Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #1
Agicon1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
2010 Camaro SS help

I have a 2010 Camaro SS longtube headers and cold air intake tuned and raced my friends G8 and had the same thing and he beat me by 2 cars and I just got a cam today and raced him again and he still beat me whys that?
Agicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
Driver?
Really don't have the whole picture here.
Your mods vs his? Auto, stick? Gt or gxp?
Tires, tuning, track, street, dig or roll?
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #3
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
His car is faster....jk
Old 11-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
LastGen5
Manual Guy - Until Now...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Never underestimate the tune!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #5
Agicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
Driver?
Really don't have the whole picture here.
Your mods vs his? Auto, stick? Gt or gxp?
Tires, tuning, track, street, dig or roll?
My car has Nitto NT555 G2 rear tires on stock 20s rims my car is automatic... when I picked up my car the tuner wasn't there and I called him asking him how much did I gain and he didn't have a number for me and told me to come back on Friday to do the tune in front of me and I asked his workers if he Dyno tuned it and they said no he didn't but I did have a tune before I got the camshaft done
My mods
-Longtubes
-camshaft
-K&N Intake
His car has normal tires that come stock and it's automatic and it's a GT
G8 GT Mods
-Longtube headers
-Vararam Intake
-Tune
It was on the street and we raced on a Dig
Old 11-12-2016, 02:02 AM   #6
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
wait you're not tuned for the cam in your car? you should not be driving it let alone racing it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
Agicon1

So what I do I paid for a Dyno tune but they didn't do it
Old 11-12-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
MR 8 posts in California you have long tubes and a tune and cammed in CAL, how interesting you must know big stars like Shrek. Your fat in Camaro with more weight, your friend may just drive better and put the power to the ground, it sounds more like your not tuned well, I guess your trying to ruin your engine first thing, and you most likely don't have a torque converter for the cam either, and you yes should not have even driven it with out tuning it, tuning it costs for most $500 range for a dyno tune with HP tuning by a long time performance shop, a shop that you can trust changing the shift points in the tune was most likely done already but who knows what your torque management setting is, your AFR now and your total and initial advance and Idle which cammed should mostly be in the 950 range way up....... If you screw around enough on a untuned Joy Ride for that cam /engine who knows what carnage you could do, hopefully Knock Retard would save your bacon killing timing massively as its most likely what your up against. Or he just stuck a generic tune in for now from his library of tunes saved if he is a long time tuner, as a tune just for headers and intake is very different than cammed you may be limping by on it waiting fine tuning, and above all get it tuned ASAP is all I can say. Insist on them tuning it ASAP as your not in a position to rely on what tune you have.

Most limp a car to a tuner to get tuned after a cam install taking it easy on it, sure you may have a 160 degree thermostat and fans set to cooler but your stock cams tune will not be optimal for another cam and way off most likely as our stock cams specs and a performance cam are vastly different in LSA, lift, and Duration.

Last edited by christianchevell; 11-12-2016 at 08:45 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
Agicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
MR 8 posts in California you have long tubes and a tune and cammed in CAL, how interesting you must know big stars like Shrek. Your fat in Camaro with more weight, your friend may just drive better and put the power to the ground, it sounds more like your not tuned well, I guess your trying to ruin your engine first thing, and you most likely don't have a torque converter for the cam either, and you yes should not have even driven it with out tuning it, tuning it costs for most $500 range for a dyno tune with HP tuning by a long time performance shop, a shop that you can trust changing the shift points in the tune was most likely done already but who knows what your torque management setting is, your AFR now and your total and initial advance and Idle which cammed should mostly be in the 950 range way up....... If you screw around enough on a untuned Joy Ride for that cam /engine who knows what carnage you could do, hopefully Knock Retard would save your bacon killing timing massively as its most likely what your up against. Or he just stuck a generic tune in for now from his library of tunes saved if he is a long time tuner, as a tune just for headers and intake is very different than cammed you may be limping by on it waiting fine tuning, and above all get it tuned ASAP is all I can say. Insist on them tuning it ASAP as your not in a position to rely on what tune you have.

Most limp a car to a tuner to get tuned after a cam install taking it easy on it, sure you may have a 160 degree thermostat and fans set to cooler but your stock cams tune will not be optimal for another cam and way off most likely as our stock cams specs and a performance cam are vastly different in LSA, lift, and Duration.

Yes he is a longtime tuner I think he did put a tune for now from his library is that bad? I don't got check engine lights on or anything but when I drive it when I brake it kicks then it stops he just never ran it on the dyno or changed my gears or anything
Old 11-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #10
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Dont be racing it. drive it slowly to the tuners and get it put on the dyno. He may have put a base tune in it but didnt tune it. Dont drive it other then that until its dyno tuned.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #11
Agicon1

Ok well the reason why he is beating me because it ain't Dyno tuned? And thanks for all of you guys for the help
Old 11-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #12
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
I cant believe this Tuner let u take the car without finishing his job.
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #13
Agicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
I cant believe this Tuner let u take the car without finishing his job.
Yeah i don't get it man he just told me to come back so I can see he did Dyno tune it supposably and he didn't have a horsepower for me when I asked him for it
Old 11-13-2016, 07:26 AM   #14
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
You MUST get re-tuned after a cam install. From what you're saying, he didn't have time to get the tune done before you picked it up.

The fact that you tried to race your car without having it re-tuned for the cam could have done some serious damage. Stop driving the car till you can get it back to him for the tune or risk a major repair bill when you blow something up.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote