Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #1
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
GM Attempting to keep Camaro Buzz alive for 2 years

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...02/1024/EVENTS

People are going to get tired of the overexposure of this car in the media if GM plans on going through with this schedule. Bad strategy.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
link does not work
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Sorry. Here's the article pasted:

Keep Camaro Buzz Alive
Can GM keep the public's interest in this car for two more years?

By RICK KRANZ | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 01/18/07, 2:46 pm et

DETROIT - While sales of the Camaro are at least two years away, Chevrolet kicks off a two-year campaign this spring to generate buzz for the car.

The campaign includes a primary role for the Camaro in an upcoming movie, tie-ins with Major League Baseball, music videos, fashion shows and movie stars, a Web site that will include the words Camaro Nation, and a long list of other activities.

Said General Manager Ed Peper: "We are going to have loads of things going on. My ultimate goal would be to get at least three months' or more worth of orders before we get to build the first one."

Orders will be accepted once prices are announced, sometime near the production of the first model.

Other tie-ins are planned with the Grammy Awards, Country Music Awards and the New Year's Eve celebration Chevrolet sponsors on network TV.

"There is an enormous amount of things that we will try to do in the next two years to keep the buzz going," said Peper.

The Camaro coupe goes on sale in early 2009, followed several months later by the convertible.

A hardcover book that chronicles the car's development will be released when the Camaro goes on sale.

Peper said the new Camaro has a featured role in the science-fiction thriller Transformers, which opens July 4.

Steven Spielberg is the film's executive producer.

"That will be a huge deal for us," Peper said.

"We are going to get a lot of play off that this summer into the early fall."
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
A hardcover book that chronicles the car's development will be released when the Camaro goes on sale.
Something along the lines of 'All Corvettes are Red'
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray200 View Post
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...02/1024/EVENTS

People are going to get tired of the overexposure of this car in the media if GM plans on going through with this schedule. Bad strategy.
Put the pipe down...
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Camaro may lose its buzz by 2009
January 19, 2007

BY KATIE MERX

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Last week's unveiling of the Chevrolet Camaro convertible concept won oohs and aahs that rivaled those for the Camaro coupe concept shown at last year's auto show.

But at least a few analysts and prospective buyers question whether General Motors Corp. can keep the excitement going until the sports car reaches showrooms in 2009.

"The positive buzz in 2009 certainly won't be as intense as when the coupe first rolled out last year," said auto analyst Kevin Tynan of Argus Research in New York. "You even saw it last week. The convertible generated some excitement, but it didn't generate as much buzz as the coupe did last year. ... The response was: 'OK. Just build it already.' "

But GM says it's bringing the car to market on a time line that compares with the time it took to bring the Pontiac Solstice to market from its unveiling as a concept car.

"We've got all kinds of things planned to keep the buzz going," said Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper. "One of them is, it will be the star of the 'Transformers' movie this summer."

Auto analyst Erich Merkle said he believes the Camaro will still be hot in two years.

GM's only mistake with the Camaro was killing it in the first place, he said. "I don't think they'll have any problem generating excitement. God, I love that car."
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post

Auto analyst Erich Merkle said he believes the Camaro will still be hot in two years.

GM's only mistake with the Camaro was killing it in the first place, he said. "I don't think they'll have any problem generating excitement. God, I love that car."
I don't think that proves anything. Being an auto enthusiest I am sure that, like us, much of anything is going to kill this guy's interest in the car. You have to consider the average person who will be buying this car that is not necessarily an enthusiest. Imagine someone going into a dealership after seeing this amazing car in the transformers movie, then seeing it promoted elsewhere ready to buy. They walk in and ask if they have any of the new Camaros on the lot... "I'm sorry sir, the Camaro is not scheduled to come out for another year and a half." Ok, I'll go buy a mustang or Challenger instead.

Not to say that this is going to happen a lot, but I wouldn't be suprised if it does cost them quite a few sales.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
shelbyGT500

Drives: 07 shelby GT-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casull View Post
I don't think that proves anything. Being an auto enthusiest I am sure that, like us, much of anything is going to kill this guy's interest in the car. You have to consider the average person who will be buying this car that is not necessarily an enthusiest. Imagine someone going into a dealership after seeing this amazing car in the transformers movie, then seeing it promoted elsewhere ready to buy. They walk in and ask if they have any of the new Camaros on the lot... "I'm sorry sir, the Camaro is not scheduled to come out for another year and a half." Ok, I'll go buy a mustang or Challenger instead.

Not to say that this is going to happen a lot, but I wouldn't be suprised if it does cost them quite a few sales.
I own a car dealership and i can assure you that the camaro is going to lose alot of sales .Yes some of the enthusiast will hold out for the car but you need to look in the eyes of the general public. When you see something in magazines,movies ,advertising for 2+ years, By the time the car comes out it will have outdated itself.People like the "new look" . Chevrolet is making a huge mistake. It also hurts brand loyalty.Most people who own the current camaro will dispose of it to buy a challenger or or mustang. Its hard to drive the same car for 7 years. When you plan on selling 100,000 cars a year, the last thing you should do is over advertise the car premature. GM is not going to make their $$ by the 5% who are enthusiast and buy the top dog. They plan on making their $$ on the 6cyl cars .. Yes I will wait for it only because i own a shelby, have a challenger on allocation and want to own all 3 modern muscle cars.I am a small collector, There is a big difference ..The average joe will not afford all three, they will go with whats out there "right now" or "soon".For this reason, I think the prolonged wait will actually really help gt 500 sales and the challenger keeping the public paying higher and prolonged premiums . Thanks GM , While your at it why dont you come out with a silverado ss like you said you were going to...........20 years later...........I will also say this,If all three came out around the same time, I can assure you that the "premiums" being paid for these cars would immidiatley disappear.I paid a $18,000 premium for my Shelby.Sucks but i wanted it.
shelbyGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm not sure what you mean by it's hard to drive the same car for seven years...
Look at my Avatar, I've driven the same car for 28 years, obviously I've had a winter and family car, but my Camaro has never lost it's spunk. It's just the spirit of the Car, Man...It's THE CAMARO!

Relax, GM knows what it's doing-they are bringing back the Camaro, you know!
Old 01-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
OverAnxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyGT500 View Post
I own a car dealership and i can assure you that the camaro is going to lose alot of sales .Yes some of the enthusiast will hold out for the car but you need to look in the eyes of the general public. When you see something in magazines,movies ,advertising for 2+ years, By the time the car comes out it will have outdated itself.People like the "new look" . Chevrolet is making a huge mistake. It also hurts brand loyalty.

Most people who own the current camaro will dispose of it to buy a challenger or or mustang. Its hard to drive the same car for 7 years. When you plan on selling 100,000 cars a year, the last thing you should do is over advertise the car premature. GM is not going to make their $$ by the 5% who are enthusiast and buy the top dog. They plan on making their $$ on the 6cyl cars ..

Yes I will wait for it only because i own a shelby, have a challenger on allocation and want to own all 3 modern muscle cars.I am a small collector, There is a big difference ..The average joe will not afford all three, they will go with whats out there "right now" or "soon".For this reason, I think the prolonged wait will actually really help gt 500 sales and the challenger keeping the public paying higher and prolonged premiums . Thanks GM , While your at it why dont you come out with a silverado ss like you said you were going to...........20 years later...........I will also say this,If all three came out around the same time, I can assure you that the "premiums" being paid for these cars would immidiatley disappear.I paid a $18,000 premium for my Shelby.Sucks but i wanted it.

First off, the enter key is your friend

It is obvious there will be some 'lost sales' simply because the Mustang is already available and the Challenger will hit showrooms first, that is a no brainer.

Regarding the new look being outdated - I disagree. GM did this one smart IMO. they took the retro design one step further. The new Camaro isn't as retro as the Mustang for a few reasons. One big one is by the time it hits showrooms, the Mustang will be redesigned a bit, it will have more modern versions of the classic Mustang styling, something GM put a lot of thought into and already has with the Camaro.

Hurts Brand loyalty? That statement makes no sense. Most true Chevy/GM brand loyalists stuck with GM, they found alternative vehicles to roll.

The V6 version of the Camaro will be GMs bread and butter, it always has been and always will be.

20 years later for a Silverado SS? WTF are you talking about? Yes, GM should have had a performance truck to market quicker, but they did it and it runs very well IMO.

Premiums for the first year performance version will not go away, there are select few out there that will always want to spend more than MSRP to be one of the first on the block. Nothing wrong with that, it is the way things are

Provided GM holds true to the recent statement that the V6 Camaro will retail for about $21,000, GM has a winner on their hands. Are they late to the game? That is obvoious, but the Camaro has always outperformed the Mustang even thought it has usually cost a little more, the end up on top when the flag drops

The Mustang styling is great, they are selling alot of cars being the only kid in the ball game, but GM is knocking on the door, when Ford answers they'd better be able to keep up the pace
Old 01-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
to go back to what you said about camaros out performing the mustang. my stock 98 z28 out ran a modded 06 mustang 5.0. so I know first hand they have a lack of performance. why produce a brand new car that can be out classed by an older model that use to compete against it? mustangs just suck they need a supercharger just to compete.

as for the camaro coming out in early 09, yea right. mark my words It will be out no later then mid 08. GM knows what they have in their hands. They aren't going to sit by and do nothing about it. the mules are already on the roads in australia and the plant should be starting to convert over real soon, if it hasn't started already. but only time will tell when this thing will come out. will they lose my sale, Hell no. will they lose some sales, yes.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAnxious View Post
First off, the enter key is your friend

It is obvious there will be some 'lost sales' simply because the Mustang is already available and the Challenger will hit showrooms first, that is a no brainer. Agreed. Some sales will be lost, but it will not be enough to shut down GM.

Regarding the new look being outdated - I disagree. ME TOO. GM did this one smart IMO. they took the retro design one step further. The new Camaro isn't as retro as the Mustang for a few reasons. One big one is by the time it hits showrooms, the Mustang will be redesigned a bit, it will have more modern versions of the classic Mustang styling, something GM put a lot of thought into and already has with the Camaro. Agreed. The designer did an excellent job w/ this Camaro. I think it's the best generation yet. Of course, I still love the 1st gen w/ a passion!

Hurts Brand loyalty? That statement makes no sense. Most true Chevy/GM brand loyalists stuck with GM, they found alternative vehicles to roll. Some people will be discouraged, but a vast majority will stay true to the GM line.

The V6 version of the Camaro will be GMs bread and butter, it always has been and always will be. I'd say a good 66% of Camaros that roll off the line will be V6 models. Especially w/ the high performace bersion coming out, they are going to sell like hotcakes.

20 years later for a Silverado SS? WTF are you talking about? Yes, GM should have had a performance truck to market quicker, but they did it and it runs very well IMO. They should have done something like Ford did w/ the Lightning and Dodge did w/ the SRT 8...was that what it was called? Think it had the Viper V12 in it. GM should have remade a Typhoon or Cyclone and sent that puppy to market. Sure, they made an SS Trailblazer which I won't knock, but it's no Typhoon/Cylcone. They gave this entire area in the market to Ford and Dodge. Now, GM could make a few of these...after all, they could rebadge a Chevy 1500 w/ some sport panels and toss an LS2 in it so they don't have to build an all new truck. Heck, take it one step further and offer something that Ford and Dodge doesn't have.....an LS2 Silverado extended cab w/ 400+ hp. Don't build an "SS" Silverado w/ 340hp and call it an SS....I mean, c'mon..... Do it right and really push the envelope here. Ok, enough ranting here....

Premiums for the first year performance version will not go away, there are select few out there that will always want to spend more than MSRP to be one of the first on the block. Nothing wrong with that, it is the way things are I'll stand by and let them pay to have the first one. Meanwhile, I'll order mine from my current dealer and get a hell of a deal. If not, after selling me 4 cars/trucks, they will lose my business for life. I don't think they will want to do that. I'll get my deal and I'll be happy w/ it.

Provided GM holds true to the recent statement that the V6 Camaro will retail for about $21,000, GM has a winner on their hands. Are they late to the game? That is obvoious, but the Camaro has always outperformed the Mustang even thought it has usually cost a little more, the end up on top when the flag drops Yes sir, they will end up on top. Late to the game as usual, but will end up on top. It's like they wait to see what everyone else does so they can come back and do it better to steal everyones business.....the only problem is that the other two manufacturers are already ahead of the game in sales....

The Mustang styling is great, they are selling alot of cars being the only kid in the ball game, but GM is knocking on the door, when Ford answers they'd better be able to keep up the pace
Ford will try to answer, but GM will have already walked off w/ everyones business. There won't be anyone standing at Fords door....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
shelbyGT500

Drives: 07 shelby GT-500
Well lets see,Up until the gen4 camaros and not until 98 i might add, chevy has NEVER been on top of the sports car /muscle car wars.

60s was dodge one word HEMI
70s was mixed bag of nuts.
80s was ford dont even try to tell me that the irocs could hang with 5.0s.
90s was ford. When svt was introduced, they never looked back.Camaros were always heavier.Hopefully they are smarter this time.The new mustang is a tank.Ford did not need a supercharger on the 93-95 lightning and was 100 ci smaller and stil competed with the 454ss and was a drivers race.Not that it matters but the lightning outhandled the 454ss by um........alot

yes chevy had the great ones here and there but they were never on top.

if you remember correctley in the 80s ford 5.0s were a much closer to the "corvette" flagship car than any z28 camaro at the strip (street cars)The z28s (irocs) were not even close to comparison for 15 years!!!!.....fact

svt cobra from 93-to current were always faster stock for stock. (street cars)I know you might say well gm didnt have a svt program but thats too bad.They had their choices.Top line to top line.Chevy has always been beat.Corvette is the exception.But you all know thats not in the same class.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Regarding the new look being outdated - I disagree. GM did this one smart IMO. they took the retro design one step further. The new Camaro isn't as retro as the Mustang for a few reasons. One big one is by the time it hits showrooms, the Mustang will be redesigned a bit, it will have more modern versions of the classic Mustang styling, something GM put a lot of thought into and already has with the Camaro."

"

Most people these days do not keep a car for 7 years before getting rid of it.Yes , some might keep their weekend car for 30 years but thats not what we are talking about here.We are talking about the "general public" NOT ENTHUSIAST.

If you are a potential "sport coupe buyer" and currently have a camaro and its time to trade, statistics will tell you that you will not wait for the new camaro .You will buy a mustang or similar.Only enthusiast will sit and talk about a car for 2 years and patiently wait for it like all of us! The general public wakes up decides to trade in the car today and goes to the dealership.If GM or any company payed most attention to its enthusiast and not the general public, they would be broke by now.

Also, dont misunderstand me. Why do you think the first year of any given new production vehicle has the most gross profit margin per vehicle ??? because everybody wants them and is willing to pay for it without rebates and discounts .Once the "newness" wears off,It is down to the pure essentials of the car which will make it a sucess or a flop.

I never said it wasnt a modern outdated design.What i said is by the time people can buy the car, they will have seen so many pictures of the car it will seem like old news.Thats all

I have no idea how the camaro will do long term but its been proven in statistics that when you prematurly announce a car, people actually get sick of waiting and decide to buy something else.These are studied statistics, not my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Mustang styling is great, they are selling alot of cars being the only kid in the ball game, but GM is knocking on the door, when Ford answers they'd better be able to keep up the pace "

To this I laugh out loud. Fact, Ford has been on top and probally will continue.YOu are basing your opinions on what you THINK chevy MIGHT DO.Im stating facts on what Ford HAS DONE. Chevy has not even told you what motor is going in this camaro..........
cobra 360ho......
lightning 380hp
shelby gt500.....500hp
shelby gt 325hp

Chevy needs to answer not Ford.........................Ford has already proved itself.Chevy needs to put their motor where your mouth is.....LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------

also, I didnt need to be the first on the block with a shelby gt 500. Ford is so secrative about how many they are actually making and how many years,I didnt want to be left behind.Thats why i paid a premium. I will wait on the camaro because like the regular mustang, it will probally be around for a while.I dont need the top dog limited SS Z28 camaro, Just the biggest they make in high production.My collection is mostly SVT anyway.I just want to have the new 3 .Just like the challenger.I will buy a hemi car but it wont have to be the 600hpo version if they just make one with the current 425 one.425 will be fine.
shelbyGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #14
OverAnxious

Damn, you are long winded - you need to re-format that reply, I can't tell old replies from your reply

in the sixties, the BBC Camaros beat the Hemis on the street, dad lived that era and sent quite a few packing.

The Eighties, the 5.7l Camaro beat the 5.0L Mustang flat out. The only thing Ford had goiing for them was the bang for the buck with the 5.0L LX cars.
When the flag dropped the Camaro was out front.

Trucks? Different conversation entirely. GM felt a need to stay out of the performace truck market for some reason, that didn't seem to hurt sales any. Silverado/Sierra sales have been all over the F150 for years. Talk is with the GMT900 trucks, Chevy will out sell Ford alone, time will tell if that comes true or not.

Regarding the Ford GM comment in the last paragraph - HP numbers are one thing, You sound like a Ford purist so it is hard to swallow. The GM motors have outperformed the Ford motors in the Pony car wars. It was that way with the 3rd Gen Camaros and again with the 4th Gen, I have no doubt the 5th Gen will be the very same way.