Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-13-2015, 03:33 AM   #1
ZeuSS2011

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS / Black 2013 ZL1
Something Unexpected

Went for a drive the other day in the wife's '13 ZL1 and I notice, through the rear view mirror, that there's this black car weaving in and out of traffic trying to catch up to us. I can see that it's a mustang and I figure that he's going to showboat once he pulls alongside . Instead he sticks his arm out and gives us a thumbs up. Wasn't what I expected. Been driving a camaro since 2011 and never had another camaro driver even look my way much less wave or give a thumbs up.

ZeuSS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
SunnySideUpII

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Bright Yellow
Are you sure it's his thumb?

Lol, just kidding buddy. Nice one!

Should post this on a Mustang forum.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
There are still a few "car guys" out there. Seems most just like their make. I like some fords, some Chevys, and some dodges. I like certain models, not certain makes.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #4
leggettjd

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I like all makes and models. Pretty much like anything with an engine. I am not a fan-boy on one brand or another. Just have a sweet spot for fast and loud vehicles.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
Ayup. There's a Boss 302 driver near me, and we give each other a thumbs up whenever we see each other, as do the local 1LE owner and I. There's a guy who drives a '62 'vette hardtop near me, and we wave whenever we see each other.

There's always folks who look at a particular vehicle or brand as some sort of tribe, then there's people who just like cars, recognize a cool one, and enjoy bsing with others who do as well.

I'm one of the latter, and will give a thumbs up or a wave to anyone driving something interesting and cool, particularly if they've taken the effort to mod it more to their taste.

I've not seen a ZL1, nor a Z28 in the wild yet, but should I then hopefully the person driving it will open to some conversation.
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I've owned nothing but GM for the past 45 years, I went to a wedding over the weekend at Henry Ford Museum and thought I would catch on fire. LOL ...
Old 10-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #7
1troyd23

Drives: ZL1
That is a very cool story ! I had an experience a couple of months ago, I was driving down the freeway in my 2015 ZL1 minding my own business with my wife and young daughter in the car. What do I see coming full steam ahead in my rear view mirror ? Some jerk off in a black Z06..he pulls up next to me and revs it up really good and then takes off...Then he waits for me to catch up again and does it all over, but this time he takes off for good. Mind you I only had 200 miles on my car and my family in the car as well.. The moral of the story is ...Yes there are still "car" guys out there that will pay you respect no matter what make or model...But there will always be a jerk off or two as well !!! Lol
1troyd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
WookiesZL1

Drives: 13 ZL1 Vert M6
Usally it is the dodge drivers that i witness acting like fools but this last Saturday I had a SS and ZL1 that did the old pull up next,take off and let me catch up routine on a busy public road. Happened on M53 going south,funny thing looks like they both came just from Ubley track,had the bracket numbers on windows still. The SS had open exhaust or noweeds though which made it more annoying.
WookiesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WookiesZL1 View Post
Usually it is the dodge drivers that i witness acting like fools but this last Saturday I had a SS and ZL1 that did the old pull up next,take off and let me catch up routine on a busy public road. Happened on M53 going south,funny thing looks like they both came just from Ubley track,had the bracket numbers on windows still. The SS had open exhaust or noweeds though which made it more annoying.
When I had my ZL1, I had an idiot in an SRT8 do that kind of crap in traffic. But there are idiots in all brands and I'm even sure a few drive a ZL1.

Like Forrest Gump said, 'Stupid is as Stupid does.'

I've had 'car guys' in all brands give me thumbs up over the years and of course a few idiots do the stupid stuff.

Some people are just, well, stupid. Sounds like the Mustang guy is a true car guy.

I enjoyed your post.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
CurtiSSWatson

Drives: Black SS
I always get thumbs ups or waves from Camaro drivers. Mustangs sometime. Corvettes too, even had an older guy in a new C7 Z06 at a red light take off expecting me to race from the light lol. My car is pretty loud, so I get the mutual respect from "car guys"
CurtiSSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
I had 2 kids in a beat up VW the other day doing the exact same thing. I saw them in my rearview weaving in and out of traffic and I could hear his fart can exhaust a mile away and I thought for sure they were gonna want to race. He got up next to me and yelled nice car and gave me a thumbs up. I was blown away.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:41 PM   #12
1troyd23

Drives: ZL1
Yeah, I was a little blown away since they guy had a Z06, another GM product, I thought maybe he was gonna give respect knowing he still had a faster car, but he acted like a jerk. I told my wife that I was surprised since he was in a Chevy..I try to pay respect to all American muscle cars new and old.
1troyd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #13
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
$$$ doesn't buy class
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #14
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Nice you can tell hes a real car guy, not some idiot who only likes a certain brand... Can't stand these fake cars guys who only like camaro's or mustang's or what ever.. So many nice cars out there! Domestic, exotic, foreign, doesn't matter a real car guy will respect any fast/nice looking car.

I'm shocked you don't get more thumbs up in your Z, I get them quite often from from all sorts of people in different cars. And I always give a thumbs up or tell some one they have a nice car If I'm next to them.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote