Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
That's a scary set of pictures. Hope your wife is ok too!

The side sensor on each side of the car is located near the floorboard in the area between the gill slits and the front door jamb. That other vehicle just about hit it directly. With that kind of damage, the impact location, and description you gave, I don't know why the side curtains or side seat bags didn't deploy.

I had the side curtain bags deploy without an impact because the computer algorithm predicted a rollover - but that's another thread altogether.

Keep us posted.

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #16
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Hope your wife will be ok. Was the Hummer driver distracted by using the phone?

Last edited by 06_warrior; 08-15-2013 at 11:26 PM.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Glad to hear that you and your family are OK. Sorry to see the damage to the car. I hope they can get it fixed and have you back on the road soon!
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I am glad you & the kids were not hurt & hope you wife turns out to be okay or just minor injuries that heal quickly. I hope your Camaro gets fixed up good as new really soon. I am interested to hear more about whether or not the air bags should have deployed. It sure does look like they should have just from a casual observers viewpoint.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
H8S FORD
Head Ford Harasser

Drives: '10 IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
You may have a case for a lawsuit. Give it some thought.

This is what's wrong with this country- this individual had no information about the incident yet; no direction or speed of travel, angle of impact, etc. The OP posted this after! However, he automatically jumps to the conclusion of sue! If you want to know why we can't have t-tops on our Camaros, it's because people like this would sue if the side curtains did in fact go off and cause the tops to break and send glass on the occupants. Screwed either way- sue, sue, sue! Check the facts on the operation of the equipment and the circumstances of the incident before dragging a company's name through the mud. People like you my friend have ruined many things in life for the rest of us.

Off my soap box now...

To the OP, hope your family is okay! I gave up my C6 for my SS so that I could take my newborn son to child care (here in Commiefornia, it is illegal to place any child in a carseat, in the front seat of a vehicle, regardless of whether that vehicle has a backseat or not), so this is a little alarming. God bless and good luck!

Dave
H8S FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #20
IowaGuy

Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
I'd refrain from posting in case
lawyers get involved. Best wishes!
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #21
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatch76 View Post
maybe hit me at about 10 mph...she then drove into the car and pushed us to the side of the road, maybe another 7 feet.
10 mph is not enough for the side air bags to go off. It requires more force than was exerted or a sudden change in side to side movement to set them off. Now if she hit you going 20 mph then yes it would have went off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediblyX View Post
Long story short, the airbags should've deployed. I hope your family is okay.
Read this part again. "18 mph for the more distributed side crashes (vehicle-to-vehicle crashes)."
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #22
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Was the passenger window up or down? If down the side airbag would have had nothing to press against when it inflated to protect her. That may be why it did not go off.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #23
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I wouldn't think side bags would deploy at 10 mph. That's a lot of damage but I'd guess a good bit of it came during the "pushed us to the side of the road, maybe another 7 feet" phase.

I'm guessing the Hummer driver had no sense of what was going on around her... idiot!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #24
fcatch76

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy View Post
I'd refrain from posting in case
lawyers get involved. Best wishes!
I am not sue happy and just want to know if the bags should have deployed. The story is not being exaggerated or embellished. I will talk to Chevy about it but in the long run I still feel proud to own this car and feel it was built like a tank. I drove my car home, the hummer had to be towed by a flat bed. That's gotta say something for the car....now I just hope it can be fixed...I don't want a different car, I want MY car.

And yes, the Windows were down, but the collision caused the glass to get through the door and onto the kids. Sunroof was open, did not shatter.

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
fcatch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
pmandeep

Drives: 2013 VR 2LT/RS
Glad to hear that you and your kids are okay, and hopefully your wife will be back to okay and healed up. Take care of your family and keep us posted with the repairs on the car.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #26
H8S FORD
Head Ford Harasser

Drives: '10 IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatch76 View Post
I am not sue happy and just want to know if the bags should have deployed. The story is not being exaggerated or embellished. I will talk to Chevy about it but in the long run I still feel proud to own this car and feel it was built like a tank.
H8S FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
fcatch76

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Thx again everyone..nice to have so many caring members.

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
fcatch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
My first thought with any accident is that I hope all are OK. It sounds like you folks, and the other driver, are going to be alright, and that is the only real thing that matters. The car looks terrible right now, but we know they can fix it. As far as the air bags, and whether they should have deployed or not, I would want to find out, but I think there is one thing we as owners need to keep in mind. From what I understand, these bodies are aluminum. If this is the case, I think damage is going to look much worse, and accidents that look like bags should have gone off may not. If this is not the case, maybe someone can set me straight!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote