Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-09-2020, 10:37 PM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
To NGauge or not to NGauge that is the question

I am wanting to learn how to tune and I am going to get an HP tuner. I also like the NGauge. Right now all I have is headers and a CAI (I also have NOS but don’t use it). I want to learn how to tune while I am still basic. My build plan includes a stage 2 cam and a blower. By the time I add those I want to have some experience.

Question is, will I benefit from the NGauge or will it tell me a bunch of information I won’t make much sense of. OR will it be a great learning tool and advance my learning curve?

Side question: you can leave the NGauge plugged in all the time...right? I had a Diablo that if you left it plugged in would heat up to roughly the surface temperature of the sun.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
The Ngauge reads from the OBD II port so it can show whatever parameters your ECU will output such as temp, oil pressure, AIT, etc.

I don't see it as a learning tool, just a way to monitor multiple parameters without having to use several gauges. You can also set it up so you can be alerted via colors. E.G. you can set your oil pressure to show a red background until it gets to a certain temp, then it can change to green. If it gets too hot you can have it go red again, or blue, or yellow or whatever colors it offers. It has LEDs also you can use as a shift light as well although I found it wasn't very bright for daytime use and a dedicated shift lift worked much better.

You can leave it plugged in all the time.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
The Ngauge reads from the OBD II port so it can show whatever parameters your ECU will output such as temp, oil pressure, AIT, etc.

I don't see it as a learning tool, just a way to monitor multiple parameters without having to use several gauges. You can also set it up so you can be alerted via colors. E.G. you can set your oil pressure to show a red background until it gets to a certain temp, then it can change to green. If it gets too hot you can have it go red again, or blue, or yellow or whatever colors it offers. It has LEDs also you can use as a shift light as well although I found it wasn't very bright for daytime use and a dedicated shift lift worked much better.

You can leave it plugged in all the time.
This helps. The NGauge is not what I am looking for right now. Since it seems like ATF ratio is a good entry level indicator for getting into tuning, I may be leaning towards buying from Scroggins who includes a ATF gauge in the HP VCM suite package.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #4
blake-b

Do you mean AFR and not ATF? When I see ATF, I think automatic transmission fluid. haha

I only use the Ngauge as a gauge. I do not tune with it. I like the 6 parameter display where I monitor AFR (in lambda), oil pressure, n20 bottle pressure, boost, coolant, and RPMs. I find looking at the Ngauge is faster for me than looking at the tach for RPMs.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #5
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

I am thinking the NGauge will be better for me once I have done a few more installs.

ATF could have also been Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. In my line of work all three could be possible to work into a conversation.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
blake-b

In my line of work, I am using to seeing BATF....