Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #29
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
Paaaaaaarrrrttyyyy

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #30
TigerCamaro

Drives: 2SS, Mosaic Black, Ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63falcondude View Post
Paaaaaaarrrrttyyyy
If the camaro a rockin, don't comma knocking!!!!!.......Hey wait.....No back seat..... seats don't recline....... I'm glad I didn't have this car when I was young!!!!!
3000 1/28/16 3300 1/29/16 TPW 2/15/16
3400 2/4/16 3800 2/15-16 BUILT!!!
4300 2/17 4200 2/23 4800 2/26 6000 3/5/16!!!

2015 Silverado LTZ
2011 Escalade
2006 Honda Accord
1988 IROC Z Camaro (sort of dead)
TigerCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #31
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63falcondude View Post
Paaaaaaarrrrttyyyy
I didn't plan on making that GIF, but the phone snapped off two pics as I was repositioning... the effect was cool enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerCamaro View Post
If the camaro a rockin, don't comma knocking!!!!!.......Hey wait.....No back seat..... seats don't recline....... I'm glad I didn't have this car when I was young!!!!!
Hahaha! Yeah, the Camaro is tight back there... but I'm sure I would have found a way back then
Old 03-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #32
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
OK, so the crap solid state switch used to control the rear reverse lights leaks current as everyone is aware. I toyed with the idea of adding a mechanical relay - which relies on current load to activate an electromagnet to trigger the switch which i have a pretty good idea would work since the current is what is really limited when the solid state switch is in it's "open" state. I saw 11.6v but very little current - still enough to drive led's though.

But the laziness got the better of me and I went ahead and got a set of 4 25watt load resistors and some artic silver thermal adhesive.

I figure 25 watt is enough for the rear because 1 halogen rear bulb was enough to bring the current down low enough to not drive my LED light in the other socket.

I'll use 2 of the remaining 3 load resistors on the turn signals up front ...which i was unable to trigger any calibration mode using the various methods I could find for various cars. None worked, still hyper flashed. Guess the only way to work with late model GM vehicles is reprogramming the bcm to not check ...which again. . laziness.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #33
BowtieV8
Longtime Chevy Girl

Drives: Not a VVette…yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
OK, so the crap solid state switch used to control the rear reverse lights leaks current as everyone is aware. I toyed with the idea of adding a mechanical relay - which relies on current load to activate an electromagnet to trigger the switch which i have a pretty good idea would work since the current is what is really limited when the solid state switch is in it's "open" state. I saw 11.6v but very little current - still enough to drive led's though.

But the laziness got the better of me and I went ahead and got a set of 4 25watt load resistors and some artic silver thermal adhesive.

I figure 25 watt is enough for the rear because 1 halogen rear bulb was enough to bring the current down low enough to not drive my LED light in the other socket.

I'll use 2 of the remaining 3 load resistors on the turn signals up front ...which i was unable to trigger any calibration mode using the various methods I could find for various cars. None worked, still hyper flashed. Guess the only way to work with late model GM vehicles is reprogramming the bcm to not check ...which again. . laziness.
...I understood some of these words. But not enough.

It was previously mentioned that the ATS and CTS use LED reverse lights. Anyone know where I can get the internal LED assembly for those cars? Or is the Gen5diy one the same? I want to order the right assembly now, and then give it to the dealership when I go to purchase the car. I'll have them do the LED upgrade for me.

As for the OP, now that you've been running this setup for a bit, have you had any issues or concerns pop up??
BowtieV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #34
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieV8 View Post
...I understood some of these words. But not enough.

It was previously mentioned that the ATS and CTS use LED reverse lights. Anyone know where I can get the internal LED assembly for those cars? Or is the Gen5diy one the same? I want to order the right assembly now, and then give it to the dealership when I go to purchase the car. I'll have them do the LED upgrade for me.

As for the OP, now that you've been running this setup for a bit, have you had any issues or concerns pop up??
It's not the lights on those cars that eliminate the "glow" issue, it's the better reverse light switch that is different. Cars with factory LED reverse lights dont use the cheap switch like how we have that leaks current. We have a solid state switch and they have either a mechanical one or a solid state one with better electronics to eliminate the current leakage.

So short of replacing that, the best option is a resistor to bleed the leaked current. the 5ohm 50 watters are a bit overkill. You can make do with 8-10ohm 25watt, this will minimize waste while still accomplishing the same goal.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #35
BowtieV8
Longtime Chevy Girl

Quote:
It's not the lights on those cars that eliminate the "glow" issue, it's the better reverse light switch that is different. Cars with factory LED reverse lights dont use the cheap switch like how we have that leaks current. We have a solid state switch and they have either a mechanical one or a solid state one with better electronics to eliminate the current leakage.

So short of replacing that, the best option is a resistor to bleed the leaked current. the 5ohm 50 watters are a bit overkill. You can make do with 8-10ohm 25watt, this will minimize waste while still accomplishing the same goal.
Ahh. See, now THAT I understand better. Thanks!

I also saw that you posted an alternative method to getting LED reverse lights. How are those workin out for ya? If it's cheaper and simpler, I'll go with that method.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:59 PM   #36
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
Quote:
Ahh. See, now THAT I understand better. Thanks!

I also saw that you posted an alternative method to getting LED reverse lights. How are those workin out for ya? If it's cheaper and simpler, I'll go with that method.

Alternative?
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #37
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
Alternative?
Maybe not so much alternative as just different products with less of a pricetag.

Mostly the same process.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #38
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
Quote:
Maybe not so much alternative as just different products with less of a pricetag.

Mostly the same process.

Where did you post that info? I must of missed it
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #39
BowtieV8
Longtime Chevy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian97c View Post
Where did you post that info? I must of missed it
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444887

Old 04-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #40
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
No concerns from me... the lights are working fine and the standard 3M double sided tape is holding strong (220°F rating) even with the big temperature swings (80°F to 20°F) we've been having around here lately.

As for the extra power drain concerns - ehh, who cares? This isn't an EV and the reverse lights are barely on for 15 seconds anyway. So unless you take an hour to back into a parking space this won't be an issue. As I noted earlier, the heatsinks don't get above 180°F when I kept the reverse lights on for 30 seconds.

Since I bought the $30 part already I don't have any desire to research if a better reverse light switch can be used, like from a CTS or something, without resorting to resistors. I'm not even sure if that's the only part that would have to change (not an electrical engineer here), but if I had to make an educated guess I'd say that just replacing the switch should work.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:06 AM   #41
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
Hello,

I'm having a hard time disconnecting the wire that goes from the car to the tail light assembly. I pulled and pulled, and got no where with it. I see the little red tab which I assume is a locking mechanism. I pulled that back so it clicked, and it still wouldn't remove. Is there a trick to this part that you can suggest?

Not sure if it matters, but I have a 2017 2SS. I'm noticing that the wire from the car is attached to the body of the car in an extra place compared to all other pics and vids I'm seeing. This gives me way less room to work with since I can't pull the tail light assembly out and away from the car enough.
BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #42
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
So seeing this thread and realizing I can't just simply swap in LED bulbs for the reverse lamps like my past what, maybe five cars, kinda sucks...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote