Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 10-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #15
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
I agree with yota. I usually start the morning in sport 1 before the tires get any heat in them, just to keep things tidy. Then usually move to race or turn things off depending on how well its hooking or rotating.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:22 PM   #16
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Track mode with all nannies on feels pretty terrible on an autocross course...I don't recommend it. I went to an autocross practice event shortly after getting the car and tried that, then each PTM mode, then everything off (there were way more runs than a normal autox event). I agree with others that starting in PTM Race mode should be good if there is nothing close to the course that could damage the car if you lose control. You will probably still be able to feel some interference from it though.

Everything off is best once you get comfortable. It is noticeably better/faster than Race and easier to feel when the car starts to slide so you can catch it quicker and reduce the chances of spinning or overcorrecting IMO. I would agree with PTM Sport 1 for a first track day but IMO it intervenes too much for you to have any hope of posting a competitive autocross time.

If you can ride along with someone in the same or a similar car or have someone experienced drive yours for a few runs while you are a passenger, you will probably be impressed at the car's capabilities! Ask the workers and you can probably find someone to ride with you to provide some coaching/feedback too!

I always leave the steering in touring mode for street/track/autox but I guess that is a personal preference.

The 2017-18 front splitters are made of thin plastic and hollow inside. Assuming the 19+ splitter uses the same plastic thickness, don't be surprised if you crack it on a cone eventually if you do a lot of autox events but there should be more durable plastic replacements available that look OEM.

Enjoy!
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
I ran the Camarocross finals in Sport 1 at Camaro Fest and took 1st place in my class.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Just want to say thanks. I ended up with the fastest time in my class and 2nd on index. I started on PTM Race, built up confidence and turned everything off. I immediately spun on the fastest part of the course. But I didn't hit any cones and finished the run. Fastest time was on Race though.
We had some extra lapping time at the end of the day, so I practiced with everything off. After two runs it felt great and I could really control my line with the right foot.
I actually started clipping cones with the inside rear wheel because I could turn the car so much better. I turned Race back on just for shits and giggles but I could really feel it interfering. Next time I will run everything off.
Also got to meet JRL1LE which was great. Thanks man!
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by funked1 View Post
Just want to say thanks. I ended up with the fastest time in my class and 2nd on index. I started on PTM Race, built up confidence and turned everything off. I immediately spun on the fastest part of the course. But I didn't hit any cones and finished the run. Fastest time was on Race though.
We had some extra lapping time at the end of the day, so I practiced with everything off. After two runs it felt great and I could really control my line with the right foot.
I actually started clipping cones with the inside rear wheel because I could turn the car so much better. I turned Race back on just for shits and giggles but I could really feel it interfering. Next time I will run everything off.
Also got to meet JRL1LE which was great. Thanks man!
Great job Mike! Hope to see you again
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote