Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-27-2024, 06:47 PM   #1
DavoinShowerHandel

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Gear Install

Hey all, I'm looking to have some gears installed and having a LOT of trouble finding a shop willing to do the work. Does anyone know of anybody in Ohio who would do the work and does a solid job? I was going to have a TrueTrac installed at the same time and some JRE main caps, but I tried several shops and can't get anyone interested in parting me with my money. Appreciate any help!
Mods: Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, CAI Intake w/ APEX Race Scoop, Bo White Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley, Borla ATAK Catback, Full DSE suspension, Bilstein B6 shocks/struts, Yukon 4.11 gears, 1.25" drop

Dyno Tuned by Brian Turner of Dyno Tune Motorsports
DavoinShowerHandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 06:48 AM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
If you want to send the entire rear end to us at GPI we'll be happy to set it up for you. Getting local folks is tricky, because it's a rear-end they are not familiar with, and these modern aluminum cased rear ends can be a bit finicky to do. I had a similar struggle out here in the Syracuse NY area, I went through a half dozen places before I found someone willing to take it on, and even they did so with reservation.

If it's something you want us to take on, feel free to give me a shout and we'll talk details. Andrew@gwatneyperformance.com
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 07:39 AM   #3
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
I think that's one of the reasons why diffs are so hot on the market. Everyone would rather just buy the whole thing and plunk it in.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:37 AM   #4
DavoinShowerHandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
If you want to send the entire rear end to us at GPI we'll be happy to set it up for you. Getting local folks is tricky, because it's a rear-end they are not familiar with, and these modern aluminum cased rear ends can be a bit finicky to do. I had a similar struggle out here in the Syracuse NY area, I went through a half dozen places before I found someone willing to take it on, and even they did so with reservation.

If it's something you want us to take on, feel free to give me a shout and we'll talk details. Andrew@gwatneyperformance.com
Believe it or not this has been a really strong consideration for me, I'm just concerned about the additional shipping costs and having to make sure it's properly packaged, etc. It's seeming like that may be about my only option, though.
Mods: Kooks 1 7/8" LT Headers, CAI Intake w/ APEX Race Scoop, Bo White Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley, Borla ATAK Catback, Full DSE suspension, Bilstein B6 shocks/struts, Yukon 4.11 gears, 1.25" drop

Old 02-28-2024, 08:41 AM   #5
DavoinShowerHandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnmn View Post
I think that's one of the reasons why diffs are so hot on the market. Everyone would rather just buy the whole thing and plunk it in.
Definitely. I'm seeing now that may have been the way to go. My initial plan was to get the tools and learn to do it myself, I don't know everything but I'm really good with a wrench and confident I could learn. Spare time just became in short supply with our kid coming a little early, so I figured I best farm this one out lol.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:08 PM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoinShowerHandel View Post
Believe it or not this has been a really strong consideration for me, I'm just concerned about the additional shipping costs and having to make sure it's properly packaged, etc. It's seeming like that may be about my only option, though.
That's a really understandable drawback - shipping costs are outrageous these days - probably will cost you half what the work itself will. Inflation will slowly kill us all!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:14 PM   #7
DavoinShowerHandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
That's a really understandable drawback - shipping costs are outrageous these days - probably will cost you half what the work itself will. Inflation will slowly kill us all!
No doubt. Everything is going up except my paycheck. Oh well, what can you do? I sent you guys an email for a quote and I'm gonna look into the shipping to see what I might be looking at all-in. My initial thought was actually to reach out to you guys, because I know it'd all be done right. So we'll see what it looks like.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:17 PM   #8
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
I used Fastenal for freight before and it was not that bad. I seem to recall $150ish for a 500# pallet from Florida to the Carolinas pre-Covid.

Factory diffs were the way to go because you could be fairly confident they were in good shape and quiet, but now they are all higher mileage and you are seeing more modified rearends for sale of unknown quality. ZL1 3.73s are way more expensive than just a few years ago (once upon time you could get one for $1500) and factory 3.91s are 1k plus. If you have it built, you can put in a Torsen carrier and 4.30 gears which would be great on an M6 car.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 02:22 PM   #9
DavoinShowerHandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
I used Fastenal for freight before and it was not that bad. I seem to recall $150ish for a 500# pallet from Florida to the Carolinas pre-Covid.

Factory diffs were the way to go because you could be fairly confident they were in good shape and quiet, but now they are all higher mileage and you are seeing more modified rearends for sale of unknown quality. ZL1 3.73s are way more expensive than just a few years ago (once upon time you could get one for $1500) and factory 3.91s are 1k plus. If you have it built, you can put in a Torsen carrier and 4.30 gears which would be great on an M6 car.
Well, I've got a set of 4.11s and a TrueTrac to throw in already, just having a heck of a time convincing anyone they want my money to do it. Plans just changed on me being able to get around to it myself, so now I'm scrambling to find it. I emailed Gwatney for a work up on a quote after they responded above. I'm hoping I like what that looks like with return shipping. They'd be my preference anyways, just depends on how much extra shipping adds to the mix for me.

Old 02-28-2024, 02:33 PM   #10
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Pretty sure the TrueTrac is a Torsen style carrier.

I had a local guy do my 8.6 and it leaked. I tried to fix it and then it made noise, so using a shop you are confident in is a big plus. I ended up selling that diff cheap and getting a ZL1.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote