The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Have you checked with a shipper to overseas ports?

You have identified the reason for the rule: a $51,900 vehicle would be $75,500, which could mean nothing more than it costs $23,600 to put the car on a boat. Seems like an outrageous charge to me just to sail a boat with your car across the ocean(s).

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
Sal82

Drives: 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Have you checked with a shipper to overseas ports?

You have identified the reason for the rule: a $51,900 vehicle would be $75,500, which could mean nothing more than it costs $23,600 to put the car on a boat. Seems like an outrageous charge to me just to sail a boat with your car across the ocean(s).

Laborsmith
The cost to ship it in a container is roughly $3500 not including insurance. They just like to jack up the prices here because they know people have the money.

Anyways, just got off the phone with corporate and they have confirmed the c7 can not be exported for private use after delivery.
Sal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
That restriction/actual cost matches my memory for situations like this although at least in the past US military (of a certain rank) could and often did have personal vehicles accompany them to an overseas assignment and it did not make a difference if the vehicle was a day or a decade old. I suspect that is still true.

Of course the vehicle is titled in their name and has to be for a certain amount of time (say, a year) up to the duration of the assignment. Not particularly relevant, but the insurer is often Lloyds of London. Yes, that Lloyds.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote