The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #1
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
2020 Cadillac CT5 finally appears, hopes you think it's a Charger

2020 Cadillac CT5 finally appears, hopes you think it's a Charger

Jan 11th 2018 at 3:32PM
Last summer, Cadillac announced that it will be dropping the ATS, CTS and XTS for one sedan, presumably called CT5 to fit the naming scheme set by the CT6 and XT5. Now we get our very first look at the upcoming sedan thanks to these spy shots.

The first thing that jumps out is the big hood scoop. We sincerely doubt that scoop will make it to production, and when combined with the scalloped shapes on the car's flanks, we and the spy photographer feel they're probably there to dupe people into thinking it's a weird Dodge Charger. The disguise isn't working, but the scoop surprisingly looks pretty good. Maybe Cadillac should consider putting one on an inevitable V model.

Moving past the fake bodywork, we can see that this CT5 takes inspiration from the Cadillac Escala concept. It has the long, almost fastback cabin and extra rear quarter window of that concept. The headlights are slim horizontal units, too, though they still sweep back a bit to bridge the gap between current models and the Escala. We also see that there's a decent amount of distance between the front axle and the base of the A-pillar, so we suspect that the sedan will retain rear-drive and optional all-wheel-drive drivetrains.

We don't have any other cars in the image to compare it to, but considering the cars the CT5 will replace, we expect it's roughly the size of a CTS, maybe even a touch smaller to satisfy those who want a 3 Series/A4/C-Class size luxury sedan. It will also probably use one or more of the existing powertrains in the Cadillac sedan fleet, which include a turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder, naturally aspirated 3.6-liter V6, and a twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V6. We'll also probably see the production model sometime in 2019 since that's when the CTS and ATS will go to the big garage in the sky.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/11/...#slide-7208755
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Cadillac Escala Concept

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...sected-feature
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Cool to see this pop up. What I want to know is what is this thing riding on? Updated version of Alpha? (I think I read that somewhere?) or smaller version of CT6 Omega platform, which should make the car pretty light.

Anyone think that the next gen Camaro will wind up sharing the chassis with this car? This car looks to have a longer wheelbase than one might want for the Camaro, but hard to say. If it really is larger than ATS, but a tad smaller than CTS, it might actually work just fine for the next gen Camaro, and thus we should end up with a slightly roomier 7th gen Camaro.

I don't know of another existing platform they could use, unless they stick with the current Alpha for Camaro.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
looks pretty damn good to me! waiting for the CT5 V please haha

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Cool to see this pop up. What I want to know is what is this thing riding on? Updated version of Alpha? (I think I read that somewhere?) or smaller version of CT6 Omega platform, which should make the car pretty light.

Anyone think that the next gen Camaro will wind up sharing the chassis with this car? This car looks to have a longer wheelbase than one might want for the Camaro, but hard to say. If it really is larger than ATS, but a tad smaller than CTS, it might actually work just fine for the next gen Camaro, and thus we should end up with a slightly roomier 7th gen Camaro.

I don't know of another existing platform they could use, unless they stick with the current Alpha for Camaro.
A2LL.

I think Camaro's already confirmed A2BC.