Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
whining noise????

So since I changed my cam I have had this whine I thought it would go away, because I had a misshap with some coolent getting on the front of the engine. Well has not gone away after a week of driving, I could hear it when the car is just sitting when I rev the engine to about 2k and when I drive the car. I can not find were it is comming from, I put a pipe on the pullys to my ear, and engine... and tried to listen and it does not sound like its from the engine or anywere I can pin point it from

There are no issues with the car, everything is fine and driving great. It almost sounds like when the alternator would be going out on a old car, like an electrical whine.

FYI still using the stock timing chain and tensioner, with a single bolt cam. So I dought it would have anything to do with the chain. Please help me find this noise.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
That's just Camaro5 no biggie, it's normal.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

But for real. Sometimes those noises are really hard to pin down.

Can you get a video and put it up? Sometimes it's a good recognizable noise to some on here. It's worked before.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Bad70supreme

I just got done reading peoples problems with there A/C... I wounder when I took the belt off and then got coolent on it... caused it to take a dump! I can try and take a vid but I dont think you would hear it on video. Now with my cam, would my worrenty cover the A/C still if it is?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
I just got done reading peoples problems with there A/C... I wounder when I took the belt off and then got coolent on it... caused it to take a dump! I can try and take a vid but I dont think you would hear it on video. Now with my cam, would my worrenty cover the A/C still if it is?
Hard to say. I can't see why it wouldn't but they can play hard ball.

If you had to take that belt off and put it back on it could be your noise. Mine made noise when I put it back on for a few days. But I had put a split in it.

If your AC is broke it's a coincidence. Nothing about a cam swap should cause the AC to go out.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Bad70supreme

This is pissing me off, it sounds exactly like what these guys were saying with there A/C. I just wonder if it was on the fritz already and when I pulled the belt off and on it just happen to start making this noise now. I really dont know what else it could be.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
This is pissing me off, it sounds exactly like what these guys were saying with there A/C. I just wonder if it was on the fritz already and when I pulled the belt off and on it just happen to start making this noise now. I really dont know what else it could be.
Like I said, it would have to be a coincidence.

I've had two noises that I diagnosed where I thought the AC belt was involved or might be involved. One I detrimined was indeed the belt. I took a deep socket and a long handled ratchet and pushed the belt gently to sideways with the engine running and it stopped the noise. So that time it was the belt.

Second time I thought it could be the belt again and turned out to be a header gasket leak.

Sometimes it's really hard to tell. If your AC works all the time then I would think it's the compressor pulley or AC at all.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Oh, and you'd be surprised what audio is captured well when recorded.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Crime2
Got Boost?

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Quote:
Had the same problem and it was the AC belt. The belt is a one time use. Once it's on and you take it off you will need a new one with the install tool from GM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If is spelllled wrong deal with it.
Crime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Bad70supreme

But it does not sound like a belt squel, its a whine?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
AiRDawG

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Important question: Are you sure you didn't put a supercharger on by mistake? Sometimes a mistakenly installed SC can cause a whine...

AiRDawG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Bad70supreme

I wish that was the case.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
3atman

Drives: 2010 ls3 camaro
Bringing this back from the dead bad70 did you ever get this problem fixed?? I'm having the same thing happen after my cam swap
3atman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
Kip Fabre

Drives: 2010 Corvette
This is Kip from Cam Motion I would like to discuss camshaft whining and what causes it. This is my first time here but I will be contributing time to time. There are few causes for cam whining I will discuss a few. 1 cam lobe surface finish is not good it can look good and measure good but it can have small chatter marks that will drive the valve train crazy making a whining noise. Let me explain it this way it is like when you are driving down the highway on a nice smooth surface and you hit a section on the highway that is grooved now all sounds changes the groves send a vibration through the whole car just like the roller lifters do on a cam with chatter or a bad lobe design. The way to solve this is to polish the lobes after grinding we have done this for the last 6 years it cost more that is why most companies don’t do it. We did have some trouble with this on some of our cams about 8 or 9 years ago. Ever cense we started polishing the lobe we have no problems with cams whining if someone has a cam of ours that whines please let us know. 2 bad cam lobe design with high acceleration rates high jerk rates will also cause this. Bad designs cam lobes can cause a sine wave or frequency to valve train from that it will cause a vibration or a whining noise. There are other reasons that can cause this problem but these two are the most common. ( I posted this on another site. I think this will be helpful here also.)
Kip Fabre is offline   Reply With Quote