Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #29
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I had the same feeling when I bought my ZL1. The car felt no quicker than my modded lt1. I would've given it a mid 12 second car at best. Seat of the pants can be deceiving though. First time at the track, the car ran in the 11s bone stock. The power delivery is so smooth and linear, it just doesn't feel like it's all that quick. The track scale said it weighed 4480 with me in it. That's where all that horsepower is going.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #30
IXLR8

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2013 View Post
Thanks, The first questions I asked when I got in the car was what fuel is in it. He said they put 93 in all there sports cars on the lot. That's recommended from the factory. You know a car salesman never lies

No pinging the motor sounded fine.

The car was a little bit faster but It really felt like my SS would have kept right with it. It sure didn't feel like 155 horsepower difference. I would have loved to run them side by side to the light and see. I can't say for sure that the car had 93 in it but the salesman said it did. It had less than a quarter of fuel in the tank. The broken in part is very true but it still was a let down. The reason I went to look at the car is it listed at 60k something but they were trying to move it for 52k. They would have taken 50k for it I'm sure. I had every intention of making the deal today. I just couldn't do it though after driving it.
10k off the sticker seems like a great deal, is that the norm for 13's ? Seems below dealer cost.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:00 AM   #31
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
I think every ZL1 owner here including myself knows that they could own a Corvette for the same money, but in truth they are two totally different cars marketed to a specific buyer.

I have driven the SS and was very impressed until I test drove a ZL1. After that I couldn't settle for anything less. All the time I was saving my pennies I never once considered the Corvette.

If you look at the stats for the ZL1 in a recent road course test I believe it placed 3rd overall against some of the most expensive and best true sports cars money can buy (The 1LE did very, very well also). Those types of articles help people like myself become more willing to fork over the extra 20k or whatever the price difference is. I just wanted the car no matter what and walked right by that beautiful, shiny, 2013 Grand Sport on the showroom floor to buy it.

And as others have said, seat of the pants can be deceiving. Line up a stock SS vs a ZL1 and all you will see is tail lights which will become more distant as the awesome top end power of the ZL1 takes command, where the SS runs out of steam at 155 mph. I drove it wide open in Utah at the Salt flats and had it up to 171 with plenty of power on tap seemingly.

This is the video that sold me.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #32
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Drive it over 150 next time you test drive. LOL.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #33
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
I think the biggest issue would be the fact that the car isn’t broken in yet.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #34
Jakeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Having had a 2012 2SS/RS and putting 8 k into it for mods such as headers, diff, CAI, exhaust and tunes, I can say that car was fast, but stock ZL1 blows it away. So then, I was thinking of another 10k for supercharger, injectors, fuel, pump, etc. And that still would not give me what I get from the ZL1.
I owned a CTS V (2006) and loved it, but its big. Test drove a 2011 CTS V coupe and found it heavy in the turns.
Vettes and Camaros, very different. I find the ZL1 to be the most fun out of the group.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #35
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikss View Post
yea a lot of zl1 owners get like that lol specialy wen i posted about beating one lmao wit long tubes exhaust and a super chip.. but its just the truth even the person in the zl1 gave me props they like my car a lot he had just traded his ss cause it wasn't fast enough so I'm glad i won they kinda were like dam didn't think an ss could move like that of course he had his ss tune only i think... al though there zl1 was stock but still its 580hp... i might be pushing 420ish to the crank wit the super chip...
Translation please.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #36
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
There is your problem, it was manual

LMAO! Get ready for all the stick drivers to light you up, because they're faster, of course. (In their minds)

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #37
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
To the OP , next time try to get up from your bed , and just run as hard you can
Your times will shock you

Same thing with the car , the dealer car was on the back , just seating in there cold .
Should I keep going ?
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #38
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie scar View Post
I think the biggest issue would be the fact that the car isn’t broken in yet.
This. My advice go test drive a used one with some miles on it and make sure it has the proper fuel in it. Tell us if its the same experience.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #39
LuckyZL-1
Ragtop Rocket!!!

Drives: Black on Black Convertible
Had to be something wrong with ZL-1 or you might be kind if attached to your SS and maybe really didn't want to get rid of it to the point that your expectations were too high. I test drove both a SS and a ZL-1 and there was no comparison. A coworker bought an SS right after I got my car and we had his car for breakfast one day. Hell several times he dont learn! And that was before mods!
ADM custom cam, LPE stage 2 heads with dual valve springs, LS-3 ported throttle body, LPE 2 piece pulley, LPE overdrive balancer, 10% overdrive pulley, ported supercharger inlet, ADM race intake system, stainless works 1-7/8 headers, Injector Dynamics injectors, ADM heat exchanger, ADM dual fuel pump system, ADM exhaust switch, ADM 3 tunes tuning package.
744rwhp 727rwtq
LuckyZL-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #40
ntrimm

Drives: 2013 ZL1. Black on Black on Black
Dude, there is 154 more horsepower than your SS. The SS is a great car, but the ZL1 is much faster and if you can't feel the extra 154 HP then something is wrong with the car....or you
ntrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #41
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sikss View Post
yea a lot of zl1 owners get like that lol specialy wen i posted about beating one lmao wit long tubes exhaust and a super chip.. but its just the truth even the person in the zl1 gave me props they like my car a lot he had just traded his ss cause it wasn't fast enough so I'm glad i won they kinda were like dam didn't think an ss could move like that of course he had his ss tune only i think... al though there zl1 was stock but still its 580hp... i might be pushing 420ish to the crank wit the super chip...
pardon my ignorance but WTF is a super chip?

I'm pretty sure you mean a tune. The last time I saw a chip I was in college and owned a rustang. Camaros are tuned by flashing the ECM
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #42
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro2ss2013 View Post
I know I'm going to get flamed for this post but its my honest opinion. I found a good deal on a new 2013 Camaro ZL1 (30 miles on it) so i went to go look at it. When I pulled up a salesman came out and said yea we have it here its around back getting washed. Long story short he brought it around and threw the keys at me and said lets go for a ride. When I got in I said I'm going to put it through its paces. He looked at me laughed and said drive it how you want. I turned the traction control off and right out of the lot I had a quarter mile to the light with no one around so I floored it and ran through the gears. I was expecting to be pushed back in the seat and have perma grin from the extra horses. Instead it was a total let down. It didn't feel like it had much more power than my SS. We then took it around some corners with speed and I could tell that the suspension was better than my SS but not all that much. If I could have tracked the car my opinion may have been different. We were on a public road so I could only push it so far. I did like the transmission that was in the car. It just felt better changing gears and was a lot shorter shifts than my SS. Needless to say I went to test drive it with all intentions of trading mine in on it but I left with my SS.
Hmm. With 30 miles on the odometer the car wasn't broken in. And what I found out when I test drove the car the passengers head will indeed be snapped back to the seat. The car is fast in that regards. For the price you could have gotten the ZL1 for show me another car stock that compares in it's class.

I'm not saying I don't believe your story about immediately trading in your SS but typically the dealerships atleast in my area don't just give you the keys without filling paperwork out for your trade in and such.

I'm not sure if your SS is stock or not but your SS and the ZL1 doesn't even compare. If you had a 1LE I'd say I can understand your point but your SS? Sorry but I don't it seems like your reaching. SS suspension and ZL1 don't just feel different by much, it FEELS different. Personally I don't think you wanted the extra payment, or maybe you couldn't afford it? Who knows but to sit and say you didn't feel much of a difference? Your equilibrium is jacked up.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote