Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Import or not?
Import 6 8.82%
Not an import 62 91.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #29
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I didn't want to come across as rash, and I assumed this was the intention. It just bothers me when other people complain about the Camaro being made in Canada and not being "American" (And I am in no way implying that you were doing this, i'm just sayin).

As for your other comment about the need for GM to give us something to nibble on... I am in COMPLETE AGREEMENT! We really need something! Just hoping that there is some info that comes out of the SEMA show.
Did you mean harsh, because there are ointments and/or shots you can get for your rash.

Don't worry you did not come across harsh. I'm with ya on the SEMA show, please please please give us something! I’m going into withdrawal.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #30
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'll see if I can come up with anything on any new announcements. And...I agree that this is just some good ole discussion. In the end, it won't matter if it's an import or not...BECAUSE WE ALL WILL BE DRIVING IT!!!

and it's not an import.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #31
Mestizo

Drives: American V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
So, Toyota is an import, right? But they have a plant here in SA, TX. So...does that make the Tundras rolling off the line right now domestics? Hey, they're built in the good old US. It's just a thought, but very true. I'd consider the Tundra an import (even though it's made here) and the Camaro a domestic (even though it's made in Canada). That's just weird...
Agreed, in the end the money goes back to the motherland....hehe

BTW, Toyota is the enemy.
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #32
VaporS197

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT
American (?) Camaro

Nothing against our Aussie friends (or Canadian cousins), but I'm just curious if the new Camaro is going to be American or not. It was nice to see the GTO revived, but it was, as you all know, not a GTO. A Holden Monaro is a beautiful car, but it is not a GTO.

I know that GM is a huge global company, full of brilliant individuals from all over the world, but is the car going to be American? I.e. not ripped off from an existing platform? I know it's new, but I mean how new??

Sorry I don't know much about Chevy, but I'm talking drivetrain, transmission, etc. I know that the car's styling is original (and probably the sweetest looking American car I have ever seen...).

I don't mean to come off as nationalistic here, or ignorant, but I'm curious as to what's happening and where regarding R&D.
VaporS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This is gonna be fun to watch................

(I'm saving my answer for later.)
Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #34
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
R&D is all over the world. Now with that said much is here in the states and with the Holden group. Don't forget GM is an American Company.
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #35
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
you make an interesting point. It should be noted that Ford does the same thing. (as ford is parent of mazda)

Ford Fusion = Mazda 6, with softer shocks.
Ford espape = mazda tribute

If the engineering/design for something has been proven, I think it should be okay to keep using it. These days I think it is hard to find something that genuinely works, as far as fun + function. Mazda cars typically drive like sports cars. This ended up making the Fusion a hit when people drove it.

Camaro is an American car as far as I'm concerned, even if the platform came from GM Aussie plant they have been the parent of since 1931.

Also GM is a business. It is a cost-effective decision to share engineering design work.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #36
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
This is gonna be fun to watch................

(I'm saving my answer for later.)
I am with you! This will be interesting!
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #37
VaporS197

Well I agree, to an extent. The sticker on my car said it's made up of 30% Canadian parts, and the S197 was designed by a Canadian. But that's not my point. What I saw with Chrysler (whatever their name may be today...cause they're Canadian-owned now) was that basically it was a German company for the past few years - and all of a sudden their stuff became really cool and reliable.

Now, is Chrysler still an American company? I don't think so.

Ford using Japanese transmissions (which they helped Mazda fund)? Sure, I say Ford is still very much an American company.

Now this thread could go in many interesting directions concerning the new world order, but that's not what I want to talk about on a pony car site. I'm just really interested in why the Camaro is making a comeback, and what's its place will be in American car history.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:09 AM   #38
VaporS197

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3whiterag View Post
I am with you! This will be interesting!
If it's so interesting to you guys, why don't you tell us what you think?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #39
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporS197 View Post
I'm just really interested in why the Camaro is making a comeback, and what's its place will be in American car history.
Many cars will have global architecture. I can see where you going with this. If GM ends up with lots of cars/makes/models using the new platform, then it doesn't look as unique (as if the chassis was only intended just for the camaro).

In the past, a GTO/Chevelle/Skylark/442 all had the same chassis. (1960s)

No one seemed to care about that then or now. The camaro did seem to have it's own chassis, but it was also shared with a Firebird.

And since no one cared Camaro/Firebird shared, I would assume no one is going to care now.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #40
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Because. We've had this converstion before, when the site was smaller. It usually blows up into an argument. (I hope that doesn't happen this time.)

Anyways I believe we have a convinving enough answer that it may squelch some others. However there are a lot of new members; I want to hear what they say, first.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #41
JohnS

Drives: '99 Camaro SS, '06 Chrgr SRT-8
I've always felt that a vehicle's brand nationality should be where the vehicle's corporate headquarters is located. e.g. even though BMW's & Nissans are built in the States, they are still German and Japanese respectively, in my humble opinion. GM's headquarters is in the USA, so I feel, even though the Camaro will be built in Canada, it's an American car.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #42
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Follow the money

It is where the money/profits go... if they go to Japan, then it's Japaneese, if they go the the USA then it's American....
That being said, it is hard to distinguish from and American car or World car. Most all models sold here are either imported from another country or assembled in the USA with parts from all over the world.. so this is a discussion with no real answer...