The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #57
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm
A bit early to assume the new engines will be added to the Camaro portfolio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
It's about time GM developed a DOHC V8 for the 21st century. I thought part of the plan to elevate Cadillac above the rest of the GM brands was to have exclusive engines? Sharing it with a pickup and a Camaro doesn't make any sense. This looks promising and hopefully this time they learned the lessons from the Northstar and will do the DOHC V8 right. I'd imagine similar changes are in place for the eventual LT V8 replacements.
Yup. That's exactly my point. As much as we might not have liked the old "Corvette has to get it first" days, it is even more prevalent with regards to Cadillac and the rest of GM. Thankfully, Camaro doesn't have to "dumb down" for Corvette anymore, but EVERYBODY has to step aside for Cadillac exclusive bits. The 3.0TT...the 3.6TT...now the 4.2TT.

There is always the possibility that Corvette and/or Camaro could get a different variant of the same engine family, but I think it is highly unlikely that this engine as discussed in Wednesday's CT6 V-Sport reveal finds its way into anything without a Cadillac crest.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:34 AM   #58
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Yup. That's exactly my point. As much as we might not have liked the old "Corvette has to get it first" days, it is even more prevalent with regards to Cadillac and the rest of GM. Thankfully, Camaro doesn't have to "dumb down" for Corvette anymore, but EVERYBODY has to step aside for Cadillac exclusive bits. The 3.0TT...the 3.6TT...now the 4.2TT.

There is always the possibility that Corvette and/or Camaro could get a different variant of the same engine family, but I think it is highly unlikely that this engine as discussed in Wednesday's CT6 V-Sport reveal finds its way into anything without a Cadillac crest.

That would make sense. Variants of the same engine would help. Kind of how Lincoln has some versions of the EcoBoost that are exclusive to them, but they are based on the Ford versions.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #59
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:

That has definitely been the history. BUT, the rules have been changing. Camaro no longer has to have significantly dumbed down engines in comparison to the Corvette. That rule changed. And Cadillac's "exclusive" engines aren't selling worth a crap in comparison to their competition (BMW and Mercedes). That strategy hasn't worked. So that rule may be torn up soon too.

Also, this new Cadillac "exclusive" engine is being built in the Bowling Green facility that up until now only made Corvette stuff. Why would GM add on to the Bowling Green plant to make a Cadillac engine? Well, because they are also going to produce a mid-engine Corvette, and because the 5.5L version of the DHOC TT engine will go into the mid-engine 'vette. I'm not sure if the first engine for the mid-engine car will be TT or N/A, but it's clear that the 4.2L DHOC TT part of the rumor has turned out to be true, and it has some ties (the plant) to the Corvette.

So we are seeing hints that Cadillac may not be as exclusive in the past. Perhaps Cadillac will be the only division that will see the 4.2L engine. Perhaps the 5.5L will be Chevy exclusive. Perhaps not. We shall see, but in the meantime, GM is quietly ramping up to produce an engine that may be perfect for a Z/28. The N/A version of the 5.5L DHOC may end up going into the Z/28 first, then the mid-engine car will debut with the TT version of that engine.

The rules have been changing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Z/28 with one of these new engines sooner or later.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:03 AM   #60
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
That has definitely been the history. BUT, the rules have been changing. Camaro no longer has to have significantly dumbed down engines in comparison to the Corvette. That rule changed. And Cadillac's "exclusive" engines aren't selling worth a crap in comparison to their competition (BMW and Mercedes). That strategy hasn't worked. So that rule may be torn up soon too.

Also, this new Cadillac "exclusive" engine is being built in the Bowling Green facility that up until now only made Corvette stuff. Why would GM add on to the Bowling Green plant to make a Cadillac engine? Well, because they are also going to produce a mid-engine Corvette, and because the 5.5L version of the DHOC TT engine will go into the mid-engine 'vette. I'm not sure if the first engine for the mid-engine car will be TT or N/A, but it's clear that the 4.2L DHOC TT part of the rumor has turned out to be true, and it has some ties (the plant) to the Corvette.

So we are seeing hints that Cadillac may not be as exclusive in the past. Perhaps Cadillac will be the only division that will see the 4.2L engine. Perhaps the 5.5L will be Chevy exclusive. Perhaps not. We shall see, but in the meantime, GM is quietly ramping up to produce an engine that may be perfect for a Z/28. The N/A version of the 5.5L DHOC may end up going into the Z/28 first, then the mid-engine car will debut with the TT version of that engine.

The rules have been changing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Z/28 with one of these new engines sooner or later.
What if it's not a mid engine corvette but a mid engine Caddy we have been seeing!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

But yeah I could see the 4.2 being Caddy exclusive, but other variants of it I bet will be shared
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:11 AM   #61
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

The answer to the part in bold is very simple. Bowling Green is the only low volume engine build center in the GM Network. With the late ‘90s it was Stillwater (Mercury Marine). For the Gen 5 Camaro / Z06 it was Wixom, Michigan. Since C7 it is Bowling Green. Does NOT assume Corvette usage.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 03-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #62
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
http://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/e...win-turbo-v-8/

Nice detail and renderings in this link.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #63
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
GM's 4.6 Northstar was way better than the ford 4.6 mod motor.
The Ford 4.6 never did much of anything, but the caddy 4.6 as it got older turned out to be a high maintenance motor and never was a performance engine. The 4.6 caddy was also a bear to work on, glad its gone. Caddy also screwed up with the XLR also by using there own engine's versus the corvette engines. This 4.2 and the proposed 5.5 coming down the pike does show promise for Cadillac and Corvette.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #64
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
What if it's not a mid engine corvette but a mid engine Caddy we have been seeing!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
What if it's BOTH????
Old 03-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #65
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
The answer to the part in bold is very simple. Bowling Green is the only low volume engine build center in the GM Network. With the late ‘90s it was Stillwater (Mercury Marine). For the Gen 5 Camaro / Z06 it was Wixom, Michigan. Since C7 it is Bowling Green. Does NOT assume Corvette usage.
Agreed. Cadillac's announcement said that the new engine will be hand built. More argument for it to be built in Bowling Green. But if there were a 5.5L version of the engine, wouldn't it be produced along side the 4.2 for efficiency? I am not sure about that, but it makes sense to a layperson like me. If there were a new 5.5L DHOC TT engine, it would probably be low volume as well.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #66
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Agreed. Cadillac's announcement said that the new engine will be hand built. More argument for it to be built in Bowling Green. But if there were a 5.5L version of the engine, wouldn't it be produced along side the 4.2 for efficiency? I am not sure about that, but it makes sense to a layperson like me. If there were a new 5.5L DHOC TT engine, it would probably be low volume as well.
Dual Head Over Cam?

I mean. . . it is a dual headed engine, but then, shouldn't it be DHUC as both heads are, Under their respective cams?

Seems like a lot if work to drop the standard DOHC nomenclature.

But I digress.

A 4.2L TT mid engine Caddy would be awesome. Would you imagine it getting a real name or an alphanumeric designation?
Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #67
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
Dual Head Over Cam?

I mean. . . it is a dual headed engine, but then, shouldn't it be DHUC as both heads are, Under their respective cams?

Seems like a lot if work to drop the standard DOHC nomenclature.

But I digress.

A 4.2L TT mid engine Caddy would be awesome. Would you imagine it getting a real name or an alphanumeric designation?
Sorry, as you can see I am a bit dyslexic, especially while typing fast.

But the rumor is it will be named LTA. See post #47 in this thread.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #68
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Yes. That is really my point. The 4.2TT is at Bowling Green because the low volume, hand- built facility is at Bowling Green.

The low volume build is at Bowling Green because GM thought it would be cool to let Corvette Z06 and ZR1 buyers participate in building their own engines. Started that at Wixom, but BG made more sense since the car was being built there. So when it came time to replace Wixom and add another low volume engine....there ya go...put it in BG rather than set up separate low volume build centers.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #69
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Sorry, as you can see I am a bit dyslexic, especially while typing fast.

But the rumor is it will be named LTA. See post #47 in this thread.
I was referring to a hypothetical mid engine Cadillac.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #70
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Why am I seeing biturbo in some places?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can