Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you want T-Tops on your new 5th Gen?
Yes 126 66.32%
No 64 33.68%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #57
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
T Tops ROCK.. it's like a convertible.. but you still have something over your head.... i don't think they will be brought back though :(

I wrecked a pontiac G6 with the panoramic sun roof ... that sucked. i still miss that sun roof. :(
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #58
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
New member here.

Hey

Just found this forum and thought I'd sign up. Seems like a lot of good discussion going on here.

Like everyone else, I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 5th Gen. My last Camaro was a 3rd Gen RS that I "upgraded" everything to make a Z-28 (same performance, lower insurance). I had to get rid of it and was looking for another one when I got married. I couldn't afford to have two cars, as I didn't drive my Camaro in the winter (Nebraska winters aren't the best), so I stuck with something more practical....a 1999 Silverado Extended Cab Z-71...1st year of that body style. Once I got to the point where I could afford to have a Camaro again, I started looking, but then my wife got pregnant, so again, the Camaro fell down on the priority list (and stayed there since we just had our 3rd kid in December). I traded my '99 Silverado last June for an 06' Crew Cab Short Bed Z-71 (needed more room in the cab for hauling the kids around).

I've been bugging my wife about getting a Camaro (esp since now I have a 3 car garage, so there's somewhere to store it in the winter), and she's been great about it, but it hasn't been practical for us to do so. I basically made a deal with her when I saw the 5th Gen concept...I'll wait until the 5th Gen's come out before getting one....more time to save up (since like the rest of you, I want the biggest, baddest engine they offer).

There is only one other thing I want on my 5th Gen, and I haven't really seen anyone talking about it. I've written to GM 3 or 4 times in the last 10 months about it and of course, there's been no response. Coupe in late '08, Convertible in '09. Where's the T-top version? This car would look sweet with T-tops and would give the Camaro one more plus over the Mustang (as if it needed anymore). I miss my T-tops from my old Camaro (and my '82 Monte Carlo from high school too). Personally, I think GM/Chevy would be insane not to make the t-top version. They have better insurance rates than convertibles. Considering nobody currently makes a t-top car and there are fewer and fewer targa tops out there, a t-top Camaro would stand out even more. Just my two cents.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join up. I'll try to join in the conversations and be an active member.

Keep up the good work.
Silverado

Last edited by Silverado; 04-27-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #59
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
Hey

Just found this forum and thought I'd sign up. Seems like a lot of good discussion going on here.

Like everyone else, I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the 5th Gen. My last Camaro was a 3rd Gen RS that I "upgraded" everything to make a Z-28 (same performance, lower insurance). I had to get rid of it and was looking for another one when I got married. I couldn't afford to have two cars, as I didn't drive my Camaro in the winter (Nebraska winters aren't the best), so I stuck with something more practical....a 1999 Silverado Extended Cab Z-71...1st year of that body style. Once I got to the point where I could afford to have a Camaro again, I started looking, but then my wife got pregnant, so again, the Camaro fell down on the priority list (and stayed there since we just had our 3rd kid in December). I traded my '99 Silverado last June for an 06' Crew Cab Short Bed Z-71 (needed more room in the cab for hauling the kids around).

I've been bugging my wife about getting a Camaro (esp since now I have a 3 car garage, so there's somewhere to store it in the winter), and she's been great about it, but it hasn't been practical for us to do so. I basically made a deal with her when I saw the 5th Gen concept...I'll wait until the 5th Gen's come out before getting one....more time to save up (since like the rest of you, I want the biggest, baddest engine they offer).

There is only one other thing I want on my 5th Gen, and I haven't really seen anyone talking about it. I've written to GM 3 or 4 times in the last 10 months about it and of course, there's been no response. Coupe in late '08, Convertible in '09. Where's the T-top version? This car would look sweet with T-tops and would give the Camaro one more plus over the Mustang (as if it needed anymore). I miss my T-tops from my old Camaro (and my '82 Monte Carlo from high school too). Personally, I think GM/Chevy would be insane not to make the t-top version. They have better insurance rates than convertibles. Considering nobody currently makes a t-top car and there are fewer and fewer targa tops out there, a t-top Camaro would stand out even more. Just my two cents.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join up. I'll try to join in the conversations and be an active member.

Keep up the good work.
Silverado

Welcome to the site! You definitely bring up a very hot topic with the t-tops. It seems as though there are 2 camps: One that really wants them no matter what, and another that feels as though they will not look right on this car and will disrupt the lines. I am undecided personally. i would have to see it first to decide either way.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #60
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

T-tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
Welcome to the site! You definitely bring up a very hot topic with the t-tops. It seems as though there are 2 camps: One that really wants them no matter what, and another that feels as though they will not look right on this car and will disrupt the lines. I am undecided personally. i would have to see it first to decide either way.

Thanks for the welcome.

As I mentioned about the t-tops,I want them. Now, having said that, I don't want to see the car changed a lot to accomodate them. I don't think you could get away with glass tops on this car. I think you need to stick with the solid roof panels here.

Although, if they would do t-tops, with the proper reinforcement....they could get away with aluminum (or the more expensive carbon fiber) panels to help save on the weight. (I agree with what was said before about the weight of the car, so anything that can be done to help that would be a plus as well.).

Last edited by Silverado; 04-27-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #61
i want 1

Drives: 2002 harley davidson heritage
welcome silverado.
i share ur passion about the T's. i think it would look sweet as hell whith this cars body lines. hell even a corvette style targa would look sweet. but i don't see GM doing this and putting the carbon pannels on to keep the weight down that would be ness to re-inforce the uni-body b/c of the lack of roof strength. it would no longer be a 26k car.
but hey anything is possible. maybe we could start a petition here and submit it to GM. but i dought anything would come of it. but we should still try.
maybe one of the moderators could help us with that.
jay.
i want 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:32 AM   #62
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Do You Want T-Tops on the 5th Gen?

Welcome, Silverado! Hope you enjoy the site and post up!

Here ya go, Jay. I added a poll. This site is frequented by GM staff so I wouldn't doubt it if this is noticed. Everyone has to vote to make it count, though. Just click the yes or no!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:22 AM   #63
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
I'm on the fence. I have been spoiled with my '89 Formula 350 and my TA that I have now. I love my T-tops. In good weather they come out before I go to work and go back in when I lock up for the night(unless I go somewhere where I know I'll be away from it for a bit). Plus I love throwing the deuce straight up as I leave some import, or sticking my head out to yell at friends in their cars at stoplights. I'd take any kind of open roof setup as long as it's tastefully executed, isn't a huge weight issue, and is structurally sound. Otherwise I'll go without. A narrow sunroof down the center like the current Maxima wouldn't look too bad on it...
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:19 PM   #64
evalentin32

Drives: 2000 CELICA and 1977 Corvette
Send a message via AIM to evalentin32
no t-top?

Has anyone heard if they will be a t-top option for the 09 camaro?
evalentin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #65
darthknight72

Drives: 1983 trans am
We know there will be a convertible,but beyound that who knows.The Mustang doesnt have a t-top or sunroof option,so the t-top might be a thing of the past.Thats just a guess of course.GM might not even know yet if they plan on a t-top.My best advice would be to let the General know you want a t-top in your new Camaro,if there is a big response for people wanting a t-top Im sure they'll make one.
darthknight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 PM   #66
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
There will be no T-Tops... Ed Welburn stated that during an interview a while back:

The interviewer asks, are there going to be any other body styles besides coupe and convertable? and Ed responds we are only planning on producing coupes and convertable. (he said it real flat, and matter-of-factly; as though he's been asked this thousands of times before)
Old 07-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #67
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

While I agree with what you say Dragon, (and I interpret his response that way too), technically, technically, a t-top car is a coupe. So, there could still be a chance (I'm not holding my breath) that the t-tops could be an option....still two body styles...coupe and convertible....the coupe just has a t-top option.

Now, honestly, I wish GM would get their collective heads out of their asses and make the t-tops an option. I've said it before....t-tops would make this car hotter than it already is.

Here's what's going to happen....they will finally come right out and say "no t-tops", so I will wait for the convertible. Then, in late 2010 or early 2011, they will come out with t-tops, just to piss me off......(they did the same thing with my Silverado Ext Cab...."no, we aren't doing a 4th door", so I buy my '99 in June....in November, there are Y2K models on dealer lots with the 4th door....).

GM....Listen up....make t-tops an option.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #68
SSRich

Drives: 1967 camaroSS
i dont see the new camaro getting T-Tops they said it cant be done no matter how much i want them. But maybe we could get a Targa top or something, I read a guy works with sunroofs business and they got a large number order for the camaro.
SSRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #69
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
I don't want T-tops. I just want it to be a true hardtop
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:19 PM   #70
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'd do a targa top similar to the vette. Depending on cost, I'd look into getting it done by an after market company....if they could do it right.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote