Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #225
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Thanks for the input. I am definately a newby at all this and need all the info I can get. At this point (not that I will tell the tuner this) unless I want to do some serious travel, he is about the only game in town. Other places I have contacted either can't do it or won't return my calls/emails. He did say he would only charge me for what he ends up doing & that it is just a guestimate basicly so we shall see. I just want to go in with a little knowledge so I don't get screwed over totally. I know first hand that if you seem ignorant or just because you are female, automotive places will try to jack up prices & charge you for stuff you don't need. I have fought that battle too many times.

I do plan to call some places in Ky, east & west Tennessee just to get their estimate so I have some other basis for comparison.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #226
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Frost you make some great points that people should use before picking out a tuner. Us LLT people do have one thing going for us. The HPT suite already tunes the LFX ECU which quite a few tuners have been tuning successfully. From all that's been seen so far the read of the LLT is very similar in configuration. I guess looking into tuners that have done an LFX could be a benefit.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #227
J_Vibe92

Drives: 2013 Mustang 5.0
hows the tuning been for a full bolt on LFX? im assuming the gains they have gotten will be similar to us, with a slight edge maybe cause of headers? (idk)
Visual mods: Eagle Eyes w/5k hids, Custom Hood Spears, Heritage Grille, Stage 2 LED Dome lights,Transformer Emblems, PD Bezels, 19in Chevy rims with pirellis, Blue painted calipers, GM GFX Front Splitter, 35/20 % Tint, TailLight Tint(charcoal)
1/4 Mile: 13.65 sec @ 102.53 mph R.I.P.
J_Vibe92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #228
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
hows the tuning been for a full bolt on LFX? im assuming the gains they have gotten will be similar to us, with a slight edge maybe cause of headers? (idk)
Doubt it. In all honesty, I don't see hp tuners offering more than the current tunes are. I'd gladly love to be proven wrong but I feel like it's honestly more about being able to tune yourself and log more than anything else. I'll gladly take that though. I want a true dyno tune and not a tune I have to be emailing someone who may or may not ignore me at any moment

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #229
Frost

Drives: GM anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
.. I just want to go in with a little knowledge so I don't get screwed over totally. I know first hand that if you seem ignorant or just because you are female, automotive places will try to jack up prices & charge you for stuff you don't need. I have fought that battle too many times.

Yeah we do a lot of clean-up from that unfortunately.

I don't sell any parts other than HPTuner's. I manage the GM projects for Performance Auto Sport and my tuning business is in the same shop. For many of the builds I tell the customers exactly what to buy so that they can price shop until they are satisfied. Because of those things, I can be very honest about the results of many parts on both the dyno and track. At the end of the day, we stay in business not because of anything having to do with the web, but because our local work has led to more work through happy customers.

As I re-read my last post it reads a bit harsh and I didn't mean it that way at all; I was just breaking it down to point things out. It takes a lot of monthly $$ to keep a brick and mortar shop in business every month.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:02 PM   #230
RubyCamaro
Jan

No offence taken. I appreciate the input. I'm really excited & anxious to get this stuff done & I am all about doing things right the first time. And I am enjoying learning. I like paying it forward helping other folks out and supporting vendors who help me & treat me right. I try to do my homework to the point that .......well, it just gets waaaaaaaaay over my pay grade. LOL Chime in anytime.

Last edited by RubyCamaro; 03-13-2014 at 06:13 AM.
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #231
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Aint going to drop no names yet. But a good tuner and friend on here just confirmed also that he has been reading LLT file with the current HPT update. And the files are similar as said earlier here to the LFX.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Old 03-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #232
RubyCamaro
Jan

So are the LFX guys pleased with the HP tune?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #233
white ZL1

Drives: none
Ruby I hope you understand that HP Tuners is a software that allows someone to read, modify, and re-write the factory calibration? Its not a "tune". The quality of the tune, or whether or not someone likes it, is entirely in the hands of the person making the modifications to the calibration.
In other words, ther is no canned tune here. You definitely want to make sure you do your homework when you select someone to do this work for you.

Your last question would be similar to someone asking if people were pleased with their excel spreadsheet.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #234
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
Ruby I hope you understand that HP Tuners is a software that allows someone to read, modify, and re-write the factory calibration? Its not a "tune". The quality of the tune, or whether or not someone likes it, is entirely in the hands of the person making the modifications to the calibration.
In other words, ther is no canned tune here. You definitely want to make sure you do your homework when you select someone to do this work for you.

Your last question would be similar to someone asking if people were pleased with their excel spreadsheet.
+1 get someone that's done a V6 or has ties to a shop who does so they can get help until they can do it themselves. Sometimes you get a tuner that is just gifted and can tune anything because they know what to look for and what to adjust.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #235
RubyCamaro
Jan

I am having trouble getting quotes to show up, let me try this again.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #236
RubyCamaro
Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Doubt it. In all honesty, I don't see hp tuners offering more than the current tunes are. I'd gladly love to be proven wrong but I feel like it's honestly more about being able to tune yourself and log more than anything else. I'll gladly take that though. I want a true dyno tune and not a tune I have to be emailing someone who may or may not ignore me at any moment
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
+1 get someone that's done a V6 or has ties to a shop who does so they can get help until they can do it themselves. Sometimes you get a tuner that is just gifted and can tune anything because they know what to look for and what to adjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Frost you make some great points that people should use before picking out a tuner. Us LLT people do have one thing going for us. The HPT suite already tunes the LFX ECU which quite a few tuners have been tuning successfully. From all that's been seen so far the read of the LLT is very similar in configuration. I guess looking into tuners that have done an LFX could be a benefit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Vibe92 View Post
Okay, I get that but I was referring back to the comment of lscamaro above in wondering if the LSX folks have been pleased with the outcomes they have been getting with the tuning suite paramaters since they may be similar to ours.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #237
white ZL1

Drives: none
The parameters will be nearly identical. Whteher or not someone is pleased with their tune depends on the tuner doing the work, not necessarily the parameters made editable by the software.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #238
SV6GUY
Endlessly Wrenching

Drives: VE SV6 S2 manual
Will using HPTuners for LLT be familiar to those tune LSx motors? or will there be a learning curve for the tuner?
SV6GUY is offline   Reply With Quote