Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 10-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
convertible roll over saftey

Hi, does any one have any saftey information on rear passengers in a roll over ?
Old 10-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
No different than any other convertible with no roll over protection. But these cars are hard to roll over. Not saying it couldn't happen, it's just not very likely.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
phk36

I have two young boys and on our test drive when we pulled back in to the dealer the younger one would say go again go again which we did at least three times. I am thinking about selling and going to a sun roof , only have 3,800 miles on it in two years. I have to say it is a great car
Old 10-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
I have two young boys and on our test drive when we pulled back in to the dealer the younger one would say go again go again which we did at least three times. I am thinking about selling and going to a sun roof , only have 3,800 miles on it in two years. I have to say it is a great car
Don't, it's just not the same. I have been driving since 1969, and never rolled any car over, even owned several Corvairs and jeeps and never have come close to rolling over.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
phk36

Wow corvair now that is a car that did not handle well at all , I guess if you put it that way , I wonder when the sports bar was made they did not make it to funtion as it does not look that far away from really working
Old 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
Wow corvair now that is a car that did not handle well at all , I guess if you put it that way , I wonder when the sports bar was made they did not make it to funtion as it does not look that far away from really working
Actually the 65-69 Corvairs handled very well. Other than the transverse leaf spring the corvette and Corvair had very similar fully independent rear suspension. The 60-64 Corvairs had a swing arm type rear suspension with only one U Joint on each axel it was very ill handling.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
phk36. dont sell the car. you have a really nice car there. it aint gonna roll over unless you are driving like a manic on a steep banked curve or something. i have a 9 yrs old son, who rides in back. we feel safe in this car cause its a tank!
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
JRsRS12

Drives: 2012 White 1LT RS Convertible
I know first hand that roll overs can occur if you leave the roadway and the wheels hit a uneven surface such as a ditch with a steep incline. In my accident, I was a new driver, it was winter time with snow and ice on the road. I lost control and went down into a ditch and the momentum just spun me before I knew what was happening. I was wearing my seatbelt - the car had a sunroof that was closed at the time. I was not hurt but it's something I don't want to do again. That being said, it didn't keep me from driving convertibles. Keep all four tires on the road and you should be fine! That's a awesome 45th you drive, I would not part with it if it was mine.
JRsRS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
phk36

Thank you all. I never dive fast with the kids and as my wife would say I drive like an old man. I can say they are great cars to drive , puts a smile on your face every time you get in it , Pete
Old 10-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #10
basecar

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red RS
Enjoy your ride, drive safely, you'll be fine. I might add if you live in Florida, like I do, you'll have to drive extra defensively as these folks drive like theirs no tomorrow. They are not going anywhere they just have to be ahead of you........I think by far they are the worst drivers I have ever seen, no courtesy, most cars don't come with signal lights, after passing you they feel they are required to pull immediately in front of you to make you hit the brakes, they drive just as fast and bad in parking lots as on the open road, much of this is while they are texing or on the phone and if you hit the horn, they give you the dirty look or the bird.............................................. ..........
basecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecar View Post
Enjoy your ride, drive safely, you'll be fine. I might add if you live in Florida, like I do, you'll have to drive extra defensively as these folks drive like theirs no tomorrow. They are not going anywhere they just have to be ahead of you........I think by far they are the worst drivers I have ever seen, no courtesy, most cars don't come with signal lights, after passing you they feel they are required to pull immediately in front of you to make you hit the brakes, they drive just as fast and bad in parking lots as on the open road, much of this is while they are texing or on the phone and if you hit the horn, they give you the dirty look or the bird.............................................. ..........
It's like that everywhere....
I saw an idiot yesterday just stop in the middle of the road and then do a U turn....on a 2 lane road!!! What's the matter with people today?????
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Tom_T

Drives: 2013 Convertible /2SS/RS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
It's like that everywhere....
I saw an idiot yesterday just stop in the middle of the road and then do a U turn....on a 2 lane road!!! What's the matter with people today?????
I'm with you......had a guy in front of me in the left turn lane at a light do a u turn!
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
tonite i have cruise on at 65, my 9 yr old son and i back from eating out, on interstate, and a Ford f150 parks on my bumper practically. what a moron. then they pass and cut right in front of you. i was on the right side of a 3 lane hwy, so not sure what problem i was. i tried the HUD for first time since i just got car 2 weeks ago. i like the blue lites in doors, and actually my son likes sitting in back seat as he sits over towards middle and can see the front, and not directly behind front seat headrest. i do notice more road noise in the vert over the coupe, but she drives realy nice. 194 miles on her now.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #14
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
I am thinking of installing the CDC sports bar and welding it in instead of just bolting it in.

I know it's not a certified roll bar, but I'm thinking it couldn't hurt.

Any opinions?