Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 AM   #1
RussCamaro11

Drives: 2015 Checy Camaro
MGP Caliper covers for 2015 RS

I'm sure this has been covers numerous times. Thinking of getting caliper covers from MGP.

My question is what has been your experience with them aside from the looks?

I have Powerstop drill slotted rotors and ceramic brakes that I just installed 6 months ago. Last thing I want to do is comprise them with the covers. Have anyone of you had issues where the covers mess with the rotors at high speeds? I use my car as a daily commuter, so this has always been a concern.

Appreciate any and all feedback!
RussCamaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #2
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Either get new calipers (Willwood is my next upgrade) or powder coat (or even paint) yours. We did mine in high temp caliper paint with new decals then two coats of clear.
Attached Images

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i painted mine with hi temp red.been a couple of years,so far so good...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
If your tracking it then hi temp.
Me, no, so I painted the calipers and rotors with oil base to match the car.
Three years later and still looks like i did it yesterday.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:24 PM   #5
SS_Dave

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Choices in order of what I'd view as preference....

1 - Powdercoat - Best looking, best durability.
2 - G2 Epoxy Paint - I've had good experience with this. Make sure you follow directions including ambient temperature when painting.
3 - Sprayed paint - Pro or second to that rattle can.
4 - Covers.

Personally, I think the covers just look cheap. But I'm guessing you also don't have the Brembos, otherwise why cover up. If that's the case, I'd still rather dress up what I have rather than pretending it's something else, or do the real upgrade.
SS_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:37 PM   #6
RussCamaro11

Great, thank you all!
Old 12-07-2022, 06:29 PM   #7
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
I have to agree with the general consensus of caliper covers not looking great. They just look like what they are..fake.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #8
Bobnoxious1

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro RS/2LT
caliper covers

I put a set on my 18 Silverado. Red with Chevrolet logo. I like them behind my black HELO wheels. One of the rear covers had a couple paint bubbles I was not happy about. Have had bad luck painting factory calipers before. Probably my fault though. Was concerned about the mounting originally but seems to be holding better than expected even at highway speeds. The biggest plus I have noticed is the amount of brake dust decrease. Covers push the dust away from the wheels. I know the front wheel pic is a dirty wheel but bad weather has struck and the road crews have been out in full force. Getting ready to remount OEM wheels for the rest of the season to avoid further salting.

Would not use to cover a set of proper brake calipers. I am aware that these are not fooling anyone who looks closely. WILL NOT be purchasing any for my Camaro.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bobnoxious1; 12-25-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Bobnoxious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #9
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I had covers on my Mustang GT; they looked cheap and fitment was a pain. I upgraded to Brembo's and life was good again. Wouldn't do the covers again - they're overpriced.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #10
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
They are definitely overpriced for what they are. The hardware is cheap crap, but they offer free hardware replacement for life. That being said I did buy MGP caliper covers for my wives 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee altitude. I didn't wanna fuss with painting them, and there is no way I am swapping in SRT Brembos on
what is basically a base model Jeep Grand cherokee v6. Also I used code Xmas28 on their website for Christmas, and saved 28% plus shipping... So I bit the bullet and bought them. Black powdercoat with the fake bolts and Jeep engravings. For my Camaro, I have the SS calipers, but am looking to potentially do a CTSV/ZL1/C8 Z06 front 6 piston caliper swap in the future.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:21 AM   #11
RussCamaro11

Great, thanks everyone for the feedback.

I had a lot of work done on the rotors and breaks recently, so hardly any more break dust. Think I'll either have the calipers powder coated upgraded to something better.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:05 AM   #12
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Last time I checked, you could buy a full set of SS calipers for roughly $300/400 on ebay. Which would be a big upgrade for not alot of money. I guess you would have to factor in new rotors as well though. Good luck!

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:23 PM   #13
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
I've had my covers on quite a few years. I painted the calipers on my previous car, and lets just say the results are not optimal. The covers go on pretty easy. I'm not trying to fool anyone that they are Brembos but I think they look great. They stay very clean and are easy to hit with a sponge when washing the car. In my case, their red pretty well matches my Victory Red. I chose the Camaro versions. They do need to come off (also pretty easy) for a brake job.
Attached Images

tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote