Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Help me get to the bottom of my weird header noise

The problem is this noise that I been noticing about a month after I installed my OBX long tube header. This is my 3rd time posting about this but it seems no one really know what I am talking about, so hopefully I can have better luck with a broader audience.

Just to clarify, I have no leaks since I know that is the first thing that will come to everyone's mind.

Anyhow, there's this raspy noise, or imagine a very thin trace paper crumpling in your hand, and I don't mean my exhaust sounding raspy because of headers. The noise is coming from the engine area and the noise come through the dashboard, more towards the passenger side. I can't hear the noise when I have the windows down but it's definitely there when I have my windows up, and it's only audible when I accelerate. The more I push the pedal the louder it get, but once I WOT the noise get lost with the high engine and exhaust noise.

WTH is this!? I been trying to figure this out for almost a year and I can't seem to find an answer. I searched on the internet frequently and I do come across alot of peoples talking about rasp after the header install but most are talking about their exhaust sounding raspy and it doesn't seem to fit with my issue. I am at the point where I am even thinking about getting rid of this long tube and try a different brand, but I need to know if this is because of the header or what?

Too much mods to take it to the dealer, and if this is really my header causing this then I wouldn't really want that to be the diagnose while at the dealer.

Anyone have any clue what it could be?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
I don't know your mods, do you have a boost gauge? a leak in a boost line can do this.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Drives: 12' IOM, 2SS, LS3
Can you hear it by hitting the gas while parked? If so, see if you can get a video of it.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
bigsquirrel

Sometimes things break that are completely unrelated to a mod you happened to be doing at that time. The raspy sound that increases as you drive makes me think of a vacuum/boost leak.

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

I have no idea why this got moved to v8 section I purposely created this thread in the general section so I can get help from everyone.

Anyhow, I appreciate you guys trying to help. My car is not boosted. Can't hear it while parked and hitting the gas. I even doubt I can catch the noise while driving since it's not loud at all. Just enough to know it's there and very annoying.

The best way to describe the noise is rasp. It almost sound like someone crumpling a very thin trace paper in your hand while accelerating. It's really weird. I just want to find out WTH it is!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Do you have the RX oil breather? Could be the check valve engaging.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
bmorecam
Account Suspended

no I don't.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
bigsquirrel

The fact that it only happens under load makes me think even more it's a vacuum leak.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Could a vacuum leak create a sound that sound like trace paper crumpling or raspy? I don't think it's vacuum leak tho because my fuel trims look fine. No extra air going in unnoticed.

This is crazy LOL. it seems no one ever knows I appreciate you helping tho either way
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Are you using the hardware that came with your OBX's to attach the header to the mid pipe? Its some springs and long bolts.
ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Headers are thinner than the cast iron manifolds. Because of this, sometimes you get what sounds like a slight ticking from the front of the car because they do not insulate sound as well. It is normal.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
goatslapper
12.527@112.33 MPH

Drives: 2010 black ss/rs cgm stripes
If you have a cia intake or any other intake,check the stud on the fender that the intake is bolted to. Mine came loose and made a buzzing sound. Locktite and retightened and noise was gone. Good luck.

Last edited by goatslapper; 02-19-2012 at 08:36 PM.
goatslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
jcollins91106

Drives: 2010 2ss m6
I had somethign similat it turned out to be the heat sheild above the cats/ x pipe starting location. I removed the sheild and it went away. Later on I re installed it with some hogh heat hard rubber peices and no more issues...This might be it but without a vid, it's hard to say.
2010 2ss M6, TSP 1 7/8 Long Tube headers,dual electric cutouts, 3" pipes all the way back to magnaflows. elite engineering catch can, custom painted engine cover,CAI cold air intake, apex cold air racescoop, jannety racing 470 hp kit, custom JRE hot rough idle blower cam, jannety racing dyno tuned. pfadt lowering springs, lsr short throw shifter, custom sub setup,sony 7" indash nav, interior stiching dye, 20% tint all around, HAVOC spoiler, tail light black out, chevy emblem black out, seibon BBII carbon fiber hood,Front and rear bowtie blackouts. 461 rwhp and not done yet!
jcollins91106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
jcollins91106

Drives: 2010 2ss m6
and it got moved from general because thats not the right section... but you will get better answers here as members specifically read these threads to help solve mechanical,engine, powertrain etc issues
2010 2ss M6, TSP 1 7/8 Long Tube headers,dual electric cutouts, 3" pipes all the way back to magnaflows. elite engineering catch can, custom painted engine cover,CAI cold air intake, apex cold air racescoop, jannety racing 470 hp kit, custom JRE hot rough idle blower cam, jannety racing dyno tuned. pfadt lowering springs, lsr short throw shifter, custom sub setup,sony 7" indash nav, interior stiching dye, 20% tint all around, HAVOC spoiler, tail light black out, chevy emblem black out, seibon BBII carbon fiber hood,Front and rear bowtie blackouts. 461 rwhp and not done yet!
jcollins91106 is offline   Reply With Quote