Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 01-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #15
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
1st thing to do is decide what class you want to run in. This will determine what you can do to your car if anything. One small change can move you up a class where you won't ever have a chance of being competitive. Then as others have said, start shooting paypal payments for tires, brakes, event fees, hotels, gas, unexpected mechanical failures and lots of long hours between events in the garage. Also get ready to buy a dually, trailer and probably a storage lease to store all the crap between events. You'll need 3 sets of wheels/tires, one for rain, two for dry. Too expensive to flat a tire and not be able to finish the weekend.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
trackwhore

Drives: 06 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
1st thing to do is decide what class you want to run in. This will determine what you can do to your car if anything. One small change can move you up a class where you won't ever have a chance of being competitive. Then as others have said, start shooting paypal payments for tires, brakes, event fees, hotels, gas, unexpected mechanical failures and lots of long hours between events in the garage. Also get ready to buy a dually, trailer and probably a storage lease to store all the crap between events. You'll need 3 sets of wheels/tires, one for rain, two for dry. Too expensive to flat a tire and not be able to finish the weekend.
Sounds about right.... Also till you get a tow vehicle and trailer. I would get AAA premier. I got 8 events last year. I blew up my T56. down for 2 months. decided to upgraded to a tr6060 with zr1 5th and 6th and a new clutch. 8k later. Then did a weekend. Then upgraded my race seats to better ones. 5 minutes after picking it up. Got tagged in my rear drivers side wheel. Another month down. Forgeline had to make a new wheel. Then since my car was down I decided to go monoball bushings since they where replacing the tierod, a arms, and bushings anyways. Then made it to a few car meets. Took it out to thunder hill on dec 20th and blew up the slave. So car is sitting in the garage for a while. The good news is Synergy is going to take care of it since they installed it less then 2500 miles ago. So get ready to be a little frustrated here and there. When the LS7 is happy its amazing. When its grumpy it makes you want to Have fun and remember seat time is better then mod time.
trackwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #17
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
yep, the dollars verse smiles is steep, but there are few other adventures that give you that sensation. Why everyone else thinks we are crazy/stupid or both.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #18
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
So i should run open lapping/amateur with an instructor and not mod/change a thing?? I guarantee im gonna get on it hard and melt the brakes or a motor. The s/c needs to go right?
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #19
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by forklord View Post
So i should run open lapping/amateur with an instructor and not mod/change a thing?? I guarantee im gonna get on it hard and melt the brakes or a motor. The s/c needs to go right?
The stock brake pads are surprisingly good, just make sure you've got plenty of thickness. Dot 4 fluid and a fresh synthetic oil (5W-50 is what I like) and change the oil right after the event, you'll probably be fine. Maybe add an oil cooler to be safe.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #20
forklord

if i remember correctly the stock oil cooler is part of the rad right? do you mean a seperate heat exchanger just for oil? JDP was gonna hook me up with a bigger rad but im not sure if its got the oil compartment too or?
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #21
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by forklord View Post
if i remember correctly the stock oil cooler is part of the rad right? do you mean a seperate heat exchanger just for oil? JDP was gonna hook me up with a bigger rad but im not sure if its got the oil compartment too or?
I'm not sure either. Last track day I ran my coolant was about 205 F but my oil would hit 290 F after just a few laps and I had to back off. My car had a 1LE oil cooler which is a coolant to oil type. Now I'm adding two air to oil coolers and bypassing the coolant to oil cooler. So now my radiator doesn't cool the oil at alll, which should keep the coolant even cooler. I'm keeping my radiator stock for now. I'm no expert but that is what I'm doing. X25 had a nice write up on his oil cooler set up, you may want to look at that thread

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 01-03-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #22
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
You don't need that stuff to get started on the road course, get out to your local track and participate in some HPDE day's. Find yourself a good instructor and go from there.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #23
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
You don't need that stuff to get started on the road course, get out to your local track and participate in some HPDE day's. Find yourself a good instructor and go from there.

He's supercharged, otherwise I would agree
Old 01-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #24
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post

Merc makes a very valid point if you look at it from the point of,you don't know what you don't know yet. What I mean is there will be things that come up that are not even on your radar right now. OC1LE makes a point, on the oil cooling and thats an area I never would have thought I needed. I purchased a ZL1 thinking I was all ready to go but I am finding when I push the car the oil gets too got for my comfort level so I need to address it. Other than that I'm ivesting in new tires and and better track alignment. Its already more car than my talent can take me.

#1 mod to go faster is YOU!
Spend that mod money on training and instruction hours and you'll go faster than any of the mods you are looking at. Guaranteed...

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Last edited by Todd in Vancouver; 01-21-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #25
forklord

yea i know youre all right . the modding bug always hits this time of year...i just wish it wasnt winter in canada so i could actually drive lol...
Old 01-04-2015, 06:26 AM   #26
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I'm not sure either. Last track day I ran my coolant was about 205 F but my oil would hit 290 F after just a few laps and I had to back off. My car had a 1LE oil cooler which is a coolant to oil type. Now I'm adding two air to oil coolers and bypassing the coolant to oil cooler. So now my radiator doesn't cool the oil at alll, which should keep the coolant even cooler. I'm keeping my radiator stock for now. I'm no expert but that is what I'm doing. X25 had a nice write up on his oil cooler set up, you may want to look at that thread
Indeed, the radiator doesn't seem to be bothered at all, though I still upgraded it since it was easier to try first

Here's my oil cooler how-to:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381050
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:40 AM   #27
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Give this a read.....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348705

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 02:18 AM   #28
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Any updates Forklord?

Here is what I've done to prep for this season
1- ordered new tires- they will be a version of the PSS
2- got my alignment numbers ready to give to my shop
3-'ordered my tow hooks from ZL Addons (on the forum here)
4 - got new braided steel brake lines and will flush with Dot 4
5- read about tires and racing, reading tire temps and what they mean and how they relate to handling and alignment

Then I'm set to go. All my fluids are changed, engine, trans and diff. Brakes coming
I'll need to explore more oil cooling later for track days but I feel the above will launch me better into AuoX

#6 is the BIGGY!
I've signed up for 3 day driver traing to start my SCCA licensing requirements.The best mod money you can spend is on YOU. Get some seat time with a proper instructor and itll knockoff more time than modding ever will. S/C is fine as long as its not creating tons of Boost = Heat so turn it down amd work on driving. Then brakes and and suspension and then and only then more power. I can garauntee that 90% of the guys cant handle the stock vehicle well and the last thing they need is more power. It'll just get you into a situation you are not ready to deal with.

Post some pics of your racing season, we all want to follow along and see how you do.,

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote