Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
If you are not going to track the car, I don't see the need for Recaros. Why get a tight fitting seat when you won't be pushing 1G in the car?

I find my ZL1 very comfortable for a sportscar (non-Recaro), but have not gone on any long trips yet. Intuitively it would make sense that the Cadillac would be more comfortable. That said, you have to go sit in both of them before you lay out that kind of money.
In the CTS-V the side bolsters in the Recaro seat and in the seat back were independently adjustable for width. You could open it up for street driving and really pin yourself in tight on the track. I had my key fob 2 set for track settings and key fob 1 for daily driving and when you got in the car it automaticially returned the seat to your settings based on the fob you were using. The V had some nice features. But if you think the ZL1 feels heavy on a road course, the V is even a bigger pig....lol.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
But if you think the ZL1 feels heavy on a road course, the V is even a bigger pig....lol.
The CTS-V only weigh's ~100-150 lbs more. Did it make that big of a difference?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
I've heard wider hips and torso's make the Recaro's uncomfortable. The Recaro's are very firm but can contour to fit like a glove. They are ideal for support but not a cushy feel to them. I loved the stretched out feel of the Camaro seating position but feel the V is more ergonomic. If you're a bigger guy I suspect the Camaro will be more comfortable on long trips.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I'm an old offensive lineman and FOR ME the Recaros are about as comfortable as wearing shoes 2 sizes too small. I feel the pressure in my lower lats and shoulders. I hate feeling constrained. To each their own, but much like F-1 cars, Recaros are designed for the smaller or avg. sized guy.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #19
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
The CTS-V only weigh's ~100-150 lbs more. Did it make that big of a difference?
I never actually weighed my V but even in the sport mode it did not transition as well or feel quite as planted as the ZL1. I suspect that even in the sport modes the mag ride is tuned a little softer and I suspect the average center mass of the car is a few inches higher on the V. I had to buy a super low profile jack for the ZL1 because the floor jack I used on the V would not fit under the Camaro. I'm curious what the actual weight of a V coupe is. My ZL1 is currently at 4060 with no driver and I have cut about 80 lbs since I started weighing it. Most of that is unsprung weight. I did remove the rear seat for about 20 lbs. No, the Cadillac guys may not like me saying it but the ZL1 feels quite a bit lighter than the CTS-V in the corners. Both of them are pretty remarkable when you consider they have 1000 lbs on a Boxster or a 370Z.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
the cts v coupe seems to be very nice and it felt just as comfortable as the zl1 or more. the sedan I must say, had no leg room in the rear by the time I was done, and ingress an egress suck
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
DonutSS

Drives: '12 ZL1 SIM ADM Built
Jess did I see where you upgraded your rear subframe bushings?? I thought for sure they had firmed those up on the ZL1.
automatic ADM Built 750hp - Sold Last seen tearing up the streets of Atlanta
DonutSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #22
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I spent a week in a CTS with Recaros driving almost 3000 miles. The last day was 11 hours straight, North Carolina to South Florida. I found the Cadillac Recaros with heating and cooling to be the best seats I have have used primarily because of the cooling system which kept my back from sweating and their adjustability. The stock ZL1 seats keep me very much in place when tracking the Camaro and are also very comfortable on long trips. We drove her to CF3 in Indy from South Florida but they would be a little better if they also had cooling to go along with heating. In the South Florida heat, cooled seats are invaluable and a great addition on long trips to help keep you more alert. I would pick the cooled seats of the Caddy for long trips.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I spent a week in a CTS with Recaros driving almost 3000 miles. The last day was 11 hours straight, North Carolina to South Florida. I found the Cadillac Recaros with heating and cooling to be the best seats I have have used primarily because of the cooling system which kept my back from sweating and their adjustability. The stock ZL1 seats keep me very much in place when tracking the Camaro and are also very comfortable on long trips. We drove her to CF3 in Indy from South Florida but they would be a little better if they also had cooling to go along with heating. In the South Florida heat, cooled seats are invaluable and a great addition on long trips to help keep you more alert. I would pick the cooled seats of the Caddy for long trips.

Can you define "tracking"? Are you referring to 1/4 mile or road course? The stock seats are terrible at providing side bolstering in corners. I have to use my legs due to lack of stability.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #24
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Replaced my 2013 Convertible ZL1 with a CTS-V coupe. I like the seats in the ZL1 better. If your larger through the lat and shoulder area it's hard to get "seated" into the recaros fully. However, the recaros are very supportive for long trips for the more "normal" sized folks.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #25
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue View Post
I'm an old offensive lineman and FOR ME the Recaros are about as comfortable as wearing shoes 2 sizes too small. I feel the pressure in my lower lats and shoulders. I hate feeling constrained. To each their own, but much like F-1 cars, Recaros are designed for the smaller or avg. sized guy.
I suppose everyone seems smallish when you're an offensive lineman lol

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #26
DonutSS

Drives: '12 ZL1 SIM ADM Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvp33 View Post
Replaced my 2013 Convertible ZL1 with a CTS-V coupe. I like the seats in the ZL1 better. If your larger through the lat and shoulder area it's hard to get "seated" into the recaros fully. However, the recaros are very supportive for long trips for the more "normal" sized folks.
Why did you switch to CTSV ?
automatic ADM Built 750hp - Sold Last seen tearing up the streets of Atlanta
DonutSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:38 AM   #27
Hot Tamales

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red M6
I'm 6'0" 300 lbs and the Camaro is probably one of the most comfortable cars I've owned
Old 02-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #28
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutSS View Post
Jess did I see where you upgraded your rear subframe bushings?? I thought for sure they had firmed those up on the ZL1.
I don't know for sure if the stock subframe bushing on the ZL1 is any different that the bushing on an SS but there is quite a bit of potential for flex on the stock bushings. Every aftermarket suspension company has a replacement subframe bushing for the ZL1. Some are solid metal and some are just semi-rigid. I actually replaced mine before my car ever saw the track so I can't comment on the handling difference.