Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #85
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Awesome project!! Enjoy the build there's a ton of experience you're about to gain and it'll reward you the rest of your life!!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #86
AustinWithrow

Drives: 2013 Cammed/LSA Conversion 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohten View Post
The previous owner may have been using a Vararam intake.
Yes, he did have the vararam intake. Finally got to look underneath the car today. As far as we can tell the block as trans is good (even the bell housing). I will be taking pictures underneath in just a few minutes to show the damage that we can see! If you guys have any questions or comments about it make sure to ask!
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #87
AustinWithrow

Here are a few pictures of the trans and engine. (Somewhat) can't really get good pictures up and under it.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #88
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I have a suggestion, but you probably already know it. As you start to disassemble stuff take lots of pictures and organize them. Then draw diagrams. You will have to disconnect the wiring from each module before you can swap them over, so you want to make sure you get all that laid out on paper first. I don't know how many times I've taken stuff apart thinking I'll get it all done in a day or two, only to have it last weeks, months, or more. Then I kick myself for not having pictures and diagrams.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #89
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinWithrow View Post
Yes, he did have the vararam intake. Finally got to look underneath the car today. As far as we can tell the block as trans is good (even the bell housing). I will be taking pictures underneath in just a few minutes to show the damage that we can see! If you guys have any questions or comments about it make sure to ask!
OK so that's why the red silicon connector has a hole at the top for the fresh air hose. I remember having that on mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #90
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Hopefully we can just change out the ECM and BCM and then change out all of the sensors that read off of the computers and hopefully it will run. Because we are in a project right now where we are trying to put a LFX into a 2011 and we got everything changed such as engine, trans, BCM, ECM, and we figured it would work... But we took it to the dealer and they said we would have to change about 6 modules before they could flash it because the new camaros run off satellites in the sky and so if the computer don't read everything as the same vin then all the electronics that read off of the vin to the BCM has to be changed before it will start. And the tech at gm said we would have to do it with this swap to because it's going from a 2012 to a 2011. So I guess we will see how it works out. We are almost home with the car and hopefully going to be able to get underneath today to take a look at what is wrong underneath!
I don't want to call anyone a liar, but I think I'd be checking with a different dealer. The only thing that I know of on a 5th Gen that "
runs off satellites in the sky" is the XM radio.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #91
AustinWithrow

Got the car off of the car hauler tonight. Took us about 6 hours to do it. We had an alternator break on my papaws truck and we didn't know it, so it ran for about 10 min over 260 degrees. Finally got a replacement alternator about 7 tonight and got it put on and the car let to the ground. Without tearing it up any worse. Lol will be working on it tomorrow. Will update with more pictures tomorrow. Oh and my new headers came in today!
Attached Images

Last edited by AustinWithrow; 08-12-2014 at 11:23 PM.
AustinWithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #92
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
I don't want to call anyone a liar, but I think I'd be checking with a different dealer. The only thing that I know of on a 5th Gen that "
runs off satellites in the sky" is the XM radio.
Guy could be confused with OnStar, granted that's not a "satellite in the sky" and I don't believe it receives or pings anything on VIN eligibility. That should be all internal checking I would believe because you could just park the car in a garage that doesn't get cell service and do all you want to it.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #93
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
Guy could be confused with OnStar, granted that's not a "satellite in the sky" and I don't believe it receives or pings anything on VIN eligibility. That should be all internal checking I would believe because you could just park the car in a garage that doesn't get cell service and do all you want to it.
That's why I said that I think I'd go to a different dealer. The techs in a dealer service dept. should know exactly how these cars work and they should know that OnStar operates off of Verizon's cell phone network. If they're telling the guy that these Camaros "run off of satellites in the sky", either they're misinformed, or they are trying to misinform him, or I've been misinformed.
There is a dealership tech in that area who is very knowledgeable on 5th Gens and he works on the side, out of his personal garage, nights and weekends. I know this because I have a buddy who lives near there, and he repaired a salvage 2013 Camaro for his daughter. He was told by numerous body shops and dealerships that once the airbags were deployed, the airbag control module was toast and would have to be replaced. The tech told him that this was not true and to just bring it by his house and he would reset it for pennies on the dollar. He did and it worked like a charm. He told me that he had several long discussions about 5th Gens with the guy and he really knows his stuff. This is the guy that Austin Withrow needs to be talking to. I think that the guy works at the London, KY dealership, which is only about 10 miles from Corbin, where Austin is located.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #94
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
That's why I said that I think I'd go to a different dealer. The techs in a dealer service dept. should know exactly how these cars work and they should know that OnStar operates off of Verizon's cell phone network. If they're telling the guy that these Camaros "run off of satellites in the sky", either they're misinformed, or they are trying to misinform him, or I've been misinformed.
There is a dealership tech in that area who is very knowledgeable on 5th Gens and he works on the side, out of his personal garage, nights and weekends. I know this because I have a buddy who lives near there, and he repaired a salvage 2013 Camaro for his daughter. He was told by numerous body shops and dealerships that once the airbags were deployed, the airbag control module was toast and would have to be replaced. The tech told him that this was not true and to just bring it by his house and he would reset it for pennies on the dollar. He did and it worked like a charm. He told me that he had several long discussions about 5th Gens with the guy and he really knows his stuff. This is the guy that Austin Withrow needs to be talking to. I think that the guy works at the London, KY dealership, which is only about 10 miles from Corbin, where Austin is located.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #95
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
If all control modules are removed from the donor car and put on the new car why would anything have to be reset.You would think that all would still communicate with each other as if they were still in the donor car.Just my opinion but I could be wrong.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #96
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
So Austin, you slacking or something, LOL? Where are our updates man.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #97
AustinWithrow

Have had bad weather around my area. And the car is outsude. We are trying to figure out what modules and stuff have to be changed from a v6 to a v8 before we start teeing my car apart. My papaw wants to make a plan on paper before we start so we know what all has to be swapped! Will update as soon as we start working!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #98
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Have had bad weather around my area. And the car is outsude. We are trying to figure out what modules and stuff have to be changed from a v6 to a v8 before we start teeing my car apart. My papaw wants to make a plan on paper before we start so we know what all has to be swapped! Will update as soon as we start working!
Smart man. Document everything along the way. Not only with this help you with the initial swap but help you if you encounter issues afterwards. Plus something to aid others too.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote