The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
I feel obligated to pass.

When driving my mother's Hyundai Accent, I feel like I get no respect on the road. Cars just cut me off, pass me on the right, and in general treat the car's presence on the road like a joke. For this reason (and many other, safety related ones) I've told her she needs to get something else (it's time anyway).

On the flip side, you have what happens with my black 2012. Where I'm at, it's pretty common for a caravan of cars to cruise in the passing lane on highways, moving a bit faster than the wall of cars in the right lane.

Often times, when there are just a few cars in the passing lane, and I'm approaching one of them, they will scoot over to the right lane to let me pass. That is very nice of them. But, I honestly had no intent to go much faster than they were. So now they are over in the right lane, expecting me to pass them, so they can get back in the left and continue on their way.

Well, if you insist, I'll go faster!

Then the merge back behind me.

I guess they are being nice, and it's useful when I'm in a rush...
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
You're supposed to stay in the right lane unless you're passing. Being nice? Only assholes cruise in the left lane.
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbaconrules View Post
You're supposed to stay in the right lane unless you're passing. Being nice? Only assholes cruise in the left lane.
Well, I'd say about 50% or more of the cars on the road during my commute ride in the passing lane.

Are you saying 50% or more of the people on the road in New Jersey are assholes?

(If so, I can't really debate that...)
Old 09-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Well, I'd say about 50% or more of the cars on the road during my commute ride in the passing lane.

Well... if 50% do it, that makes it alright.

(um....)
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
Is your other car an IROC-Z, seeing as your from NY? If so I would say that those people are jerks if they are in the left lane haha

Last edited by J-Crazy Camaro; 09-15-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: language
J-Crazy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
NJScorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Crazy Camaro View Post
Is your other car an IROC-Z, seeing as your from NY? If so I would say that those people are assholes
Haha, no, but I'm crossing my fingers we see a Gen6 IROC-Z...especially with the big IROC-Z graphics on sides.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Haha, no, but I'm crossing my fingers we see a Gen6 IROC-Z...especially with the big IROC-Z graphics on sides.
Since the International Race or Champions is no more, I highly doubt that you will see that car.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:

Are you saying 50% or more of the people on the road in New Jersey are assholes?

(If so, I can't really debate that...)
I would love to see 50% down here in Miami. Around here, 99% of people cruise in the left lane. Even when the road is mostly empty. I am shocked when someone moves out of the left lane when I come up behind them around here. I just assume they must be from somewhere else when they move over.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
It's a legal requirement to move over to let people pass, period, end of story. They're following the law, and don't be one of those people that just camps out and paces people in the next lane over. If you're in the left lane, you're passing. If you're not passing, you're moving over.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
In Ct it's the law. Large signs on the interstates say: "Keep right except to pass".
Of course the yahoos pay no attention.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
When driving my mother's Hyundai Accent, I feel like I get no respect on the road. Cars just cut me off, pass me on the right, and in general treat the car's presence on the road like a joke. For this reason (and many other, safety related ones) I've told her she needs to get something else (it's time anyway).

On the flip side, you have what happens with my black 2012. Where I'm at, it's pretty common for a caravan of cars to cruise in the passing lane on highways, moving a bit faster than the wall of cars in the right lane.

Often times, when there are just a few cars in the passing lane, and I'm approaching one of them, they will scoot over to the right lane to let me pass. That is very nice of them. But, I honestly had no intent to go much faster than they were. So now they are over in the right lane, expecting me to pass them, so they can get back in the left and continue on their way.

Well, if you insist, I'll go faster!

Then the merge back behind me.

I guess they are being nice, and it's useful when I'm in a rush...

most likely scenario is that they think you'll speed, get all the police attention, and allow them go faster while the cops are occupied with you.

Its a trap.
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets77 View Post
most likely scenario is that they think you'll speed, get all the police attention, and allow them go faster while the cops are occupied with you.

Its a trap.
Yeah, usually it's far smarter to follow the fastest car in the event that there may be police presence.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Around here it's ok to drive in the left lane as long as your going about 80+ which is almost everyone. Cops only watch out for the ones who clog the passing lane up driving 65 like the right lane. On occasion If someone is in the left lane doing 65 and the right has been open for the past couple 100 feet I will pass on the right. But it's ok at least it's not on the shoulder! Right!
Old 09-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
J-Crazy Camaro

Drives: Red V8
just became effective in GA as of July 1, 2014. if you are a slowpoke you will get pulled-over

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/...0132014/HB/459

Last edited by J-Crazy Camaro; 09-15-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: update info
J-Crazy Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote