Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #29
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ss/rs View Post
so you are saying if there is more water then coolant the water will steam off changing the color and make it low.. in the radtior
Well, if I'm correct, it is the coolant that brings the boiling point up much higher than that of water. If the mixture is too weak, than the boiling point drops, which could allow the water to evaporate.

Looking at the OP's pic, the liquid in the radiator is almost, if not completely clear like water, almost as if there is no Dex-Cool at all. It should be bright orange. Also, if the mixture is too weak, if the water boils around the cylinder walls, the bubbling would create air pockets, also raising the temps.

At least this is my line of thinking.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #30
Paolo

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
ok,i was thinking about adding some distilled water into the reservoir,and let the car idle for some time,while checking for any leaks under radiator or the reservoir,i just hope i can find it,is there any other place to check?
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:43 AM   #31
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
If you plan on putting in new fluid anyways water wouldnt hurt for troubleshooting purposes and a temporary holdover

Dexcool or 50/50 is pretty cheap at any auto store. I dont know how common auto stores are in italy, but I dont see why you wouldnt just use 50/50
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:06 AM   #32
Paolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soybeanrice View Post
If you plan on putting in new fluid anyways water wouldnt hurt for troubleshooting purposes and a temporary holdover

Dexcool or 50/50 is pretty cheap at any auto store. I dont know how common auto stores are in italy, but I dont see why you wouldnt just use 50/50
Here in italy dexcool is impossible to find,they always try to sell me other coolant,i have ordered 2 gallons of dexcool from ebay it should come in some days,as soon as it arrive i will flush the system and add the dexcool.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #33
Paolo

i have filled the radiator and reservoir,and it took about only 1 liter of distilled water to fill them back,the strange fact is that the reservoir was completely dry,is it 1 liter enough to fill it back?Another strange fact is that the reservoir water is always cold,even after a 1 hour drive is this normal?
Old 05-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #34
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
go get your cooling system pressure tested!!!! they should find the leak
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #35
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
i have filled the radiator and reservoir,and it took about only 1 liter of distilled water to fill them back,the strange fact is that the reservoir was completely dry,is it 1 liter enough to fill it back?Another strange fact is that the reservoir water is always cold,even after a 1 hour drive is this normal?

Check it again after you run it and the radiator has cooled down. Air pockets can get trapped in the lines and make it seem like it is full. Also check the water pump. At 6 years old the water pump may have a slow leak.

If you haven't checked or refilled the reservoir in 6 years I suppose it's a possibility that the coolant evaporated when it got pushed out to the reservoir (when running hot). Unless the fill tank is pressurized (some are, some aren't) then you have a leak.

Probably a good idea to check your belts, hoses, etc. and have a thermostat on hand in case the time comes to replace it.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #36
Paolo

Thanks everyone for the help,i get the cooling system pressure tested,and it didnt showed any leak,i got the coolant flushed,and right now my car stays on temp much better than before(between 203-208 when cruising and 212-226 at idle),i want to thanks everyone for the tips and help thank you.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:11 PM   #37
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
if no leaks then sounds like it might have just evaporated over the past 6 years and was low. it does need topping off every few years.

good to see you had it pressure tested... now you can drive without worry.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #38
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
2011 2SS L99 with only 5,000 miles on it. All original fluids ,monitored and checked a couple times a year. Except engine oil changed a few times,its a 5 year old car after all.

Yesterday it was 85dg outside
cruising- 190dg coolant with 180dg trans temp
in traffic- 220dg coolant with 200dg trans temp

The old 1986 IROC-Z's I used to restore , we watched the temp gauge more than the speedometer. It would move like a second hand on a round clock , as you slowed down for traffic or stopped at red lights. Anybody else remember that?
amz is offline   Reply With Quote