Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #29
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomorro View Post
Wow now that is a referral! Definitely would have taken it to them if I had known. Of for what ever reason these guys cant figure it out I will be taking it there.

Hmmm maybe I can take it there for plug and fluid changes and have them do a once over on it. I was going to do it myself but they might find other stuff that needs replacing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I will add that they're not the cheapest...... I could have fixed some of the issues myself for a fraction of the cost. Fair warning... but 'you get what you pay for' continues to be my theory here.

Tell them Rob with the Silver Camaro sent you.
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #30
Chomorro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
I will add that they're not the cheapest...... I could have fixed some of the issues myself for a fraction of the cost. Fair warning... but 'you get what you pay for' continues to be my theory here.

Tell them Rob with the Silver Camaro sent you.
Just curious have you had your valves walnut blasted by anyone in SD? I'm looking at that's as part of my first maintenance stuff. I don't have all the tools to get it done myself but I'm reading some places charge almost $1000 for it. At that point i can just buy the tools.

Chomorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #31
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Just curious have you had your valves walnut blasted by anyone in SD? I'm looking at that's as part of my first maintenance stuff. I don't have all the tools to get it done myself but I'm reading some places charge almost $1000 for it. At that point i can just buy the tools.

Negative... haven't really had the need. I am at 161k miles, but the car's not slowing down, or shaking at idle or anything of the sort.

I have an LS3 and this sort of thing may not be necessary until at least over 250k miles is my thought....
Old 11-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #32
Chomorro

Quote:
Negative... haven't really had the need. I am at 161k miles, but the car's not slowing down, or shaking at idle or anything of the sort.

I have an LS3 and this sort of thing may not be necessary until at least over 250k miles is my thought....
I might be reading the wrong information online. Would make sense since I cannot find a lot of info on it for LS3s.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #33
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
I might be reading the wrong information online. Would make sense since I cannot find a lot of info on it for LS3s.

Buildup on the valves is a much more common problem with the direct injected engines. The L99 and LS3 are not direct injected, you really shouldn't have to worry about it. A top end cleaner like BG products or even sea foam should be more than enough should you start having problems.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #34
Chomorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Buildup on the valves is a much more common problem with the direct injected engines. The L99 and LS3 are not direct injected, you really shouldn't have to worry about it. A top end cleaner like BG products or even sea foam should be more than enough should you start having problems.
Excellent thank you! All the information I was reading was from v6 camaros it looks like.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #35
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Excellent thank you! All the information I was reading was from v6 camaros it looks like.

That sounds very correct they are direct injected as well as the 6th Gen LT V8 engines.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #36
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:

When I disassembled my L99 after I snapped a rod I took a good look at the heads and valves. I had 153,300 miles and the valves looked amazing. I had nearly no carbon buildup of any kind on them. I attribute most of that to using high quality detergent gasoline like Shell 93. I only started using a catch can at about 130k miles.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #37
Chomorro

We only have 91 here in CA unfortunately but I was thinking of converting to e85 eventually for this bad boy.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #38
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
We only have 91 here in CA unfortunately but I was thinking of converting to e85 eventually for this bad boy.

The octane itself doesn't keep it clean, it is just that with most brands the highest octane level is usually their 'best' detergent gasoline.

But that all changes with e85. I have watched some disassembly videos online where people have run thousands of miles on e85 and their engines look pristine inside. E85 will definitely keep a clean fuel/induction system, even more so for those running methanol injection.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #39
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
When I disassembled my L99 after I snapped a rod I took a good look at the heads and valves. I had 153,300 miles and the valves looked amazing. I had nearly no carbon buildup of any kind on them. I attribute most of that to using high quality detergent gasoline like Shell 93. I only started using a catch can at about 130k miles.

That's good to know... thanks bro for the info on your ride. I myself stick to Shell or Chevron w/ Techron... ocassionally a 76. All top tier.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #40
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Maybe it's just me but I would have turned right around and taken back to the dealer and tell them to figure it out. Was the warranty 20' or the first time the wheels hit a public highway?

I didn't read all 3 pages but why didn't you just take it back to the dealer right away?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:27 PM   #41
Spec
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
Maybe it's just me but I would have turned right around and taken back to the dealer and tell them to figure it out. Was the warranty 20' or the first time the wheels hit a public highway?

I didn't read all 3 pages but why didn't you just take it back to the dealer right away?

Where's the challenge in that? Already this car loves you enough to get you engaged.... they're keepers, my brothers... don't let a little cel bother you...
Old 11-09-2019, 02:39 AM   #42
Chomorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post

Private party purchase unfortunately. Those are as is.

It was clean title, clean carfax and no performance mods so thought it was a decent deal for my first muscle car build. So far mechanic hasn't said it's anything serious.