Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Camaro ZL1 Goals

I've been around forums here and on LS1tech to learn as much as I can about the ZL1. I've posted in many other threads and came up with a plan of what I am willing to do to the car and what my goals are. After doing some reading, it appears there is quite a bit you can do to this car quite easily to make a substantial amount of power.

I DON'T want to change the drivability or mannerisms of the car AT ALL. I want the car to drive like stock, until you punch it. I also want the car to be as reliable as a stock car, or as close as possible. I want to be able to take it on road trips, cruises, spirited drives and to the drag strip without having to worry about a thing. I don't want to have to constantly log A/F ratios and have to always be logging runs and checking to make sure everything is working properly. I want to simply enjoy it the way I would be able to enjoy a stock ZL1, just with the added power.

My power goals are to be able to trap around 130mph in the quarter mile. It doesn't have to be exact, but I'd like OVER 125mph, the closer to 130, the better.

To make this possible, my ideas for mods based on what I've learned and read on the forums are the following:

-Roto-fab intake and Vmax ported TB

-ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers with high flow cats

-8.6" (10%) OD pulley

-2.55" supercharger pulley (or heartbeat blower) I'd like the end result to be
14psi whether it's with the heartbeat or the stock blower. I'm considering the heartbeat for the intercoolers and efficiency. I don't want to push the stock blower near it's limits.

-ID850 fuel injectors

-LS9 cam with LS9 valve train (valves, springs etc). I DO NOT want to remove the heads so head work is not an option. I chose the LS9 because of it's complete stock like behavior and decent power gains.

Now my questions are, will the following modifications allow me to reach my trap speed goals AS WELL AS my drivability goals? Are my goals unreasonable? What kind of RWHP would these modifications bring the car to and how much do you think is needed for my goals?

And finally, is any other part of the car going to be pushed to the edge with this sort of power? Will the fuel pump be able to handle the power these modifications will make?

I'll be shopping for the car in about a month or so. Now don't hate me, but I'll also be looking at some 2014 GT500's to, just to see what the chances are that the prices are similar, but odds are the GT500 is gonna be quite a bit more money than the ZL1.

Thanks in advanced!
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
First you should decide if you want a Mustang or a Camaro. The GT500 may be more expensive but also produces more power. If the dragstrip is your goal, the automatic option in the ZL1 might be the clincher.

Those mods should get you close to what you want. I would highly recommend that you find a really good shop to do the work. Your goal of not wanting to change drivability or manners may not be realistic. This will require somebody that knows calibration work.

Ask around, there are many good performance shops that are sponsors here on C5. Discuss your goals upfront with whoever you choose.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
First you should decide if you want a Mustang or a Camaro. The GT500 may be more expensive but also produces more power. If the dragstrip is your goal, the automatic option in the ZL1 might be the clincher.

Those mods should get you close to what you want. I would highly recommend that you find a really good shop to do the work. Your goal of not wanting to change drivability or manners may not be realistic. This will require somebody that knows calibration work.

Ask around, there are many good performance shops that are sponsors here on C5. Discuss your goals upfront with whoever you choose.
Which modifications are the ones that may change the cars road manners? Any of the modifications you would change? Anything you would add? Or are my goals not possible with the ZL1?

I like both cars. DEFINITELY want a manual, I enjoy manual MUTCH more, and the car will be driven on the street most of the time. I'm more interested in the trap speeds then the actual times themselves.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
Few things.

In my opinion, you're wasting money by doing upper and lower to get 14psi. You can do that with lower only. Also, you're cam choice isn't aggressive enough. A decent tuner can tune a meaner cam that will still keep perfect street manners.

Most importantly, the GT500 is a better choice if drag racing is you're thing. Anyone that tells you differently...is wrong.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Which modifications are the ones that may change the cars road manners? Any of the modifications you would change? Anything you would add? Or are my goals not possible with the ZL1?

I like both cars. DEFINITELY want a manual, I enjoy manual MUTCH more, and the car will be driven on the street most of the time. I'm more interested in the trap speeds then the actual times themselves.
The modifications that you plan to make will require the engine calibration to be modified from stock. Most people on these boards refer to this process as "tuning." How the calibration gets changed will impact how close you will get to your goals. If you review your goals up front the shop will be able to consider them when they are performing the re calibration for the modifications they install. I'm just going to tell you to expect some difference in how the car behaves.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
The modifications that you plan to make will require the engine calibration to be modified from stock. Most people on these boards refer to this process as "tuning." How the calibration gets changed will impact how close you will get to your goals. If you review your goals up front the shop will be able to consider them when they are performing the re calibration for the modifications they install. I'm just going to tell you to expect some difference in how the car behaves.
Yes, I'm familiar with the tuning. I'm no stranger to tuning and modifications, I used to own a cammed G8 GT and had HPtuners.

I still haven't decided on a tuner. I have a few tuners in mind, but still don't know which of them is "the best."

What differences in behavior can I expect? I've never owned or even driven a supercharged car before so I'm unfamiliar with what behavior differences modding a supercharged car would be.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPG View Post
Few things.

In my opinion, you're wasting money by doing upper and lower to get 14psi. You can do that with lower only. Also, you're cam choice isn't aggressive enough. A decent tuner can tune a meaner cam that will still keep perfect street manners.

Most importantly, the GT500 is a better choice if drag racing is you're thing. Anyone that tells you differently...is wrong.
Which lower pulley will get me to 14 psi?

I originally didn't even want to do a cam, the only reason I even considered the LS9 cam was because it's completely indistinguishable from stock. A saw a thread where a guy swapped to the LS9 cam and didn't even have to tune the car! It idled and ran like stock.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
BPG
Faster than you...

Quote:

I originally didn't even want to do a cam, the only reason I even considered the LS9 cam was because it's completely indistinguishable from stock. A saw a thread where a guy swapped to the LS9 cam and didn't even have to tune the car! It idled and ran like stock.
I have 9.55 lower and see 13-14 on the gauge.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
BPG
Faster than you...

Quote:

I just wouldn't bother spending the money on a cam, if the power didn't justify the swap, and I don't feel like the LS9 cam does. Again, my opinion. Lots of people run that cam, and like it.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
Blackdevil77

Quote:
I just wouldn't bother spending the money on a cam, if the power didn't justify the swap, and I don't feel like the LS9 cam does. Again, my opinion. Lots of people run that cam, and like it.
If from what I read is accurate, it's showing gains of between 30-40 RWHP. If that's good for 2 or so mph in the 1/4, that would help get me to my goal without having to add additional boost. I'm just toying with ideas right now, I have no idea how much a cam swap like that would cost, I've never done it without having the heads removed also, so I would imagine it would be quite a bit less then what I've spent in the past.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
BPG
Faster than you...

Quote:
If from what I read is accurate, it's showing gains of between 30-40 RWHP. If that's good for 2 or so mph in the 1/4, that would help get me to my goal without having to add additional boost. I'm just toying with ideas right now, I have no idea how much a cam swap like that would cost, I've never done it without having the heads removed also, so I would imagine it would be quite a bit less then what I've spent in the past.
Personally, I'd leave the stock cam. I'd just port the snout and go to a 102mm TB. Gains should be similar and you'd save money, I believe. Vengeance picked up 53 and 55 with the combo
Old 03-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #12
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Personally, I'd leave the stock cam. I'd just port the snout and go to a 102mm TB. Gains should be similar and you'd save money, I believe. Vengeance picked up 53 and 55 with the combo
Do you think my goals are attainable with that mod list? The cam would be a last resort. If I port the snout and go with the 102mm TB, and am still shy, I could always add the cam if I need that little extra bump
Old 03-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
2.4 upper only will get you there as well. I don't see a heat exchanger listed. You'll need to look at a larger HX for 14psi.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:16 PM   #14
BPG
Faster than you...

Quote:
Do you think my goals are attainable with that mod list? The cam would be a last resort. If I port the snout and go with the 102mm TB, and am still shy, I could always add the cam if I need that little extra bump
Depends on the "driver mod" and actually hooking. Just because the car can trap 130, doesn't always mean it will

Long tubes, injectors, lower pulley, ported snout and 102mm should be good for high 120s if it hooks.

Not accidentally bouncing off the rev limiter is another story, I'm finding out it's more and more apparent every time I'm at the track that I need more seat time. Rowing gears on a roots blower takes some getting use to. The torque these things make cause the RPMs to come up a lot faster than I'm use to. I believe this is the reason you don't see as many M6 guys on the fast list in the 10s.