Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
xshortd

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Rally Strips preparation

Hey guys I have a 2lt and I got it without the stripes, now it seems like a cool addition and I would like to have them put on. Im going to order them but i was wondering what type of preparation I should do prior to installing the stripes.

originally i was going to clay bar my entire car and then wax it, after that I will put the stripes on. Is this what i should follow?
xshortd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshortd View Post
Hey guys I have a 2lt and I got it without the stripes, now it seems like a cool addition and I would like to have them put on. Im going to order them but i was wondering what type of preparation I should do prior to installing the stripes.

originally i was going to clay bar my entire car and then wax it, after that I will put the stripes on. Is this what i should follow?
Just don't wax the sections the stripes will be on. The wax will prevent the stripes from getting a good adhesion. Like if the stripes are going on just the hood and trunk lid, you can wax the whole car except the hood and trunk lid.

Also be aware that the lubricate the installer uses to apply the stripes might remove the wax on nearby sections of the car (the fenders and nose) you just put on.

If the installation is within a few days I wouldn't bother waxing the car at all but if it will be a month or longer then go ahead and wax the whole car and rewax after the stripes are applied.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Wash it with Dawn. Then wipe it down multiple times with rubbing alcohol.

Not an easy install, best done by someone that has done many. After they've screwed up 10 - 20 sets, then perfected their technique, then let them have a crack at your car.

If you can find someone at a dealer to install them - if installed at a dealer then they are under warranty for 3yrs with the rest of the car. Not dealer installed - only a 12 month warranty and they will probably blame any problems on the install.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
xshortd

well i was thinking of installing them myself-- ive never done them myself so do you guys recommend doing it myself, us trying to save some money the videos looked easy on doing the install
Old 04-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Steeler NY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM Vert
Consider getting them painted on.
Steeler NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
xshortd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler NY View Post
Consider getting them painted on.
do you know how much it would cost
Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
emin7
1st State C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro SIM 2LT/RS
get it professionally done, wayy to many things can go wrong:

-air bubbles
-car prep
-edges peeling
-not positioned 100% correctly

paint will cost well over $1500
Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
biojack

Drives: 1LT/RS,MRTv2, Injen
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshortd View Post
well i was thinking of installing them myself-- ive never done them myself so do you guys recommend doing it myself, us trying to save some money the videos looked easy on doing the install

Dude, let the pros put it on for 75 bucks or so....
biojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
NoDak Scotty

Drives: Suburban/Z-71 CrewCab/1972 442 vert
Dude, let the man do it...the video looks easy 'cause the man has done it so many times...spend the cash and get it done right.
NoDak Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
do it yourself and it will wind up costing you a lot more than having a pro do it.
if i had it to do over,i would pay the extra money and have them painted on.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
rjcamaro
312 HP

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Just go to the drug store and buy a bottle of Isopropyl alcohol and wipe down the area. Then use a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dishwashing soap. Spray down the area and the back side of the stripe. Then spray the top of the stripe.

Just did mine, now having said this and I'm no expert either but have done stripes before I was not happy with one of the stripes and ended up ordering another set since I couldn't buy just one. This time it came out perfect.

So the risk is you might end up buyer another set. Measure this cost against having an expert do it right the first time.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
cuspid

Drives: 04 z06 yellow
youtube.com has a install video.If you do it yourself I would get some 3 inch painters tape to get your spacing right. It helped alot. Buy a cheap set first and start on the rear. I like the 3m brand best
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote