Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-02-2019, 07:47 AM   #1359
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
At this point I think Ford is going overboard with this delay on getting details out on the GT500. There is literally no reason now for them to be holding back any info. I think it is immature and silly. They waited extra long with the 18 GT and the PP2. And here they are doing the same thing when there is no reason. The RE numbers have been out. And nobody has anything waiting to surprise them if they put the info out. I mean, what, is GM gonna announce a 736HP Z28 right after Ford announces that the GT500 will have 735HP? This is the stupidest thing I have seen them do especially in this day and age. They probably even lost a handful of customers who got tired of waiting and decided to just buy a ZL1, Hellcat, Z06, or Redeye.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:10 AM   #1360
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
At this point I think Ford is going overboard with this delay on getting details out on the GT500. There is literally no reason now for them to be holding back any info. I think it is immature and silly. They waited extra long with the 18 GT and the PP2. And here they are doing the same thing when there is no reason. The RE numbers have been out. And nobody has anything waiting to surprise them if they put the info out. I mean, what, is GM gonna announce a 736HP Z28 right after Ford announces that the GT500 will have 735HP? This is the stupidest thing I have seen them do especially in this day and age. They probably even lost a handful of customers who got tired of waiting and decided to just buy a ZL1, Hellcat, Z06, or Redeye.

Sounds to me like the GT500 isnt performing as well as they expected and they want to delay the disappointment as long as possible. Like you already said no other reason that I can think of why they haven't said anything else.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:25 AM   #1361
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Press Days for NYIAS are coming up, so it would have made sense for them to announce it there. But, Ford doesn’t have a press conference scheduled. Lincoln does (Corsair), but Ford does not, so one more opportunity passed.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #1362
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I agree with you and Blaq in regards to FCA’s condition. That’s why I choose not to give them an F. They are making lemonade out of lemons. They are definitely living in the now. Mortgaging their CAFE future for the option pricing today. I also don’t give them an F because they are maintaining sales volume in a vehicle segment that is reducing in size. So, yes they are only maintaining volume, not really growing it, but they are getting the same size slice out of a pie that is getting smaller. Meaning somebody (Camaro, unfortunately) is getting an even smaller slice than they are used to.

Living in the now will likely catch up with FCA, unless it successfully partners with someone else or its valued pieces (Jeep, Ram) get sold off or acquired. But then, I’ve been saying that for pretty much five years now and it hasn’t happened yet.
Yep. Totally living in the now and like you said, unless they partner up with someone they are gong to crash and burn as a company in the near future I believe.

Quote:
And that is fine...but the price is way too high. The HC was already high at $70K MSRP. The RE is dramatically more expensive. The Trackhawk is cool but it is well over $90K. And it's competition is the X5M which keeps up with it, has more features, and is luxury. I assume the Durango with HC power will likewise be high $90K...probably even more seeing as how the Durango is typically more expensive than the Grand Cherokee. Their hope seems to be that it'll drive people to them like the HC did when people started buying the SRT8s and R/Ts. And it might work for the Durango for the 2 years it'll take them to get their shit together. But that is only a 2 year plan and we know what they have in store. For the CHally, there isn't even any mention of anything in store. So it would have to be more than 2 years before any changes are made. That puts us at 2021 and 11+ years on the same platform. Will we see something in 2022? Who knows? What if, like alluded to earlier, emissions standards get very strict and the HC engine variants are no longer an option? That would spell disaster for them. To me they are taking a huge gamble and are dangling their feet off the ledge of oblivion. It might pay off or it might buy them time but it doesn't look good from where I stand.
I agree with you the prices are insane, but the amount of SRT Durango and SRT Jeeps I see on the road people are willing plunk down the money (and finance for 84+ months). But I totally agree. The long term outlook for Fiat looks awful. They are gambling with the future outlook to make today look good.

Quote:
Or here's a thought. Perhaps FCA has no intentions of changing anything. Perhaps they're stuck and figure they'll just milk this for what it's worth until sales dip to where it is no longer worth production or emissions standards forces them to shut it down.
That has been my old mans thought for a while. They are just going to wring it out to the very end. Milk the Chargallenger for everything it has then if they have to just shutter Dodge and Chrysler and just move forward with Jeep and Ram.

Quote:
There was a video that came out maybe a week or two ago from a Mustang event where one of the head guys from Ford Performance was talking about the GT500. He said they are going to wait until the very last possible minute to release the final hp numbers. I believe he said until they have to submit it to the EPA they are going to keep tinkering. His reasoning was that he didn't want to do what they did with the GT500 in 07 when they released it. Before it was released they said 450HP, then a few weeks later they said its going to be 475 and then right before release they got it up 500. He said he didn't want to go through that again so they are going to wait till the last possible moment. Take that for what it's worth, just relaying the message
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #1363
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That has been my old mans thought for a while. They are just going to wring it out to the very end. Milk the Chargallenger for everything it has then if they have to just shutter Dodge and Chrysler and just move forward with Jeep and Ram.
That is how it looks to me also. Separating Ram from Dodge. News reports that Jeep alone is worth more than the whole business...

Also, when Marchionne did the five year plan last year. Dodge and Chrysler weren't mentioned

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #1364
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
That is how it looks to me also. Separating Ram from Dodge. News reports that Jeep alone is worth more than the whole business...

Also, when Marchionne did the five year plan last year. Dodge and Chrysler weren't mentioned
It actually makes sense if you think about it. Dodge has the Chargallenger, Journey, Durango and Grand Caravan. Chrylser has the 300 and Pacifica. It wouldn't shock me one bit to see them just shutter Dodge and Chrylser and just role with Ram and Wrangler.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #1365
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
It actually makes sense if you think about it. Dodge has the Chargallenger, Journey, Durango and Grand Caravan. Chrylser has the 300 and Pacifica. It wouldn't shock me one bit to see them just shutter Dodge and Chrylser and just role with Ram and Wrangler.
Maybe they are thinking along the same lines as Ford. Eliminate all cars other than the Challenger/Charger. Ford is doing this with the Mustang.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:28 PM   #1366
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Maybe they are thinking along the same lines as Ford. Eliminate all cars other than the Challenger/Charger. Ford is doing this with the Mustang.
true but Ford at least has a full compliment of SUV/CUV and trucks. Eco-sport, Escape, Edge, Explorer, Expedition, Ranger, F-150, Super Duty.

They just gonna stick the Chargallanger in with Ram?
Old 04-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #1367
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Quote:
true but Ford at least has a full compliment of SUV/CUV and trucks. Eco-sport, Escape, Edge, Explorer, Expedition, Ranger, F-150, Super Duty.

They just gonna stick the Chargallanger in with Ram?
They could just fold Ram back under the Dodge name and have the trucks, Durango, and Chargallenger. That wouldn't be the most confusing thing they've ever done.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 04-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #1368
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
They could just fold Ram back under the Dodge name and have the trucks, Durango, and Chargallenger. That wouldn't be the most confusing thing they've ever done.
Rolling Ram back into Dodge would be logical, I never understood the reason for breaking it out to begin with. In the meantime I am awaiting my Ecodiesel Settlement check
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #1369
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The Durango is supposed to go onto the truck chassis but it got delayed. So I'm not sure when it will happen. FCA says it will be an extra 2 years. Whether Dodge will acquire Ram or what is unknown to me at this point. Newmoon, you're a Dodge fan, you should know all of this...
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #1370
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
When you look into the FCA corporate profits and company issues it does not look like the main issues are in North America as 85.5% of profits for FCA were generated here, not sure what happened outside of NA but issues in Europe and China look to be the main issue. The impact that those outside forces will have on the NA operations will increase the longer they not addressed.

The last thing I heard about the future of the Challenger platform was last year, and it was indicated that they would remodel the current chassis to address weight and handling, so we would need to wait and see how NA operations are affected by other factors to see if that changes the plans for the Challenger/Charger.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #1371
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Rolling Ram back into Dodge would be logical, I never understood the reason for breaking it out to begin with. In the meantime I am awaiting my Ecodiesel Settlement check
The original reason was to make Dodge more of a performance division, Chrysler more upscale, and Ram kind of the "GMC" of FCA. All trucks all the time. It made sense back then, after walking back from making SRT its own division and back when Dodge had more cars. But, with Dart and 200 dead it makes less sense these days.

So now they have Chrysler with 2 nameplates. Really just one (Pacifica) when 300 goes away, and Dodge with 5 (Challenger, Charger, Durango, Journey, and Grand Caravan, for however long that sticks around). Something's gotta give.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #1372
shaffe

Quote:
My guess was they were going to can Dodge and Chrysler and sell Jeep and ram since those are where the bulk of the profits made lol

Quote:
The original reason was to make Dodge more of a performance division, Chrysler more upscale, and Ram kind of the "GMC" of FCA. All trucks all the time. It made sense back then, after walking back from making SRT its own division and back when Dodge had more cars. But, with Dart and 200 dead it makes less sense these days.

So now they have Chrysler with 2 nameplates. Really just one (Pacifica) when 300 goes away, and Dodge with 5 (Challenger, Charger, Durango, Journey, and Grand Caravan, for however long that sticks around). Something's gotta give.
They just keep shooting themselves in the foot huh