Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 01-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
bbqz28

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS

I want that same car but with a hardtop and black interior.

2001 Camaro SS #0184 NBM 6M
MTI Lid | Ported tb | SW Longtubes | ORY | Borla CB | Gomer tune | 18# flywheel | Monster clutch | 4.11's - 340.5rwhp/349.8rwtq - 13.04/109.38
(et and dyno #'s w/ lid, Borla & tune)
bbqz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
IToldYouSo
Banned

Drives: 2005 corvette z51
i like the 2 tone leather. its good to see gm doing something a little more "in your face" than just stickin to the plain old stuff. the painted lip of the rim is a very nice touch. that colors not too bad looking either and it looks sweet with the stripes.
IToldYouSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #17
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Concept - Auto Shows
Well, whaddya know? After last year's Camaro Coupe concept, along comes the convertible.
BY HOWARD WALKER, December 2006

It didn’t take a rocket scientist, or the brain power of that guy who kept winning Jeopardy, to deduce that GM would follow-up its much-praised Chevy Camaro Coupe concept with a ragtop version.

The production Camaro is still more than a year away, so to keep interest in the company’s pony car strong, this drop-top concept will take center stage on GM’s Texas-sized display at the Detroit auto show.

To our eyes, chopping the top makes the Camaro look even more smokin’ than before. While the coupe was cool, this has cruisin’ down Pacific Coast Highway written all over it. You can bet GM CEO Rick Wagoner already has the keys for next summer’s Woodward Dream Cruise.

2007 North American International Auto Show Coverage

The conversion from coupe to convertible may look like a simple chop-job, it involved modifying most of the bodywork aft of the doors so as to make space for a folding roof. The windshield was also re-jigged—it’s higher in the middle and lower at the corners—and features a shiny billet-aluminum frame.

Designer Brian Smith says he envisages a simple cloth top with a glass rear window and small quarter side-glasses. But, for the concept, there’s no actual top beneath that leather-covered, rear-hinged hard tonneau, so bring your rain poncho.

To tie-in with the original ’69 Camaro convertible, the concept gets a paint job in eye-poppin’ Hugger Orange pearl tri-coat with twin gunmetal-gray stripes. Check out the thin, orange pin-striping around the rims of the wheels to echo the look of the old Redline tires.

Inside, there’s a new black and white color scheme. The seats are trimmed in Saturday Night Fever-style white leather with white Alcantara faux-suede inserts, while the instruments get new white faces with cool blue neon rings. Interior designer Micah Jones had to rework the rear seats to make room for the top folding mechanism, which meant ditching the rear section of the center console from last year’s coupe concept.

Apart from those show-car 20-inch front and 21-inch rear wheels and some embellished trim and interior bits, what you see here is pretty much what you’ll get when the Camaro convertible hits showrooms in 2010, a year after the coupe. Those who’ve seen the production versions in the hallowed halls of GM Design say both coupe and convertible stay amazingly true to the concepts.

Under the skin, the new Camaro will ride on a version of GM’s Global Rear Drive platform—known internally as Zeta—developed by GM’s Aussie Holden division. It features a four-link independent rear end which should give the Camaro a handling edge over the live-axle Mustang. Expect V-6 and V-8 power and a starting price around $25k. We’re drooling already.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #18
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Attached Images

Old 01-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #19
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Name:  112_news070104_08z+chevrolet_camaro_convertible_concept+interior_top_view.jpg
Views: 55373
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  112_news070104_09z+chevrolet_camaro_convertible_concept+steering_wheel.jpg
Views: 80193
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  112_news070104_10z+chevrolet_camaro_convertible_concept+gauges.jpg
Views: 55451
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  112_news070104_11z+chevrolet_camaro_convertible_concept+center_console.jpg
Views: 52842
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  112_news070104_12z+chevrolet_camaro_convertible_concept+center_console_gauges.jpg
Views: 53202
Size:  46.5 KB

Chevrolet Camaro Convertible Concept: Hip, Hugger for Detroit show is necessary step for Chevy

By Todd Lassa

Photography by David Freers, GM Media Archive

If showing a Camaro convertible concept at the 2007 Detroit show seems obvious, that's only from your armchair.

It may not be so obvious as it is necessary. Chevy will launch the Camaro coupe in late 2008 as a 2009 model; then to battle the other Ford Mustang body style, it'll launch the Camaro convertible about spring of 2009.

As the concept makes the rounds of car shows following its Detroit debut, GM Australia ishard at work on the production car. Expect thicker sills and tunnels and added cross-bracing to give the convertible's unibody coupelike stiffness.

The convertible concept has charcoal SS stripes over a lustrous Hugger orange paint job-the stripes are so dark they appear black under certain light. You might think of the 1969 Camaro RS/SS Indy 500 official pace car, which has orange stripes on a white body.

The two back seats are about six inches closer together to make room for the tonneau cover. As in last year's coupe, the front seat tracks are on the center console and on the rocker panels instead of the floor for better rear-seat foot space. Circular gauges in square frames seem certain for production. The large, round gauges now are white-faced, with black chrome numbers and a red anodized needle, for more clarity, versus the coupe's turned-aluminum face with chrome numbers.

There's a blue glow circling the convertible's gauges, and the only reference inside to the orange paint is the seat stitching. The deep-dish three-spoke steering wheel and Rallye Pack-inspired four-pack gauge cluster at the base of the floor console, fortunately, return. The six-speed manual's gearshift looks like a piece of sculpture, and the chromeseatbelt buckles are designed to look like the iconic belt buckles in late 1960s GM cars.

The convertible concept has last year's ram-air 6.0-liter LS2 engine, rated 400 horsepower and with Active Displacement Management and an exhaust note that makes a sensuous, throaty burble. Built on the next-generation Holden/ Zeta architecture, the car has independent rear suspension. It's likely the base engine will be the DOHC 3.6-liter V-6, not the 3.9-liter pushrod V-6.

The best news is, size the tires down to a "normal" 18 or 19 inches, and you're looking at the convertible you're likely to find in dealerships in 2009. Stay tuned for our full story on the Camaro Convertible concept coming soon to MotorTrend.com and the upcoming March issue of Motor Trend.

CAMARO CONVERTIBLE CONCEPT DESIGN DETAILS

Tonneau cover over the folded top
"Halo" headlamps
LED taillamps
Rear spoiler with LED-lit CHMSL
Racing-inspired fuel filler door
Front-inlet hood scoop, inspired by the Corvette Z06
Heritage-inspired rear fender "gills"
Anodized aluminum door handles
21-inch (front) and 22-inch (rear) wheels, with accent color

CAMARO CONVERTIBLE CONCEPT SPECIFICATIONS

Vehicle type: two-door, four-passenger rear-wheel-drive convertible
Wheelbase (in / mm): 110.5 / 2806
Length (in / mm): 186.2 / 4730
Width (in / mm): 79.6 / 2022
Height (in / mm): 53 / 1344
Track (in / mm): 63.8 / 1620 front; 63.3 / 1607 rear
Powertrain: V-8 engine with manual transmission
Suspension: four-wheel independent: MacPherson strut front, multilink rear, progressive rate coil springs, gas-pressurized dampers
Brakes: four-wheel disc, 14-in rotors with four-piston calipers
Wheels: cast aluminum; 21-in front, 22-in rear
Tires: 275/30R21 front, 305/30R22 rear
Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #20
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
My blog is updated. This is exciting
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #21
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
borbgobvdfvbfdbsbfvfvff!!!!!!!...please excuse me. :o

I just had an accident seeing the pics., and I have to go change my pants.

Words don't do it justice....

Thank you Chevrolet!!!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #22
maro&bird

Drives: ls3 ss
awsome

i'm new here ... technically visiting from a long time as a guest ... but had to join this .. DID ANYBODY GET GOOSE PUMPS AFTER LOOKING AT THIS CAR . . I DID
they have to make this car right in all aspects
maro&bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #23
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
I'm in love.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #24
matthewmiller01

Drives: 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
I have never wanted a convertible, but it does look amazing! I have to ask the obvious question (we all know the answer and I think we all want it to be a different one). Has it been officially put out that it is going to be a soft top (not a removable or power hardtop)? If it was in the article and I missed it, I apologize. If it were available in one of the hardtop options, I'd think I'd have a change of heart and go for the convertible.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #25
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
I've wanted a convertible since day one.
I can't see a hard top option on the Camaro, but you never know
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #26
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
'Matthewmiller01', it'll be a soft-top - weight.

GM really "has it going" with their styling now.

First the Camaro, then I hear the new Cadillac CTS is nice, (and a coupe CTS too?! ), and the new Malibu is very nice looking as well. Oh! Forgot the new Silverado!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 AM   #27
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
My God. I am in awe. I was kind of speechless the first time around and didn't know where to begin. I just left it at that.

Love what they have done. Just love it. Love the color matching dash. Love the circular blue dash lights. Love the two tone seats w/ matching piping. Love the seat belts ( I mean...c'mon!). Love the temp gauge, direction heading, etc. This is all coming together so well! I too, would take a hard top, but those above say that will not be happening. GM hasn't officially announced it (give it a couple days and they will verify) but it's gonna be a soft top. That's the sad part for me. I won't buy a soft top. It's either a coupe or hard top vert.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 AM   #28
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Just like the coupe was better in person, this will be amazing in person!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote