Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Cbaublitz

Drives: inferno orange lfx 2013
dyno tune with SCT

i have a local shop that will dyno tune my car using SCT. wondering if it is worth it or not. i have VMAXX throttle body, CAI, mrt v2 exhaust, hurst short throw shifter. dont want to spend the money if its not worth the gains i would get.
just wondering opinions from people. i work on cars for a living but lack in the tunning area. what gains can really be made. in the aspect of power and reliability.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
The software doesn't matter, it's the tuner qualifications that makes the tune.
Have you searched this shop for there experience with GM tuning?
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Cbaublitz

i have looked into them some. they major in american cars. ford gm etc..
i have two friends who have gotten their cars tuned there. they are older tho. ones a 69 other is like a 2001 or 2002.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Gotta agree with Slowhawk on this. Tuner experience make a world of difference. Lots of wanna be tuners hunting and pecking.
On the other had for LLTs there just isn't a package available out there yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for HPT.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaublitz View Post
i have a local shop that will dyno tune my car using SCT. wondering if it is worth it or not. i have VMAXX throttle body, CAI, mrt v2 exhaust, hurst short throw shifter. dont want to spend the money if its not worth the gains i would get.
just wondering opinions from people. i work on cars for a living but lack in the tunning area. what gains can really be made. in the aspect of power and reliability.
Hello, I don't believe SCT has tuning support for the V6 models.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
Cbaublitz

ok, i asked them if they could do it and havent heard back. maybe that is why then. thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Frost

Drives: GM anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
The software doesn't matter, it's the tuner qualifications that makes the tune.
Have you searched this shop for there experience with GM tuning?
While I tend to agree with Don here (and in general actually ) because their editing tool is just fine.... the SCT scan tool is a bit of a joke compared to the offerings from HPTuner's and EFI Live. At my last checking, they also have no custom OS's, so it's coefficient VE ONLY.

I'd *LOVE* to see someone try and do the speed density side with ONLY SCT for editing AND data logging. Most shops that are SCT-exclusive for their main tool, are or were Ford based. That is SCT's meat and potatoes after all. While there is nothing wrong with that, they are the first ones that go straight to MAF-ONLY (because Ford's are MAF-only with MAF failure going to Alpha-N fueling) and act like you need a doctorate degree in physics to get the VE modelling in-line. Some tuners will even flatly refuse to DO speed density tuning. While I like the MAF very much in newer cars, it's still prudent to do VE down low and still have some blending vs. moving to all MAF right off the bat.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaublitz View Post

a Dyno tune is always worth it....for me tho nothing but HPTuners

Frost said it best ......nuff said
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote