Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-15-2021, 06:40 PM   #1
Teeth

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
I think I ran into the 2010 V8 starter/positive cable issue

After doing some fiddling around and even installing a new crankshaft sensor, I think I found the issue.

There was a recall out for this a while back, am I out of luck?
L99 to LS3 conversion, Vararam ram air intake, BTR Nightfury cam, Johnson lifters, LS7 injectors, Circle D 3200 stall converter, Kooks LT headers, Custom X-pipe
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:29 AM   #2
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
The cable comes from the front jumper post. It is a "Y" out, of the front power
cable. That goes across the front engine cradle, then "Y"s again at the alternator,
then to the fuse/relay center.

You can CUT the starter cable off, and make a separate one. I made a brand new
front power cable, and I separated the starter cable from it, it is an 0/1 cable. I ran
all new 4GA from the jumper post, to the alternator, then to the fuse/relay center.

You can find the FROM battery, to jumper post cable all day, but you would be
pressed to find a new FRONT one. So, I made my own. All new loom and heat
shrink on the eyelets.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRubin View Post
The cable comes from the front jumper post. It is a "Y" out, of the front power
cable. That goes across the front engine cradle, then "Y"s again at the alternator,
then to the fuse/relay center.

You can CUT the starter cable off, and make a separate one. I made a brand new
front power cable, and I separated the starter cable from it, it is an 0/1 cable. I ran
all new 4GA from the jumper post, to the alternator, then to the fuse/relay center.

You can find the FROM battery, to jumper post cable all day, but you would be
pressed to find a new FRONT one. So, I made my own. All new loom and heat
shrink on the eyelets.
Guessing you had to pull the starter for that? How much of a pain is it to even cute these lines?
L99 to LS3 conversion, Vararam ram air intake, BTR Nightfury cam, Johnson lifters, LS7 injectors, Circle D 3200 stall converter, Kooks LT headers, Custom X-pipe
Old 07-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeth View Post
After doing some fiddling around and even installing a new crankshaft sensor, I think I found the issue.

There was a recall out for this a while back, am I out of luck?
A recall last forever, if it was a TSB it depends how it is written. The cable issue only affected early builds in 09.

The other guys car is a V6, his cable routing may be different than the SS.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
You can check the recall status on your car via GM’s recall website.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
FrankT
400HP used to be enough..

Drives: 2010 2SS rs manual
There is a TSB about it, early model V8 cars. Serial number breakpoints are A9000406 to A9106537.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT View Post
There is a TSB about it, early model V8 cars. Serial number breakpoints are A9000406 to A9106537.
Thank you, I will look into it
Old 07-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
Teeth

Well it's not in that TSB at all, A9166...

Wondering what the issue is. Checked other threads and they found that headers will make things hot and melt sometimes...which has happened in the car. An issue like this crept up with the line going to the fuse box being messed up. The line down from the jump post has signs of heat on it as well.

The newest problem I had was the metal on the coolant line touching the metal on the new oil cooler I installed. I'm thinking a current went through there, since there was smoke coming from between the coolant and oil lines touching whenever I would start the car up (of course it wouldn't start at all and smoke just came from those lines. It would start when I pulled the lines away from one another and had someone turn the key).

But then after that the car didn't start again the next day for some reason, and threw stabilitrak error and fuel pump codes. I've isolated the positive cable as best I could from engine metal, so I'm thinking it might be a starter or grounding issue.
Old 01-16-2024, 11:43 AM   #9
SSixxgunn

Drives: 2015 Camaro, 2SS
Bumping.

Think I might have the same issue. Curious if anyone has had this issue and carried it to resolution.
SSixxgunn is offline   Reply With Quote