Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-30-2023, 04:45 PM   #1
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
Magnusson 2650 Supercharger EO #

So some exciting news on the Magnusson ZL1 supercharger kit. It’s finally got an EO #. It’s funny no headline on their site or even mention of it being smog legal! Just the most important item the EO#! Downside for me is that I checked the ARB.parts site for the letter, it’s there but it excludes 2023…… waiting for a response from Magnusson.
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:45 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Note that you will need to run their canned tune to remain CARB compliant, sacrificing some of the power potential.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:49 PM   #3
Camfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Note that you will need to run their canned tune to remain CARB compliant, sacrificing some of the power potential.
Yeah I’m aware of that, and I’m not certain it’s enough power, lol. With all of that, I think the real benefit, if what I’ve read is true, is that it doesn’t heat soak like the OEM unit. My car has virtually no miles on it, but shortly I’m going to make a decision . I’ve literally driven the car three times. The day I drove it home from the dealer. The day was very cold (for SoCal) and even though I cruised the car home, it felt like it just wanted to run out of its skin. The third time I drove it around the block a few times to charge the battery it was hot, the car felt sluggish, again I was not on it, but the difference was very noticeable.
Anyway it would be nice to have a CARB legal option for the car. I’ve lived a life of constantly dealing with the stress of having a car that wasn’t actually smog legal by the book. I’m over it.
It’d be great to drive an exact car like mine with zero changes other than the Maggie, just to compare. I mean really who does that, at any other point in my life I’d be going full bank account depletion mode
Old 10-30-2023, 09:56 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Yeah I’m aware of that, and I’m not certain it’s enough power, lol. With all of that, I think the real benefit, if what I’ve read is true, is that it doesn’t heat soak like the OEM unit. My car has virtually no miles on it, but shortly I’m going to make a decision . I’ve literally driven the car three times. The day I drove it home from the dealer. The day was very cold (for SoCal) and even though I cruised the car home, it felt like it just wanted to run out of its skin. The third time I drove it around the block a few times to charge the battery it was hot, the car felt sluggish, again I was not on it, but the difference was very noticeable.
Anyway it would be nice to have a CARB legal option for the car. I’ve lived a life of constantly dealing with the stress of having a car that wasn’t actually smog legal by the book. I’m over it.
It’d be great to drive an exact car like mine with zero changes other than the Maggie, just to compare. I mean really who does that, at any other point in my life I’d be going full bank account depletion mode
Having lived in NJ for quite a while, I understand ,it's nice to have peace of mind.

I will say, however, that ZL1 owners here don't typically complain about supercharger heat soak and performance loss unless air is trapped in the stock S/C cooling circuit. A bit of burping then return the car to full performance (there are several threads about this here in the ZL1 section). Many also install an overflow tank similar to the normal engine cooling system to avoid air bubbles down the road. Sure, the Maggie is way more efficient and less prone to heat issues, but you definitely won't be driving it hard enough with the canned tune to be in the meat of its efficiency band.

Anyway, I hope everything turns out fine, the unit itself, the installation and the tune, and then you can actually enjoy the car. And yeah, bank account depletion mode is real (sigh)

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:17 PM   #5
Camfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Having lived in NJ for quite a while, I understand ,it's nice to have peace of mind.

I will say, however, that ZL1 owners here don't typically complain about supercharger heat soak and performance loss unless air is trapped in the stock S/C cooling circuit. A bit of burping then return the car to full performance (there are several threads about this here in the ZL1 section). Many also install an overflow tank similar to the normal engine cooling system to avoid air bubbles down the road. Sure, the Maggie is way more efficient and less prone to heat issues, but you definitely won't be driving it hard enough with the canned tune to be in the meat of its efficiency band.

Anyway, I hope everything turns out fine, the unit itself, the installation and the tune, and then you can actually enjoy the car. And yeah, bank account depletion mode is real (sigh)
Honestly I don’t think it’s a burping issue, I think it’s how forced induction cars tend to be more temp sensitive than their N/A counter parts. Cold nights they are wicked, hot days not so much. My issue really is a bigger one lol. I love to build cars, my passion is fabrication, and I promised myself I’d leave it alone. Now I’m starting to obsess about building it. Is there as such thing as Motorholics Annoymous, I may have to sell this car….. I should take the fact that it’s not CARB legal for ‘23 as a sign.

Last edited by Camfab; 10-31-2023 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:06 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
They've had the EO since the 10th, and made an electronic announcement last week, finally.

I've been told the stickers should be shipped out pretty soon, but I'll be keeping an eye out.

It seems, for the few that have been tested/posted, dynos' can show (a few that I know of) for a car that starts around 575, that the CARB tune is good for up to about 640-650 (I've seen a little higher even) completely CARB-compliant (not SAE, but areas that I understand to be about sea level and typically in the 70's, so not a lot of correction).

The only problem, IMO, is the TCM was holding the car back with Maggie's tune, which I don't hold them accountable for. I was seeing a good amount to TQ at the 2-3 shift, but that's fixable with a TCM-unlock now, and again - not something Magnuson can account for. It cleared up after the shift, but I think I can hear it on the Escalade Vs, too, lol.

IMO - it's a great kit, that doesn't require modifications to the car, except the valve covers, and who cares?...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 07:28 AM   #7
BMLMZ

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Their canned tune was HORRIBLE. Rich as shit. My car made just over 600rwhp with that tune on a 90mm pulley with an otherwise stock ZL1. It was a dog, and completely defeated the point of the $12k worth of parts and labor I just put into it. You should not run that tune. I went with Ted to retune it and even conservatively, it picked up almost 100hp to the wheels from him just making some tweaks and leaning it out a bit for 93. What a crock of shit that tune was.
BMLMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 08:09 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Well - they have to make a tune to cover a high range of cars, and no two cars are the same, so that's just something that happens. Unfortunately - some people don't have the freedom to do what you did, or to take the chance of running any tune outside of what Magnuson provides.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 10-31-2023, 08:28 AM   #9
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Does anyone have their tune available for download? I'd like to look it over and compare it to the tune currently in my car.
NG329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:51 AM   #10
BMLMZ

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Well - they have to make a tune to cover a high range of cars, and no two cars are the same, so that's just something that happens. Unfortunately - some people don't have the freedom to do what you did, or to take the chance of running any tune outside of what Magnuson provides.
Then at that power level it’s a massive not worth it money wise move.
BMLMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 12:11 PM   #11
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Subscribed
Old 10-31-2023, 01:45 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLMZ View Post
That was your case. Not every car dyno'd that way.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 10-31-2023, 01:53 PM   #13
Camfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLMZ View Post
So are you saying, it essentially is worse than stock? What I don’t understand is variance between cars. I would understand variance when a car is not 100% stock. The more I read the numbers, it makes no sense to me, in your example your saying on your 100% stock car the car is at 700 with a mild tune and no other mods, yet it was below 600 on the canned tune. I see other people’s signature making 40-50hp more with the addition of a cam and headers etc. something is not adding up.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:28 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Cars, dynos, how cars are strapped down, SAE or not, Dynojet or Mustang-types - the variances go on and on. What I would look for are comparisons in improvements, on the same dyno, under similar conditions, etc. Do a baseline and post-install on the same dyno, same strapping, same conditions (or use SAE), etc. These cars dyno as low as 520s and as much as 590, depending on all those, and more factors.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"