The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-17-2023, 07:07 AM   #1345
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Not to be knit-picky, but GM is the brand. Chevrolet is a division.

If you compare brands GM outsells Tesla by a boatload.
Absolutely wrong sir. Chevrolet is the brand. General Motors is the corporation. If you measure by corporations, General Motors outsells Tesla by a boatload. Consumers buy brands, not corporations.

Just like Lamborghini is the brand but Volkswagen is the corporation. I could go on with more examples, but I trust you get the point.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:40 AM   #1346
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Absolutely wrong sir. Chevrolet is the brand. General Motors is the corporation. If you measure by corporations, General Motors outsells Tesla by a boatload. Consumers buy brands, not corporations.

Just like Lamborghini is the brand but Volkswagen is the corporation. I could go on with more examples, but I trust you get the point.
Wrong.

I stand by the fact Chevy is a division of the General Motors company. You can spin it all you want but you are 100% incorrect.

Per wickipedia:

"Chevrolet (/ˌʃɛvrəˈleɪ/ SHEV-rə-LAY) (colloquially referred to as Chevy and formally the Chevrolet Motor Division of General Motors Company) is an American automobile division of the manufacturer General Motors (GM). "

Unless that is you're referring to it's historic placement, as yes you would be correct that it was in fact a brand from 1911-1918.

People might "buy" Chevrolet, but they all know it's General Motors they're buying. No one has ever bought an Impala thinking it was built by Honda.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:59 AM   #1347
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Budweiser is the brand. Anheuser-Busch is the corporation. Nobody buys a Budweiser thinking they're going to drink a six pack of Anheuser-Busch.

Same with Chevy and GM.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #1348
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Budweiser is the brand. Anheuser-Busch is the corporation. Nobody buys a Budweiser thinking they're going to drink a six pack of Anheuser-Busch.

Same with Chevy and GM.
They're brands in the vernacular, but technically in business they are divisions. Fact.

PMD ring a bell anyone? They silk screened the acronym on every wheel they made in the 60s.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:34 AM   #1349
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Wrong.

I stand by the fact Chevy is a division of the General Motors company. You can spin it all you want but you are 100% incorrect.

Per wickipedia:

"Chevrolet (/ˌʃɛvrəˈleɪ/ SHEV-rə-LAY) (colloquially referred to as Chevy and formally the Chevrolet Motor Division of General Motors Company) is an American automobile division of the manufacturer General Motors (GM).
That is at best a 1980s definition of the company. In the mid-80s (I was there when it happened) the company reorganized the company. The focus was to set up administrative activities under BRANDS (Buick, Cadillac Chevrolet, GMC, Oldsmobile, Pontiac) and all the manufacturing operations got pulled into “divisions”. So at that time, I went from working for Buick Transmission to working for Hydramatic Division without even moving my desk. This was all a result of the “why does my Oldsmobile have a Chevrolet engine?” Lawsuits in the ‘80s. Manufacturing operations got moved into operating divisions that provided product to the BRANDS. That’s why Camaros and Cadillacs can be built in the same plant and use the same engines and transmissions. The manufacturing division makes the parts / cars and provides them to the BRANDS for sale.

Quote:
Unless that is you're referring to it's historic placement, as yes you would be correct that it was in fact a brand from 1911-1918.

People might "buy" Chevrolet, but they all know it's General Motors they're buying. No one has ever bought an Impala thinking it was built by Honda.
You’d actually be surprised how many people DON’T know that Chevrolet is General Motors or that Cadillac is General Motors. A few years after the restructuring that I referred to above, some of the leadership did a survey to better understand brand awareness. They came to the conclusion that people knew what a Chevrolet was and what a Cadillac was but did not realize the association with General Motors. The result was the addition on all GM vehicles of the little chiclet that said GM. I’m sure some here remember those and may even have a car somewhere that still has them. That didn’t last long. Logic kicked in and people understood the difference between BRAND and CORPORATION and the chiclets were removed.

Actually, rather than rely on Wikipedia, why not just ask GM how they define their brands. Photo below…
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 11-17-2023, 09:03 AM   #1350
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Man people were arguing technicalities and I wasn't involved!
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:16 AM   #1351
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
And at the end of the day, the top shareholders are the same as every other company that matters and controlled by the same folks.
I mean, come on man!
The company's top leaders really have their nose to the grindstone! And they're delivering what's wanted!

*the grindstone being (Blackrock) Larry Fink's pelvic tat

workplace type humor
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:20 AM   #1352
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
So what do theses brands have in common?

Ford, Toyota, Chevrolet, Honda, Nissan, Kia, and Hyundai.
Reeling this in a bit… My point of bringing this up was to address all of the “nobody’s interested in EVs anymore; EVs are piling up on dealers lots” videos.

Instead we’ve devolved into what is or isn’t a brand. , so I’m going to try to pull us back up to the actual discussion.

So, there’s video after video of “EVs are piling up on dealer lots”. Here’s the humorous part of that… The top selling EV brands are Tesla, Chevrolet, and Ford.

Tesla doesn’t have dealerships so where is all this “inventory” piling up? Plus, Tesla sales are up 25.4% 2023 over 2022 on a year-to-date basis. That increase in sales has moved Tesla past Jeep, Subaru and Ram into 8th place in terms of Sales by Brand.

Chevrolet is second in EV sales. Days inventory of Bolt EV (25 days) and Bolt EUV (41 days) are actually lower than the industry recommended 60 days supply. This indicates they are moving off the lots faster than expected.

Ford is third in EV sales. Days inventory of Mach E is ridiculously high, but sales are still close to the same as last year’s sales. In October 2022 Mach E sold 2,849 vehicles. In October 2023 Mach E sold 2,732, so 117 fewer than the year before. So why the huge inventory build? Only Ford knows for sure. Maybe they were planning on a huge spike in sales? Maybe they were preparing for a long strike? Hard to say. Ford does not split sales reporting on the different trim levels of F150, so Lightning sales and inventory are not identifiable.

But at the end of the day, other than Ford Mach E and Ford Lightning, the top selling EVs are up in sales (25% for the highest volume player) and have fast turnover from dealer inventory (Bolt EV and EUV) but videos keep saying “inventory is piling up on dealer lots”. Riiight.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:34 AM   #1353
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Man people were arguing technicalities and I wasn't involved!
You owe me a mousepad. Spit my coffee out all over it. At least I missed my keyboard.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:53 AM   #1354
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
You owe me a mousepad. Spit my coffee out all over it. At least I missed my keyboard.
hahahaha
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 02:57 PM   #1355
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
I think Brand and Division when it comes to car companys like GM the names are interchangeable. The company GM controls the Division/brand.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 03:05 PM   #1356
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=Martinjlm;11380063]

You’d actually be surprised how many people DON’T know that Chevrolet is General Motors or that Cadillac is General Motors.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Its all part of the dumbing down of America. You'd be surprised as to how many think Nissan Honda and Toyota are American companies, and have no clue they are sending their hard earned dollars back to japan each time they purchase one.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:08 PM   #1357
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
I mean, come on man!
The company's top leaders really have their nose to the grindstone! And they're delivering what's wanted!

*the grindstone being (Blackrock) Larry Fink's pelvic tat

workplace type humor
Few want EVs and peeps are getting sick of uglyass SUVs.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:14 PM   #1358
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/s2d8dgZPOYE

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/n3ksiZ9OiKA