Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
ZL1 Differential Swap

Just checking to see if anyone had done a ZL1 swap into an SS as of yet. I know that the Differential, axles, hubs have to be swapped. I am looking to see if the cradle and driveshaft has to be swapped out also. Any info I would appreciate it, this is going to be my winter project for this car

2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
I know someone that has done it and he had the Cradle, Driveshaft and Axles replaced.
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #3
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
I was going to do the same thing this winter but, I have been keeping track of some of the ZL1 owners saying they can hear gear whine from their rear.
I have heard two ZL1s with the stock exhaust, it is a much more aggressive exhaust than an SS in my opinion and if they can hear gear whine over that, there is a definite issue.
Some of the owners have gone to their dealers for the issue but, I haven't seen much posted on what the results have been.
I obviously don't think it's a bad idea as an upgrade for an SS or I wouldn't be seriously considering it myself, but it's probably also prudent to wait a little while longer and see how some of them really hold up in the actual ZL1s before dumping over $3k in parts alone........just a thought.
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
It requires the driveshaft, cradle, differential, axles, and hubs. I've heard the cost for those parts all together is in the $6000-$6500 range.
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
MA2010SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@HPE View Post
It requires the driveshaft, cradle, differential, axles, and hubs. I've heard the cost for those parts all together is in the $6000-$6500 range.

$418 RH axle
$418 LH axle
$528 Driveshaft for 6SPD
$2130 Differential complete 6Spd
$248 Rear Hub
$248 Rear Hub
$??? Rear cradle (haven't found a price yet) taking a guess that the cradle is around $800

I'm at $3990 without the cradle from gmpartsdistributor.com so $6000-$6500 is right with install labor included, but I would be doing my own install, guess wait for the 12bolt hammer head kit
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
firefighter1

Drives: 625 rwhp red jewel ss COTW 11-8-10
Done

I just swapped mine complete out for this exact set up with Andy at ADM. we also added the ZL1 differential cooler lines. I also went ahead and did the ZL1 Exhaust because my ss magnaflow exhaust had clearance issues with the much larger zl1 differential. If interested in this contactd Andy at ADM. he has all the parts, brackets, and parts list and his price is VERY reasonable! I have 500 miles on it so far so I haven't hammered it yet. I'm fixing to change the dif fluid and then I'm going to beat on it some.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter1 View Post
I just swapped mine complete out for this exact set up with Andy at ADM. we also added the ZL1 differential cooler lines. I also went ahead and did the ZL1 Exhaust because my ss magnaflow exhaust had clearance issues with the much larger zl1 differential. If interested in this contactd Andy at ADM. he has all the parts, brackets, and parts list and his price is VERY reasonable! I have 500 miles on it so far so I haven't hammered it yet. I'm fixing to change the dif fluid and then I'm going to beat on it some.

Please keep us posted on how it's holding up, I know there are a few of us on the fence ready to see good results before we pull the trigger.
Thanks!
fastkevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
MA2010SS

Quote:
Good stuff, I know that the pricing is going to be pretty good going with this type of setup. Now did Andy modify your cradle to make the differential fit or is it swapped out for the ZL1 cradle? I will be contacting Andy for sure. Also thanks for the heads up with the magnaflow that is what I have right now

Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
firefighter1

changed the diff fluid saturday and it was CLEAN. No problems there. found some nice flat roads and hammered it a bit and the car is grabbing hard. I'm very happy with the swap.

We did swap the craddle. I think when you look at the cost of the craddle vs. the labor to modify the stock you will see why it's such an easier choice. We used the zl1 sub frame bushings too. They are stiffer than the stock SS bushings. car is more solid in the rear. From a hard accelerations the car seems to want to break the tires loose more. I'm not getting the hard "squat" like it did before. I'm playing with tire pressures now to see ....

Daily driving it, it's firmer on the small road bumps, but other than this it's not bad at all. I'm sure the magnetic ride takes that out on the zl1 cars. But for a lowered car I can't really feel much of a difference.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
MA2010SS

Quote:
changed the diff fluid saturday and it was CLEAN. No problems there. found some nice flat roads and hammered it a bit and the car is grabbing hard. I'm very happy with the swap.

We did swap the craddle. I think when you look at the cost of the craddle vs. the labor to modify the stock you will see why it's such an easier choice. We used the zl1 sub frame bushings too. They are stiffer than the stock SS bushings. car is more solid in the rear. From a hard accelerations the car seems to want to break the tires loose more. I'm not getting the hard "squat" like it did before. I'm playing with tire pressures now to see ....

Daily driving it, it's firmer on the small road bumps, but other than this it's not bad at all. I'm sure the magnetic ride takes that out on the zl1 cars. But for a lowered car I can't really feel much of a difference.

Good reveiw regarding the swap, I think that this is probably the route I am going to go with for a winter project on my car, cost is going to be right and I will also change out the fuel pump to the ZL1.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
firefighter1

I too have done the zl1 fuel pump and have the KB boost a pump on my set up. This works great. I was having problems of the car getting very lean at high rpms, but since the upgrade it's been great and I don't get that sputter at the top of my rpm band!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
MA2010SS

Right now I have the MSD Boost pump that came with the whipple kit, I haven't had any sputtering RPM issues, but I also turned my rev limiter down to 6000RPM just in case. The car has more in it, but I don't want to risk the stock pump running out even with the boost pump
Old 10-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #13
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I have a question. If you are looking at spending $4000-$5000 in parts alone, why would you not move up to an aftermarket 9" kit? Wouldn't the 9" kit be much stronger?

I have a similar set up.(Whipple, Cam, Headers, 4.11s). I'm currently around 650rwhp. I am trying to decide which route is better. Does anyone have any advice?
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Does the 1LE differential require a new cradle? I wouldnt mind getting a little less gear in the rear. my 4.11's are great but a little more fuel economy on the highway would be nice.