Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #85
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
I have seen that car at a show. I loved seeing it there. Shows are also about variety. My god you can only look at so many Camaros and Mustangs.. bring some variety and let everyone see some great cars/trucks.
Absolutely correct! Any well kept car is worthy. Why? Because MOST people's cars look like dog doo, inside and out. What I mean is that most people don't keep their vehicle in show room like condition. They don't wash and wax it or take the time to remove swirls and such. So for the person who does, I don't care what type of car it is, he/she has the right to show it off with pride. If that Yugo looks like the day it came out of the showroom, then it has the right to be in a car show. It's NOT just about what's under the hood. I've seen cars with 1000Hp that look like absolute garbage on the outside. I get it. It's a car for the track and that's fine, but putting it in a car show makes me scratch my head.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #86
samman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
IMO, they ruined it by the prices, so now every Dick & Harry thinks their car is worth a fortune.

BTW, if you went to a Barrett-Jackson Auction, you would find very few "well-kept" cars. They are mostly shined-up pigs waiting for a Liquored up Bidder.
Maybe true. I guess the camera could lie about what we see on TV. However, I find it hard to believe that people don't check out the car prior to them getting "liquored up," especially at those prices.

However, I can understand how many people now think their car is valuable. I'm a record collector and everyone thinks that the Beatles album they own is worth thousands. One minor fact they all overlook is CONDITION. Does is look like the day it was new?

So your saying that Barrett Jackson is putting lipstick on pig cars that are just waiting to fall apart??
Old 09-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #87
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Maybe true. I guess the camera could lie about what we see on TV. However, I find it hard to believe that people don't check out the car prior to them getting "liquored up," especially at those prices.

However, I can understand how many people now think their car is valuable. I'm a record collector and everyone thinks that the Beatles album they own is worth thousands. One minor fact they all overlook is CONDITION. Does is look like the day it was new?

So your saying that Barrett Jackson is putting lipstick on pig cars that are just waiting to fall apart??
In wouldn’t say all of them are lipstick on a pig, I’m sure there’s lots of well built genuine real deal stuff there. However when I’m not dabbling with my camaro I’m in to the 67-72 K5,10 and 20’s. I’ve seen several cobbled together trucks run over the auction block on BJ. 2 wheel drive trucks converted to 4x4 and then sold as original 4x4s, spid sheets that don’t match the factory options on the truck at all what so ever, “factory original restorations” that are so wrong it isn’t funny etc. If this happens with the trucks I’m into I can only assume it happens with a portion of everything else as well. Shiny paint and wheels seem to be all certain people are after and they spend big bucks on stuff that isn’t worth half of what they pay sometimes.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:07 PM   #88
samman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
In wouldn’t say all of them are lipstick on a pig, I’m sure there’s lots of well built genuine real deal stuff there. However when I’m not dabbling with my camaro I’m in to the 67-72 K5,10 and 20’s. I’ve seen several cobbled together trucks run over the auction block on BJ. 2 wheel drive trucks converted to 4x4 and then sold as original 4x4s, spid sheets that don’t match the factory options on the truck at all what so ever, “factory original restorations” that are so wrong it isn’t funny etc. If this happens with the trucks I’m into I can only assume it happens with a portion of everything else as well. Shiny paint and wheels seem to be all certain people are after and they spend big bucks on stuff that isn’t worth half of what they pay sometimes.
No way I'm buying without my mechanic taking a look or at least having the option that all sales are predicated on a satisfactory inspection from the garage of my choosing. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'll be holding BJ liable. I can't believe it's "All sales are final and buyer beware." That would be crazy.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #89
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i was going to a guitar show that happened to be held about 1/2 mile from the mecum auction in kissimmee,fl. in my 1966 pontiac tempest hotrod.i loved this car and kept it nice,but it made my day when they assumed i was there for the auction.had a good time at the guitar show and drove home in what i arrived in.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #90
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
No way I'm buying without my mechanic taking a look or at least having the option that all sales are predicated on a satisfactory inspection from the garage of my choosing. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'll be holding BJ liable. I can't believe it's "All sales are final and buyer beware." That would be crazy.
Then you won't be buying a car at Auction. They don't wait around while you get a Mechanic - they are there to auction cars. BJ would only be liable if they grossly mis-represented the car. However, if it doesn't run the way you like and you find some rust later on, it's your car!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #91
BMR Sales

Quote:

I work Barrett Jackson Palm Beach for Chevrolet nearly every year and there have only been a handful of cars I would even think about buying
Old 09-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #92
samman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Then you won't be buying a car at Auction. They don't wait around while you get a Mechanic - they are there to auction cars. BJ would only be liable if they grossly mis-represented the car. However, if it doesn't run the way you like and you find some rust later on, it's your car!
So if you were to come with your mechanic, do they allow you to put the car up on a lift for a close inspection prior to bidding??? I mean seriously, anyone dropping the kind of dollars I've seen on TV better have been allowed to CLOSELY inspect the vehicle.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #93
BMR Sales

you could bring a Mechanic friend to look at the cars but there are No lifts or diagnostic equipment for you to use!

The cars are lined up under Tents for you to look at, then driven to the stage to Auction, that's it!
Old 09-26-2019, 12:57 PM   #94
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
This is very troubling to hear. I go to dozens of shows every Summer and I meet some of the nicest people you'd ever want to come across.

Odd.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #95
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
Sorry I'm advanced lol

But..... Aren't car shows for like older guys and gals. With that being said all I ever got when going to car meets and shows is negativity. So I stopped going. I guess us younger people are not allowed to go around these parts. Lol
I'm 56 and I've only been in one car show as I'm not really into them. Like others have said better than I, I would rather have my car out and using it for its designed purpose. I am emphatically not at all into trailer queens and weekend warriors. But to each their own.

Having said that - the one car show I attended was when I had my one family-owned 1927 Ford Model T. Bone stock with one restoration in the late 60s. I was the only guy at the show who had signs on his car that said "PLEASE TOUCH". I WANTED younger people to experience the fun and excitement of a neat old car. How else do you get them interested in the hobby? If a car has to be roped off from the public you might as well put it in a museum because it is no longer a functional vehicle but a work of art to be admired from a distance.

I had more pics taken of my car by people (kids and adults) getting their picture taken behind the wheel than any other car in the show. There was a very nice 67 COPO Corvette right beside me but the crowds were around my car most of the day.

Ok, off my soapbox now...
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #96
Danial

Quote:
So if you were to come with your mechanic, do they allow you to put the car up on a lift for a close inspection prior to bidding??? I mean seriously, anyone dropping the kind of dollars I've seen on TV better have been allowed to CLOSELY inspect the vehicle.
There is always a pre-inspection period before the actual action. They can go on for several days.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:31 PM   #97
Danial

Quote:

Got any First States for sale?
Old 09-28-2019, 03:27 AM   #98
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I am still in a Camaro club but I don't take my car to shows anymore. The Camaro was very special when it first came out but now it's just another "dime a dozen" car.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote