The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #29
alleykt123
err… MEOW!

Drives: 2005 GTO
Send a message via AIM to alleykt123 Send a message via Yahoo to alleykt123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleric View Post
I just saw this in Winding Road, had me giggling away!

Quote:
Motorcycle Cop: Whatcha got in the trunk?
J. Frank Parnell: Oh... You don't wanna look in there.

Repo Man
alleykt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:53 PM   #30
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Name:  super vet.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  super vet1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  52.7 KB

Testing, Testing
Latest spy sighting shows super Vette speeding to showrooms

AutoWeek | Updated: 03/27/07, 9:18 am et
It’s been nearly six months since the last legitimate sighting of Chevrolet’s Corvette SS (“Super Vette Spied,” AW, Oct. 16, 2006), so it’s good to see development work continues to get this special Vette ready for its 2008 introduction as an ’09 model.

Spied while undergoing high-speed runs on the General Motors test track in Milford, Michigan, the car’s 6.2-liter, supercharged, 650-hp V8 reportedly issued a sharp, almost diesel-like rattle on hard acceleration.

Look for GM to build about 2000 of the super-high-performance Corvettes annually, carrying the SS, Z07, Blue Devil or Sting Ray moniker, priced at about $100,000.

So, what do you think dealers are going to charge for this bad bay...
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #31
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
2009 Corvette Blue Devil confirmed and in final tuning phase

2009 Corvette Blue Devil confirmed and in final tuning phase - Daily Auto Insider

Lutz: Like developing a new Corvette.
April 13, 2007
By ALISA PRIDDLE, PHOTOGRAPHY BY CHRIS DOANE FOR BRENDA PRIDDY & COMPANY, MORGAN SEGAL, AND THE MANUFACTURER
April 2007

It appears the “Blue Devil” Corvette already is so quick it has even outrun a freeze on large and powerful rear-drive cars at General Motors, and it’s not even finished yet.

“That one is too late to stop. That’s almost finished. It’s in the final stages of tuning,” Bob Lutz, vice chairman in charge of product development, told CARandDRIVER.com during a recent interview in which he outlined a series of rear-drive projects that have been put on hold until the auto maker knows how strict the proposed new corporate average fuel efficiency (CAFE) regulations will be.

Mounting casualties so far include migrating the next Chevy Impala to the Global RWD Architecture (formerly known as Zeta), an ultra Cadillac based on the 2003 Sixteen concept, potential plans for a rear-drive Cadillac DTS, and work on the smaller Global Small RWD Architecture to produce a baby Caddy.

But the Blue Devil is still on track, despite a gestation period that Lutz described as challenging, in acknowledging, for the first time, the car’s existence. “It’s a very difficult vehicle development. This thing has so much power that we have to explore a dynamic envelope that we’ve never explored before. We want the vehicle to be safe and we want it to be predictable, even at speeds that no mortal is ever going to attain in the United States. That’s our obligation. We’re really into a speed and power realm that General Motors has never been in before. We’re way up there with Porsche Carrera GTs and Ferraris.”

Lutz won’t divulge engine details except to say the displacement of the new powertrain is greater than the pushrod 7.0-liter V-8 in the Z06.

In terms of horsepower, Lutz said: “We’re certainly not going to be at 600 because some of our competition is at 600. So, 600 is a number that is not satisfactory for us. I would say comfortably in excess of 600 is the way I would term it.” As for 700 horses, “that would be a stretch. Tom Stephens (GM’s head of powertrain) would say, ‘maybe in the second year.’”

Which brings us back to our long-held contention the car is packing a 650-horsepower V-8, although we expected it to be a supercharged 6.2-liter with an integrated intake-manifold intercooler. With the lightweight Z06 as a starting point, we expect the Blue Devil will make the sprint from 0 to 60 mph in less than 3.4 seconds.

As for torque expectations, Lutz said he really doesn’t know. “We’re obviously going to have to restrict it because otherwise you get nothing but wheelspin. So those are some of the problems, is how to get power to the ground.”

The product guru is not saying when the beast will bow publicly for the first time, but the expectation is early in the 2008 auto show circuit as we anticipate a 2009 model year designation for the limited run (1500-2000) built a year.

And it’s still anyone’s guess as to its name. While Lutz referred to it as the Blue Devil in talking with CARandDRIVER.com, the rumor mill has churned out Corvette SS, Z07, and Stingray as potential monikers.

Given its lengthy development, and Lutz’s assertion it is proving “almost as tough as an all-new Corvette,” Blue Devil might be apropos by the time this $100,000-plus monster makes it to market.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I love it, They've reached the point of almost too much power, I told you it could happen -

This thing will demolish the competition. It makes me feel more comfortable that the Camaro is in the hands of the same company...i.e.

"In terms of horsepower, Lutz said: “We’re certainly not going to be at 600 because some of our competition is at 600. So, 600 is a number that is not satisfactory for us. I would say comfortably in excess of 600 is the way I would term it.”

Nice...
Old 04-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #33
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^ Yeah. I was going to quote that too. But there are too many good things said by Lutz, that the whole article puts a smile on my face. This will be the supercar of GM. I never really looked at GM in the same realm as Ferrari and Porsche. How sweet would this be if the Blue Devil (I'm thinking Stingray or Z07) completely out ran and out handeled a freakin Ferrari???

I think it was Dragon that was saying there's a point where too much hp is just too much hp. Well...they've hit it. Now, like Lutz was saying...how the heck to they get all that to the ground??? I hear AWD in it's future. I BET it happens. For 100K? Yeah...AWD. And they have the Zeta platform to do it on. It'll be here soon!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #34
Mr. Wyndham

I thought I heard that the Z06 already out ran some of the Exotics...This will seal the deal!
Old 04-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #35
Moosen75

Drives: Junk til 2008
Send a message via AIM to Moosen75
Yes it will seal the deal. ferrari and lamborgini better run for the hills.
Moosen75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #36
Mr. Wyndham

Ha, yeah and the Mustang can join them in a couple years!!! Hell Yeah!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:07 AM   #37
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
GM High Tech Performance did a drag test of a C6 Z06, a Lamborghini Gallardo, and a Ferrari F430 a few months ago. The 'Vette beat both of them by about a full second.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:35 AM   #38
necromant

Drives: Honda Civic
well, with those test's, it'a all relativ...

necromant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #39
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Ha, yeah and the Mustang can join them in a couple years!!! Hell Yeah!!!
As far as the Corvette is concerned the Mustang headed for the hills the day it was born.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #40
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
So the last info I saw said 650-700hp, and 2900lbs!

That's about 4.2lbs/hp!!!

This is the sort of power that is totally insane! No one has anything in this range... this power/weight ratio is usually reserved for race cars and superbikes!

I love it.

~LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #41
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
As far as the Corvette is concerned the Mustang headed for the hills the day it was born.
Think of it as a family affair...Corvette vs. The Supercars of the World and the Camaro vs. the sports cars...
Chevrolet is gong to take on the world - AND WIN
Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #42
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
The Corvette SS will have panties dropping on every corner
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote