Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Got my first warning for speeding, that didn't take long

First, I'm not anti-police. I've gotten plenty of tickets I deserved and respectfully signed them and paid my fines.

Funny that we were just talking about this in another thread. On the way into work this morning about 6am going through Winston Salem where Business 40 drops from 60mph to 45mph. I'm moving with traffic, not passing anyone when a car drops in behind me (fast lane). I'm already doing 10mph over so I just keep the cruise on, with the right lane traveling same speed as me we're a rolling road block. Then the car behind me lurches forward and starts tail-gating me. So close I can't see his headlights.

This continues for 2 miles. I decide that's plenty and downshift into 3rd and punch it. As soon as I clear the right lane traffic I move over and let 3rd gear pull the car back down to 55mph, so no brake lights. I know I topped 75mph for at least 2 seconds according to the HUD. Car behind me speeds up and moves to the right and up my tail again, so I move to the left lane without hitting the gas, just moved over. You guessed it, it's a Police Officer and he lights me up.

I immediately pulled over and the normal conversation ensues.
  • How you doing?
  • What's your hurry?
  • License and registration, etc.
I explained that after he tail-gated me for 2 miles I decided to speed up and let him by. Then when he climbed up my azz again I was attempting to let him by on the right. He explained that I should've just moved over. I asked how that could be accomplished without speeding up and with the right lane full, should I just brake potentially further angering the driver tail-gating me? I encouraged him to run my license to see that I have zero tickets in the last 3 years so I'm not in the habit of driving 30mph over the speed limit. We agreed to disagree and the warning was issued.

Quite frankly I would've loved to go to court for this one. Even if I received a ticket I would've liked to had an opportunity to explain what this officer did to a judge. I certainly wasn't innocent as I was doing 10 over. I wasn't unsafe for condition and honestly was traveling with traffic not passing. Anyway I feel 1/2 lucky and 1/2 pissed.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
In my opinion, if you would've went to court, you would have lost. Especially admitting that you went over the speed limit. I would say count yourself lucky that you didn't get the ticket. It also sounds like the police officer had been following the two of you for awhile and you just didn't see him until you moved in front of him.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
In my opinion, if you would've went to court, you would have lost. Especially admitting that you went over the speed limit. I would say count yourself lucky that you didn't get the ticket.
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
you were speeding, but officer friendly was also being a D I _ K.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I woulda just slammed on my brakes because "I thought I saw an animal run out onto the road" I hate it when cops do that. I've had this happen to me before where a cop gets so far up my butt you cant even see the headlights and I'm not even going over the speed limit.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Yup, absolutely speeding and yes would've got a ticket. Not two of us traveling side by side by the way.....6 including the officer.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Johnman

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertible IOM
I got my first speeding ticket in 6 years just a few weeks after getting my car. I answered questions about the car for him as he wrote my ticket. What can ya do? To quote the late great Dewey Cox, I was "guilty as charged".
Johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
melvinakshay
Vrooom Vrooom

Drives: Camaro 2011 black LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
I woulda just slammed on my brakes because "I thought I saw an animal run out onto the road" I hate it when cops do that. I've had this happen to me before where a cop gets so far up my butt you cant even see the headlights and I'm not even going over the speed limit.
this
melvinakshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnman View Post
I got my first speeding ticket in 6 years just a few weeks after getting my car. I answered questions about the car for him as he wrote my ticket. What can ya do? To quote the late great Dewey Cox, I was "guilty as charged".
LOL, couldn't agree more. Never got a ticket I didn't deserve.....well maybe one. Did feel a little like I was being baited though.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Learned this years ago, to get a tailgater off of you just gradually slow down without hitting the brakes. You have to really slow down as they are pacing off of you! They are expecting you to react as you did. Most people "brake check them" or "speed up" which just allows them to continue behind you. The slowing down forces them to go around you. If you can look at their frustrated faces in the mirror as they go past you.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Smittty

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro 2000 SLP Camaro
Be happy you just got a warning and it sounds like the officer was guilty also of a traffic infraction. You could call and make a formal complaint against him for his driving if you want,
Smittty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Car envy on the cops part. Most cops would have to save their entire salary for 2 years to buy a ZL1 and they bait fast cars into doing things just so they can feel better about themselves. Next time tell him if he works real hard and applies himself, one day he can have to deal with a jealous cop himself. :-) Make sure you can afford the ticket first.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
POLICE VS US

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
First, I'm not anti-police. I've gotten plenty of tickets I deserved and respectfully signed them and paid my fines.

Funny that we were just talking about this in another thread. On the way into work this morning about 6am going through Winston Salem where Business 40 drops from 60mph to 45mph. I'm moving with traffic, not passing anyone when a car drops in behind me (fast lane). I'm already doing 10mph over so I just keep the cruise on, with the right lane traveling same speed as me we're a rolling road block. Then the car behind me lurches forward and starts tail-gating me. So close I can't see his headlights.

This continues for 2 miles. I decide that's plenty and downshift into 3rd and punch it. As soon as I clear the right lane traffic I move over and let 3rd gear pull the car back down to 55mph, so no brake lights. I know I topped 75mph for at least 2 seconds according to the HUD. Car behind me speeds up and moves to the right and up my tail again, so I move to the left lane without hitting the gas, just moved over. You guessed it, it's a Police Officer and he lights me up.

I immediately pulled over and the normal conversation ensues.
  • How you doing?
  • What's your hurry?
  • License and registration, etc.
I explained that after he tail-gated me for 2 miles I decided to speed up and let him by. Then when he climbed up my azz again I was attempting to let him by on the right. He explained that I should've just moved over. I asked how that could be accomplished without speeding up and with the right lane full, should I just brake potentially further angering the driver tail-gating me? I encouraged him to run my license to see that I have zero tickets in the last 3 years so I'm not in the habit of driving 30mph over the speed limit. We agreed to disagree and the warning was issued.

Quite frankly I would've loved to go to court for this one. Even if I received a ticket I would've liked to had an opportunity to explain what this officer did to a judge. I certainly wasn't innocent as I was doing 10 over. I wasn't unsafe for condition and honestly was traveling with traffic not passing. Anyway I feel 1/2 lucky and 1/2 pissed.

I AM A PATCH HOLDING BIKER. BECAUSE POLICE HAVE A TENDENCY TO STOP US OFTEN WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE I AM SELLING SUNGLASSES THAT RECORD AUDIO AND VIDEO FOR 1.5 HOURS . WE HAVE USED THESE SUCCESSFULLY IN COURT. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED PM ME AND I'LL SEND YOU SOME INFO.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
well at least you didn't get a ticket, hey CVP how long did you have the CTS-V before you got pulled over? does the ZL-1 beat that record..

and FWIW, I haven't been pulled over for speeding in my SS yet, but I have 3 times because of my tail lights..