance is the same as med school's, but there are multiple factors, in addition to grades, such as experience, the entrance exam (PCAT), community service, etc. They may also look at the trend in grades through college, so putting more emphasis on your grades now should look good on your record. I was also told that actually finishing school and obtaining a degree shows that you follow through and finish what you start, a plus in the acceptance committee's eyes. Good luck to you two!!!
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #58
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
2 steps my son: Military and then college (or both at the same time if you can manage). This way, you won't have student loans to pay back AND you get the added bonus of getting to add 'military experience' on your resume. Trust me, both jobs I've applied for since getting out of the Marines, I only had to sit through one interview and they were convinced I was the best candidate both times.

Another lil tidbit: quite a few of the Fortune 500 companies were founded or are run by 'former' Marines (former in quotes because technically, once a Marine, always a Marine)
Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #59
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Top Paying Jobs
Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #60
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Like any career, keep your eye on the ball and stay the course and build on it. If you don't, you're not going to go where you want to go. As mentioned, if you find something you love, and can figure out how to get paid for it, you will live a HAPPIER life. More money doesn't make the job better. It is intended to make you less likely to hunt elsewhere and take your talents with you. And get ready for the curveballs in life.

MANY times, people that don't have early focus might finish college, but end up doing something outside their major. I did it a bit backwards. I never finished college until AFTER I got out into the real world, did a military stint, got a decent job, and then got a business degree. Took me 7 years to finish doing it part time, but I did it. It helped me get the promotion I got earlier this year, I'm sure of it. But I also demonstrated my experience and reliability, which is what really interested the top brass in the first place. The business degree was icing on the cake. Promotions are good, but it simply brings a different set of issues/problems you have to deal with.

This thread sheds light on the entitlement mentality that younger folks seem to have nowadays. It's good to have lofty goals, but you're not Superman and cannot leap all those steps to success in between. Set challenging, yet attainable short-term goals, and you'll eventually get where you want to be.

Lesson: Things are harder than they look. Owning a business may look like fun, but I know a few folks, especially in their early years, that practically lived at their business, never took vacations, etc. Sure, they're making some coin now, but every one had to go through the school of hard knocks. Nothing was free. You have to have a passion for it.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #61
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I find it interesting that pharmacist isn't listed anywhere in the high paying jobs lists. When I actually read through some of the "top 10" articles, I noticed that I make as much or more than 5 of 10 in every list. That said, notice how many medical and technical jobs are on thoses lists??? OP, look that direction...
Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #62
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Economics > wall street > $$$$$$$$
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #63
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
I find it interesting that pharmacist isn't listed anywhere in the high paying jobs lists. When I actually read through some of the "top 10" articles, I noticed that I make as much or more than 5 of 10 in every list. That said, notice how many medical and technical jobs are on thoses lists??? OP, look that direction...
I wonder how many other careers are left off of the list. I was also surprised at how much pediatricians make. I guess I never looked into what the actual average salary is...
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #64
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
You want to make good money, have a good job, and do very little to earn it. Go to pharmacy school. They start at around $90k a year and I've seen plenty that work part time and still pull in a decent wage. Getting the degree will require hard work but it will be worth it in the end, and you will have a job that helps people and can't be outsourced to somewhere else.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #65
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
You want to make good money, have a good job, and do very little to earn it. Go to pharmacy school. They start at around $90k a year and I've seen plenty that work part time and still pull in a decent wage. Getting the degree will require hard work but it will be worth it in the end, and you will have a job that helps people and can't be outsourced to somewhere else.
I don't know about the "do very little to earn it" part.
Then again, I'm a pharmacy manager, so I do a lot more than the average 'come in, put in your 8 hrs, go home' kind of pharmacist.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #66
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
CNN Money website, today under the personal finance:

Best Paying Major:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/08/pf/c...jors/index.htm

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #67
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
First, you need to figure out your education first. Concentrate on your first one or two years at community college so you can transfer to a four year university.

Once there, just keep your mind open and figure out what you want to do in life. Don't worry about how much you want to make.

I'm 19 and a freshman in college, so I definitely understand where you are coming from. Money is nice, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather be at a job that I love coming to every morning. For example, think about two classes you take: one you hate and one you love. Which one would you rather take for the rest of your life?

For me, my major happens to be in a well-paying field (Systems Engineering with a minor in Computer Science), but that is NOT why I chose it. I chose it because I love engineering. I love applying science to solve problems.

For me, all I need in life is a nice Camaro, a decent house in a city I like, and life will sort out the rest.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #68
RollTideMom

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro RS
you could be a chippendale??? lol.. just kidding... You need to find a job that you will enjoy. You could make a lot of money and hate waking up everyday to go to. Think about what you enjoy and go do it!!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #69
rykeith

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT M6
I can't speak for the other jobs, but if you're looking at medicine for the main reason of money, there are many (easier) ways to make cash. You will hate every day you work if you went to college for 4 years, then medical school for 4 years, then grueling residency/fellowship for 3-10 years just to make more money. It's not worth it.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #70
Urthman
Future Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4dr
Rather than look for something that pays a crazy amount of money, you should look for a career that has a lot of job opportunities. For example, the IT industry is thriving and will continue to do so for a long, long time. There are always job openings in that area of expertise; therefore, you won't be without a job for an extended period of time. Thus, you will be able to continually save money.

There are a number of careers that have seemingly unending job availabilty. If you're into entertainment go with animation. Game companies, film studios, production companies, and even Fortune 500 corporations need animators.

If you can sell well, go with pharmaceuticals.

Do you see where I'm going? If you choose a career path that has limited opportunities you will put yourself in a corner. Trust me, I did it.

I'm not saying "don't do what you love". You should ABSOLUTELY find what's right for you. Just try to find a way to incorporate what you love into a position that you feel will be consistent in employment.
Urthman is offline   Reply With Quote