Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-24-2024, 06:26 AM   #15
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Two wrongs don’t make a right…

Agreed on the phone point, totally valid. But a different discussion. Since this is a Camaro forum, it’s valid to address the Camaro aspect of “privacy”… or lack thereof lol…
I just chuckle every time one of these breads starts on the ominous OnStar but none mentions they carry a device with them in that car with OnStar that does much more.

Also does everyone know that your car is recording at a minimum the last 6 seconds of what your car is doing regardless of OnStar? At a minimum your car has a rolling 6 second memory of throttle position, brakes, steering angle etc. this is government mandated. But no one gets to see it unless you are in an accident requiring investigation.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:27 AM   #16
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogueleader_92 View Post
How are you an onstar subscriber without giving them a CC?
Old school baby. We write a check. Same with XM.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:15 AM   #17
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Every new car I purchased including high pressure OnStar sales. On my 2024 I had to keep repeating I don't want anything, no trials no nothing and after about 30 minutes with the salesman and OnStar rep we were final done. I have the trial script but that's all, no CC number no anything. Data recorders have been on cars for several decades now and they do track all your cars data points in case of accidents. They won't admit to it but they also track your fast starts, excessive speed, and hard brakes. I am surprised that insurance companies have yet to mandatory OBD port monitoring for you to have insurance. They call it good drivers discount but they are keeping a close eye on you and if you get out of line you'll find yourself un-insurable and on high risk insurance. They are already cancelling high risk home policies and drivers are next.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:00 PM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I just chuckle every time one of these breads starts on the ominous OnStar but none mentions they carry a device with them in that car with OnStar that does much more.

Also does everyone know that your car is recording at a minimum the last 6 seconds of what your car is doing regardless of OnStar? At a minimum your car has a rolling 6 second memory of throttle position, brakes, steering angle etc. this is government mandated. But no one gets to see it unless you are in an accident requiring investigation.

i think this story literally contradicts the idea that onstar doesn't sell your data to anyone paying.

as for the phone, you can turn that off whenever you want. onstar doesn't have a switch. you have to disable a circuit that includes other functionality or take it apart physically so the radio it uses is removed. if it had an on/off switch, i don't think anyone would have much of a problem with it.

also, your phone isn't a back door to a 2b thousand pound vehicle you put your life and those around you in.

a phone you opt into allowing certain losses of security/privacy to make use of features is not the same as attaching stuff to something that doesn't need it or that you aren't using without giving you the choice.

if onstar is a benefit for the owner, then there should be no problem in giving the owner an on/off switch. they don't. because it's not. it doesn't matter if all other devices are worse. that's no reason to accept yet another thing that you pay for but doesn't serve you.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 09:25 PM   #19
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
i think this story literally contradicts the idea that onstar doesn't sell your data to anyone paying.

as for the phone, you can turn that off whenever you want. onstar doesn't have a switch. you have to disable a circuit that includes other functionality or take it apart physically so the radio it uses is removed. if it had an on/off switch, i don't think anyone would have much of a problem with it.

also, your phone isn't a back door to a 2b thousand pound vehicle you put your life and those around you in.

a phone you opt into allowing certain losses of security/privacy to make use of features is not the same as attaching stuff to something that doesn't need it or that you aren't using without giving you the choice.

if onstar is a benefit for the owner, then there should be no problem in giving the owner an on/off switch. they don't. because it's not. it doesn't matter if all other devices are worse. that's no reason to accept yet another thing that you pay for but doesn't serve you.
Well said!

And thanks for your thread on how to find and remove the Onstar hardware, very helpful!
Old 02-25-2024, 03:31 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

Kind of combing several issues here. One, who ever gets in there car and turns their phone OFF or anywhere for that matter. The newest iPhone also detects a crash and calls for help. Do you turn that off too?

As for OnStar being hacked to control your car? That was demonstrated quite a few years ago. Not sure it’s as easy as that demonstration today.

And I hope everyone knows that most OEMs have a certain level of connectivity. Here, everyone acts like it’s somehow GM and OnStar. It’s pretty much every new car. We have the ability now to evaluate data and predict maintenance and potential failures. Turning that off?
Old 02-25-2024, 06:02 PM   #21
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Kind of combing several issues here. One, who ever gets in there car and turns their phone OFF or anywhere for that matter. The newest iPhone also detects a crash and calls for help. Do you turn that off too?

As for OnStar being hacked to control your car? That was demonstrated quite a few years ago. Not sure it’s as easy as that demonstration today.

And I hope everyone knows that most OEMs have a certain level of connectivity. Here, everyone acts like it’s somehow GM and OnStar. It’s pretty much every new car. We have the ability now to evaluate data and predict maintenance and potential failures. Turning that off?
Since evaluating data is how Ford ended up with the Edsel, Pontiac came up with the Aztec, and Ford calculated it would cost less to pay out families of deceased victims rather than make a 10 cent adjustment to Pinto fuel tanks, I vomit at the use of “data”. Too many bean counting pinheads running large corporations and too few engineers just making solid, reliable, well built and long lasting products.

Kill the accountants and bean counters and then we’ll talk.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 11:55 AM   #22
Mark R

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
This solves the troublesome On-Star problem. Like getting a splinter out.
Attached Images

Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote